This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSUCPMstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a KSUCPM student who has been selected to serve as a resource for any questions related to KSUCPM. Feel free to inquire about the application process, student life, workload, facilities, professors, or anything else. I will do my best to answer all questions in a honest, thorough, and timely manner.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there KSUCPMstudent. Thank you very much for helping us out. I just set up my interview date for the school and I am pretty excited. I am curious as to what the weather is like in the area there because I can coming from Florida. I know it will be cold, but I am hoping it will be bearable. Also I am curious as to what the student demographic is like in terms of diversity...Caucasians, African Americans, Asians, etc......also is the school gay friendly? That is of concern to me since I will be spending 4 years of my life there. Also do you have an idea of what kind of scholarships are available? What are the board pass rates, and the residency placement rates.....how many clinicals do you guys have before residency......I know I have so many questions lol, but I m very curious. Once again thank you for all your help :)

Hello, I am a KSUCPM student who has been selected to serve as a resource for any questions related to KSUCPM. Feel free to inquire about the application process, student life, workload, facilities, professors, or anything else. I will do my best to answer all questions in a honest, thorough, and timely manner.
What year are you in? I want to know about clinical exposure. I already interviewed there and was impressed by pretty much everything I saw, but after interviewing at other schools, I felt that the other schools saw way more patients in their clinics, however, I don't know how much exposure you get outside of the school's clinic. When I saw the schools clinic there didn't really seem to be any patients.
Another thing I want to know about is the simulation lab. What is it like? Other schools had some high tech dummies that they can have breathe, throw up, etc. I am wondering if Kent has something like that to offer.
I read somewhere on here that a student at Kent said their anatomy teacher was a 3rd year student at Kent State. Have you seen anything like this? I know I can't believe everything on here, but just wanting to make sure.
Do professors monitor your performance and approach you with help/solutions when they think you are falling behind?
Sorry for all the questions, just wanting a students perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, ReddMed 1991. Right now the weather is in the mid-60s and is expected to fluctuate between 40s-60s for the next couple weeks. I still wear shorts to class, yet I do not expect to do so much longer. However, coming from Florida you may be a little more sensitive to the cooler weather.

-Concerning the student demographic my class is predominantly Caucasian, but there is still a substantial amount of diversity. We have students from middle eastern countries, Canada, Europe, Africa, and parts of Asia. A typical class is usually comprised as follows:
Ethnicity
Caucasian: 66%
Asian/Pacific Islander: 14%
African American: 9%
Hispanic: 4%
Indian Pakistani: 3%
Native American: 1%
Alaskan Native: 1%
Unknown: 2%
Moreover, the students who are American citizens represent almost every state (I even have someone from Hawaii in my class). KSUCPM is welcoming to any student no matter what their nationality, religion, culture or background. I personally believe KSUCPM does a great job of bringing together a diverse group of qualified individuals. Not only does the diversity allow us (students) to learn about different perspectives, but as my class graduates and starts practicing, I feel we will be better prepared to connect with a broader range of individuals. I additionally want to note that the atmosphere at KSUCPM is one that most closely resembles a caring group of friends/family. The professors, faculty and upperclassmen want to see you succeed. Everyone on site at the school is there for the podiatry students exclusively. The focus is to make the best podiatric physicians possible, and I have yet to meet anyone (including) the students who were primarily concerned with anything else. It is honestly an amazing environment, and I hope you pick up on that when you visit.

-Concerning scholarships I know there are several merit based scholarships (mostly based on GPA and MCAT), some of which are quite substantial, however I do not want to misquote any standards or amounts so I would direct those questions to the admission faculty. However, I can tell you upon acceptance students automatically qualify for scholarships and KSUCPM offers over $600,000 in scholarships each year. It has been my experience that most individuals I know have received some amount of institutional scholarship (whether small or large).

-Concerning clerkships, KSUCPM requires 5 clerkships in addition to the Senior Clinical Medicine Rotations at local hospitals and clinics; Some Students will elect to attend a 6th clerkship. KSUCPM also maintains relationships with several nationally ranked hospitals including The Cleveland Clinic, MetroHealth, and University Hospitals. Cleveland is one of the best places to study medicine!

-Concerning the rates of residency placement and boards, I have ask a faculty member to compile the most recent results and I will post them as soon as I receive them.

