Allow me to vent for a moment about Ativan.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.LeoSpaceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I swear 75% of patients aren't on the floor for 15 minutes before asking for it "to sleep".

Let me save them time: If you weren't on it at home, you aren't getting it here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure that we can even blame some/most patients.

I suspect that in many cases, they complain to the nurse about insomnia and instead of doing things like telling staff at the station to STFU, offer the patient a blanket, warm drink, some socks, music, etc. the nurses immediately jump to the idea of medication.

Oh and I'm sorry: if its 1100 pm and you're complaining of being unable to sleep, unless you normally go to bed at 6 pm, its not insomnia until like 3 am.

Too true on the nursing staff. Both on being loud, and on being the ones who are actually making the suggestion. That call usually goes something like:

Nurse: "Hi, patient XYZ is asking for Ativan because they can't sleep. They say it's the only thing that works."
Me: "Well, considering they had a hypoxic arrest just last night, I don't really think that's safe."
Nurse: "Absolutely. That's what I told the patient, but I just wanted to run it by you."

Yeah, sure you did.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
but but but but it's really hard to sleep with the DTs!

let's be a little fair here, having a major whack and being stuck in a hospital bed would make one tend to have problems sleeping. It's not exactly a home environment. I always use a medication that is truly meant for sleep, like 5mg of ambien. I don't see how it's helpful to use a medication like benadryl with a thousand other side effects to help someone sleep. But to each their own

I heard some people have had good outcomes with propofol.

Reactions: 1 users