Alternate LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBOMBARD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am applying to DO school for 2004 and have a question about LORs. It has been seven years since I was in school and was not in a pre-med program while there. Does anyone know which if any schools take other letters instead of advisory comittees or professors? I have worked in a hospital for two years and have many doctors and management people who have expressed an interest in writing letters. I just don't want to waste money applying to schools and not have a chance because of strict letter requirements. Any help would be freat and I hope to see some of you in 2004!

Members don't see this ad.

JBOMBARD,

Your best bet is to contact the director of admissions/admissions counselors of the schools that you are applying at for a definitive answer. I recently attended a conference at Western and Susan Hanson said that "alternative" letters may be acceptable, that you just need to approve it with her via a letter explaining the situation/your reason for not sending the letters that they "require."

I seriously doubt it will be a problem, so much as an extra hassle, and so long as your letters are strong and your reason for not sending a commitee letter is valid you will be fine!

From Western's Website:

"You are required to submit letters of recommendation from a Pre-Health Professions Committee (or the committee on your campus responsible for writing recommendations) and one physician. If such a committee does not exist at your college you are required to submit two evaluations from science professors (i.e., biology, chemistry, physics), one evaluation from a non-science professor and one evaluation from a physician.

The science/non-science letters must be from professors who have instructed you and the recommender should specify the course(s). All recommendations must be on the Western University form provided or on college or professional letterhead."

and from Western's secondary:

"APPLICANTS WHO HAVE NOT TAKEN CLASSES FOR 5 OR MORE YEARS:

If you have been out of school for five or more years and are unable to secure the required letters, you must write a seperate letter to the Chair of the Admissions Committee stating the reason(s) why you are unable to obtain the required letters and request that other recommendations be accepted in lieu of the required ones. Your letter must include a list of the recommenders and length and nature of your relationships with them. Your request will be reviewed and you will be notified of the committee's decision."

Touro's website isnt as informative for your specific situation... their FAQ page says,

"What letters of recommendation does TUCOM require me to submit with my secondary application?

Answer: Applicants are required to submit one letter of recommendation from a D.O. (a letter from an M.D. may be used to fulfill this requirement) together with either a pre-professional committee letter OR two letters from basic science faculty. Original letters or copies of original letters mailed directly to TUCOM by the author and/or Pre-Professional Committee are acceptable."

just email admissions counselor Steven Davis ([email protected]) and he will give you the answer you are looking for!

If there is anything else I can do, just ask!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]