Thanks for your time, I hope this of use. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Ernie044, I will send you a response as soon as I can.

Hello, ernie044. I am currently a first year. So in relation to clinical exposure at KSUCPM I will not be speaking from much experience, yet I do have an in depth understanding of what to expect (partly due to the duties/responsibilities I hold at the College).

-In regards to clinical exposure, KSUCPM manages the Cleveland Foot and Ankle Clinic (CFAC). CFAC has three locations: Midtown branch, Independence (at KSUCPM) branch, and the Kent State (main campus) branch. I am not sure which branch you experienced during your visit, but the midtown branch is usually the busiest. As a whole CFAC sees between 10,000 and 15,000 patients a year. When I first visited KSUCPM I was also curious about clinical exposure. However, when I spoke to several current students at the time of my interview about clinical exposure I was delighted to hear about the opportunities at KSUCPM. As a student at KSUCPM rotations at CFAC are only a portion of your clinical exposure. Third year students truly benefit from the world class healthcare facilities located near to the college. Moreover, KSUCPM maintains close relationships with the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, MetroHealth Medical Center and St. Vincent’s Charity Hospital. The clinical connections that KSUCPM provides to enrolled podiatric medical students is (in my opinion) one of the best assets the college has to offer.

-In regards the stimulation lab, KSUCPM does have a stimulation lab with high tech Manikins (dummies). The manikins can show “life like” symptoms/medical problems and vital signs can be measured similar to an actual human’s. One class that incorporates the high tech dummies also involves instruction pertaining to “patient interaction”. In this class students will be video recorded interacting with mock patients and feedback will be given to the student in a small group setting (students really enjoy this class).

-Concerning the 3rd-year student teacher post, I have not heard or experienced anything of this nature. At KSUCPM three professors teach anatomy/lower anatomy: Dr. Michael Landers (Gross Anatomy), Dr. Stephanie Belovich (gross and lower), Dr. Kathy Siesel (lower). All of the anatomy professors take their job very seriously, we are often reminded how valuable and applicable our knowledge in anatomy will be for our future as practicing physicians.

-Concerning the manner in which professors provide aid to “falling behind students”, the professors do have access to all grades of the students. However, a professor will not usually come to the students having difficulty. Instead, the professors will make it well known when he/she is available. The professors at KSUCPM are very open to helping all the students who want/need help. After every exam each professor gives an overview of the general performance of the exam and explains to the class if there is anyone who is not happy with their performance that they can set up a meeting with them anytime. The professors here truly want to see you succeed, and I am still amazed as to how available they make themselves to the students. Some professors even hand out their cell phone number on the syllabus and suggest that students call or text them with any questions.

-Thanks for your time, if you have any other questions please feel free to post anytime.

Reactions: 1 users
I put down my deposit yesterday and will be attending Kent in the Fall. Do you know anything about continuing scholarships? I got a $7500 scholarship for the first year, but am wondering if I can keep it through the next years by keeping my grades at a certain GPA.
Also, I am married with two young children. My wife stays home with the kids and I want them to feel safe. Are there any areas you would NOT recommend for us to live? The area around the school seemed nice but I didn't get to see the other cities around it while I was there.

I'm curious about living situations:

Where do most students live? I don't see many housing options in Independence. It seems like it'll be a bit of a commute. How is the driving situation in the snowy months? Are the roads maintained? Will a 4 wheel drive be needed?

I'm curious about living situations:

Where do most students live? I don't see many housing options in Independence. It seems like it'll be a bit of a commute. How is the driving situation in the snowy months? Are the roads maintained? Will a 4 wheel drive be needed?

Most first years live in either Parma (10 min drive) or North Royalton (15 min drive). I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and the roads are always maintained during winter, just drive slower and use you head. As for 4 wheel drive, it helps but I've never had a car with it.

Most first years live in either Parma (10 min drive) or North Royalton (15 min drive). I've lived in NE Ohio my whole life and the roads are always maintained during winter, just drive slower and use you head. As for 4 wheel drive, it helps but I've never had a car with it.
Huge help! Thanks so much

I put down my deposit yesterday and will be attending Kent in the Fall. Do you know anything about continuing scholarships? I got a $7500 scholarship for the first year, but am wondering if I can keep it through the next years by keeping my grades at a certain GPA.
Also, I am married with two young children. My wife stays home with the kids and I want them to feel safe. Are there any areas you would NOT recommend for us to live? The area around the school seemed nice but I didn't get to see the other cities around it while I was there.

