All these certifications

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this summer, I'm planning to take a class for CPR certification and one for first aid certification. Then I'll probably take a class in the fall to get an emt-1 certification. But just a question...what does all these certifications do on their own? And is it possible to volunteer on the ambulance even though I'm under 18? (Sorry not too clear on that)

Members don't see this ad.

what does all these certifications do on their own?
Not much, as far as I'm aware. It's just useful information.

And is it possible to volunteer on the ambulance even though I'm under 18?
I don't know about the legality of it, but I do know that most jobs in the health care industry want you to be at least 18 before they'll hire you. Volunteering I'm not sure about.

So this summer, I'm planning to take a class for CPR certification and one for first aid certification. Then I'll probably take a class in the fall to get an emt-1 certification. But just a question...what does all these certifications do on their own? And is it possible to volunteer on the ambulance even though I'm under 18? (Sorry not too clear on that)
1. Nothing, and I suspect you mean EMT-B.
2. Not unless you know someone who knows someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
depends where you live. some states allow folks to work as emt-b's at 16....I used to work with some when I was a medic....interesting experience.....

What's the difference between emt 1 and emt b? I see course offerings for both...

Do you know which states allows it?

What's the difference between emt 1 and emt b? I see course offerings for both...

Do you know which states allows it?
Are you talking about EMT-the number one or EMT- the letter i?

You have to be an EMT-B w/ experience before you can go for EMT-eye.

Thanks. I'll clarify that by asking the school :)

Though I can't work part time as an emt until I'm 18...I guess I'll have to wait until college for that

Thanks for that link, I read though alot of it.

I wanted to get a basic emt certification so I can work that as a side job in undergrad if I have time. I'd think it's quite interesting, but I wouldn't do it as a career.

Where are you looking to work with your EMT-B certification? I am currently an EMT in northern california and I don't know of any ambulance company that will let you work as an EMT is you are under 21 for insurance/driving reasons. One of them in SF even has a 23 y/o limit. I would look into this before getting your certification just to make sure you can use it (since you will have to get it renewed every 2-3 years). Different States/counties are all different, but it's defintely something you need to consider. I got mine one summer at a community college b/w junior and senior year and that worked great. PM me if you have any questions and good luck!

Dang! Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll probably call ambulance companies once I know where I'm going for college...hope it works out