Congratulations! ernie044,
Continuing scholarships are offered to students who maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout an entire year. In regards to finding a place to live, much like Robert De Niro said, most people live in Parma or North Royalton. While a smaller percentage of individuals live in suburbs of Cleveland (anywhere from 10-20min) or Akron/Fairlawn (15-20min drive). All of the small cities/towns near independence are safe areas to live. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that Independence has a nationally ranked school district (one of the best if not thee best public school district in Ohio), I am not sure how young exactly your children are, but it might be something you consider.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! ernie044,
Continuing scholarships are offered to students who maintain a 4.0 GPA throughout an entire year. In regards to finding a place to live, much like Robert De Niro said, most people live in Parma or North Royalton. While a smaller percentage of individuals live in suburbs of Cleveland (anywhere from 10-20min) or Akron/Fairlawn (15-20min drive). All of the small cities/towns near independence are safe areas to live. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is that Independence has a nationally ranked school district (one of the best if not thee best public school district in Ohio), I am not sure how young exactly your children are, but it might be something you consider.
My oldest will start elementary during my second year, so that is good to know. Is the only continuing scholarship the 4.0 GPA scholarship? Thanks for your info.

My oldest will start elementary during my second year, so that is good to know. Is the only continuing scholarship the 4.0 GPA scholarship? Thanks for your info.

From what I know that is the only one available, I would send a message to the admission faculty to make sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I interviewed on Oct 20 at KSUCPM and have not heard back from them. Does Kent contact you by email or phone or should I assume my acceptance letter got lost in the mail.

Just got an email today with an offer to interview. Probably gonna interview on February 12th or 13th. Anyone know much about interview day in terms of the schedule?

Just got an email today with an offer to interview. Probably gonna interview on February 12th or 13th. Anyone know much about interview day in terms of the schedule?

Congratulations ufcyclist! I'm glad you decided to apply to KSUCPM. The the general interview day consists:
1) A "welcome to the college" by a faculty member (Dean/assistand Dean)
2) Tour of college by student ambassadors (informal, questions about personal experiences/opinions of the college are encouraged)
3) Student panel (a time where interviewees can ask students more questions)
4) During panel interviewees will be pulled for their interview
5) Lunch (interviews continue, based on number of individuals interviewing that day)
6) Workshop/Demonstration of a foot examination or procedure

You will recieve a schedule of exact events the day of your interview.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

-Thanks

Anyone else here interviewing on February 25th and is staying at crowne plaza?

I'm curious for those of you who have gotten interviews, what is the general timeline from the time when your application got delivered to KSU until you were offered an interview? My application got officially submitted to KSU on Friday, Feb 20th. I'm anxiously waiting.

I got an email saying they received my application and transcripts today, but the Application Status says "Decision Made". I didn't get an email about an interview offer. Did anyone else get the Decision Made status? I hope it doesn't mean a "No Thanks".

Mine didn't say anything about a decision. It was basically a table showing what they have received and what they still need. All of the application information is there. There's an empty box next to "Interview" so hopefully that's good news.

I got the rejection from KSU. I guess they don't care about reinvention. They specifically mentioned my science GPA from 20+ years ago and not my 3.96 post bacc. It's ironic that they were the ones that sent a marketing email that made me look at podiatry in the first place.

Hello,

I interviewed on April 17th and on April 25th I received an email updating my application and saying that a decision has been made (seemed like an automated response email). I still haven't received any word as to what the decision actually is. Should I contact admissions or give them a few more days? Or is the "decision made" status without any further communication from Kent a rejection?

Hello,

I interviewed on April 17th and on April 25th I received an email updating my application and saying that a decision has been made (seemed like an automated response email). I still haven't received any word as to what the decision actually is. Should I contact admissions or give them a few more days? Or is the "decision made" status without any further communication from Kent a rejection?
I received the same message saying "decision made" and the next day I received an email from Carla with an acceptance letter. I think you should definitely call admissions or Carla and ask about the decision.

Hello,

You are always more than welcome to call/e-mail the admission staff. I would expect that they will be in contact with you sometime in the near future if you received a "decision made" e-mail, either way is fine. Good luck!

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.

Carla wasn't there for my interview day and I was also told that she would be out for a few days the following week so maybe that delayed the process? Regardless, if I don't hear anything tomorrow, I'll send out an email or give her a call. Just don't want to force her to give me a verbal rejection if I didn't get in lol

What was the interview process like? Is anyone else interviewing this Friday?

I received an interview invite but it was hiding in my junk mail and the next interview isn't until June, which worries me. Do you think I could ask if I could squeeze into an early interview? (I only live 20 mins from campus so travel arrangements wont be a problem). Would I look dumb if I asked?

Well I guess it was possible. Ill be interviewing this friday!

Also theyre shooting for 10-15 more seats in case anyones interested.

You mean they're looking to fill 10-15 more seats or they're looking for 10-15 more interviewees this week?

Hello @KSUCPMstudent !!!

I have an interview here tomorrow. I am really excited and hope they still have seats for me. Getting an acceptance would make my graduation so much sweeter. Thanks for your help. I enjoyed reading the forum.

You mean they're looking to fill 10-15 more seats or they're looking for 10-15 more interviewees this week?
Theyre looking to fill 10-15 more seats. Thats what they told me, which makes sense since their "invite only" facebook group for 2019 already has over 100 students.

That's interesting considering they are planning on interviewing until the end of June. I suppose they'll have to cancel.

That's interesting considering they are planning on interviewing until the end of June. I suppose they'll have to cancel.
I'm assuming that they are taking into consideration possible rejections.

What was the interview process like? Is anyone else interviewing this Friday?

The interview process is not stressful or difficult at all, the admission staff is really just wanting to get to know you better. My advice is to be yourself and be confident. The interview is just as much of an opportunity for the staff to see if you are a right fit for the program, as you figuring out if the program is the right fit for you.

I received my acceptance yesterday!!! I feel so privileged at the thought of being part of such a great profession. Kent State was my number 1 choice and I can't wait to start this August. I'm excited to get to know everyone accepted. Is there any kind of newly accepted students events that occur through the summer?

Anyone hear back from the May 11th interview date yet? Getting nervous.

Oh jeez. On the 11th, Dr. Boike said he thought there were like 6 seats available. I hope he was wrong!

Oh jeez. On the 11th, Dr. Boike said he thought there were like 6 seats available. I hope he was wrong!
Really? They told us it was still 10-15 at the may 8th interview..I wonder what that means?

So it looks like May 8th, 11th and 22nd interviewees were fighting for 6-15 seats. Good luck to us all! We will know before too long. I was hoping to know before Temple on Friday.

How many people were at your interview? We had 8.

So it looks like May 8th, 11th and 22nd interviewees were fighting for 6-15 seats. Good luck to us all! We will know before too long. I was hoping to know before Temple on Friday.

How many people were at your interview? We had 8.
I want to say 5?

I received my acceptance yesterday!!! I feel so privileged at the thought of being part of such a great profession. Kent State was my number 1 choice and I can't wait to start this August. I'm excited to get to know everyone accepted. Is there any kind of newly accepted students events that occur through the summer?
There are not really any "planned events" during the summer, but I know for my class many individuals from the area and people who moved up early would get together and hang out.

Accepted today. Just an update for those that interviewed May 11th. Good luck all.

I'm not sure yet, waiting for my official acceptance packet in the mail. Judging by the information we recieved on interview day, I would say there is a good chance. Depending on GPA/MCAT/interview of course.

I'm not sure yet, waiting for my official acceptance packet in the mail. Judging by the information we recieved on interview day, I would say there is a good chance. Depending on GPA/MCAT/interview of course.
Did they tell you how long you had to submit the deposit?

Only 14 days. And I won't hear back from Temple until June 17th though I'm pretty confident about my interview. I'm hung up on their clinic, they see like 40k patients a year. The waiting room was overflowing when I was there.

Every other aspect of Temple was underwhelming though.

Has anyone else from May 8th or 11th heard back from them?

Has anyone else from May 8th or 11th heard back from them?
I still haven't heard a decision for my may 8th interview. I did get an email last friday saying that decisions have been delayed a week.