Albert Einstein interviews a lot of people huh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'll be interviewing at Albert Einstein in February and I'm really grateful at the opportunity but at the same time I'm wondering....are they really seriously considering me? Here's why I ask that question....

At some schools (ie. UCI) getting to the interview stage gives you a legitimate 50% chance of getting in. I looked up MSAR's information about Albert Einstein (AECOM) and for the 2001-2002 entering class, they interviewed 1280 people for a class of 180. Now "usually" schools acccept more people than what their class size actually is. You all know why, so I don't have to explain that one. So I was thinking, ok let's say that AECOM accepts DOUBLE it's class size (give and take a few) so that would make 360 acceptances out of 1280 that interview.....meaning a 28% chance of getting in. So now I'm wondering is 28% good enough? Now if we look at how many applications (primary) AECOM gets (almost 6000), then getting an interview and ultimately an acceptance sure makes you feel special ( 360/6000 = 6% chance of getting accepted).

Now, this is not taking into account when the interview is...if you interview late, obviously your chances of getting in will be a little lower due to rolling admissions....

I know there are people out there who have interviewed at Einstein, has the Dean of Admissions or anyone there discussed why they interview so many applicants? what are the chances of getting in post-interview? What is AECOM looking for in their applicants?

I'm one of those sub-30 applicants (24-25 MCATs) with an ok undergrad science GPA (3.3) and a strong Postbac GPA 3.8. I believe my letters of rec are strong and so are my extra curriculars.....but according to the MSAR, AECOM's averages for acceptances are 3.6 GPA and 31 MCAT......

So do I really have shot at getting in or are they just Bsing me?

I was trying to analyze the situation and then I thought, ok, maybe Einstein looks only at POST BAC GPAs after a certain amount of units (Cornell does this for sure: I called them last year and explained my situation with them and Cornell told me that if I finish 25 semester units of post bac work, THEY WILL ONLY CONSIDER MY POST BAC GPA instead of undergrad GPA for their screening process ....kind of cool for those of us who for whatever reason didn't perform up to our potential during undergrad right?) So back to my AECOM analysis. So if that's the case for my GPA...then I'm definitely above average in GPA for AECOM, but below average in their MCAT...maybe one balances the other out :confused:

Now I know that there is more than just numbers in the application process...but come on guys for real....THIS IS MY THIRD YEAR APPLYING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL and I can tell you from experience that although it is true, NUMBERS ARE NOT EVERYTHING

IT IS THE NUMBERS THAT OPEN DOORS FOR YOU,,,,THEN THE REST OF YOUR FILE CAN SHINE (LETTERS OF REC, PERSONAL STATEMENT, EXTRA CURRICULARS, CLINICAL, RESEARCH EXPERIENCE, ETC)

it is because of the above statement and my commitment to primary care that I also decided to apply to DO schools, because I feel that there are just way too many schools (allopathic) that rely too much on numbers to see the "quality" of an applicant.....and then let's not even talk about how much socio-political bullsh-t goes on in the admissions process for MD schools (ie who's considered URM, who's not, why not? affirmative action, etc, etc).

Well, I know this is a long one, probably one of the longest messages I have ever written here on SDN, but if I can have your input as to what you guys think of Einstein's admissions process or if there are any Einstein students out there that can talk about their school I will really appreciate it, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong but doesn't AE have a huge waitlist movement also ?

You know i was thinking the same thing. I too have an interview coming up...and I constantly wonder the same thing...given my profile. (nontrad, etc). But like Tezzie said their waitlist is huge AND has tons of movement simply because it is one of those schools that is good but not top 10-20. So alot of students will get accepted that got into top tiers and they wind up going to the higher ranked school. So, in actuality they wind up accepting close to ALOT of people if you include the people that got accepted off the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bullhorn
You know i was thinking the same thing. I too have an interview coming up...and I constantly wonder the same thing...given my profile. (nontrad, etc). But like Tezzie said their waitlist is huge AND has tons of movement simply because it is one of those schools that is good but not top 10-20. So alot of students will get accepted that got into top tiers and they wind up going to the higher ranked school. So, in actuality they wind up accepting close to ALOT of people if you include the people that got accepted off the wait list.

Thanks for responding peeps.

I can see what you are saying bullhorn, but I really DOUBT that eventhough AECOM accepts ALOT of people off the WAITLIST, their number of acceptances will exceed 400. That still means 400 acceptances out of 1280 interviews....close to 30% chance of getting in....so once again I ask:

Is 30% good enough? :confused:

Einstein looks heavily at personality. 30% is 30%. It doesn't mean much on an individual basis.

Originally posted by Rendar5
Einstein looks heavily at personality. 30% is 30%. It doesn't mean much on an individual basis.
heavily at personality huh? well that's cool. I like to think that I'm an easy going type of guy with lots of maturity and charisma ;)

Does anybody else have any info on AECOM's admissions process?

hey, i got into gtown last year with a low mcat, and they interview TONS of people. i was feeling like my chances were very slim going into the interview, but you never know what can happen! i'll be the first to admit that i know nothing about einstein's admissions process, but i definitely think everyone who is interviewed at a particular school has a shot. even if you are at a disadvantage compared to someone with higher numbers, they looked past your numbers and invited you to interview so there must be something else on your app that they really like.

This is how I look at it:

When the staff review your secondary+ primary, if they feel that an application looks good or pretty good, it goes into the interview pile, even if there's some flaws in the app. Sorta give the applicant the benefits of doubt.

Later on after interview, each app is looked at very closely. At this stage it becomes even more important to compare the applicants to each other and select the ones to be accepted.

So my assumption is that the decision to give out interview is somehow more relaxed than the decision to give out an acceptance.

Does anyone know about cheap hotels/motels near the Albert Einstein College of Medicine? The closer the better....if not that close, then close enough to the subway...thanks!

I am pretty sure it is not all numbers. I have 3.8 GPA and 36Q MCAT. And I am yet to hear from many school including Albert Einstein.
I guess it is my bad personality that is holding me back. :)

Originally posted by Dr. Don
Does anyone know about cheap hotels/motels near the Albert Einstein College of Medicine? The closer the better....if not that close, then close enough to the subway...thanks!

If you are really interested in a cheap hotel there is a MOTEL relatively close by. You would have to take a cab there though, it is not close enough to the 6 train. Keep in mind that the 6 train does not drop you off all that close to Einstein either- it would be roughly a 1-2 mile walk to Einstein from the closest stop on the 6 train. Anyhow, the motel's name is the Pelham Gardens (I'm 99.9% sure of this- if you are really interested, I will confirm this for you). There is a motel even closer, actually right by the stop on the 6 that you would get off for Einstein, but I highly recommend that you don't stay there since the place is of questionable caliber (read- prostitutes, someone looking for a quick-fix, etc.... tend to stay there).

I'm a native Bronxite and I also own a home in the Bronx, so I do know what I'm talking about. If there are any questions, don't hesitate asking.

i am a second year at einstein, and although i don't right now have the time to answer all the issues that have been brought up, let me say that if you come here for an interview, just stay with a med student. the people in the admissions office are really really great and accomodating and would be more than happy to set you up with someone. i have lots of friends who do this and you won't be sleeping on a hard cold floor. everyone who stays with a med student has at least a cot, but usually you stay on someones couch. anyway, its free for you and us med students actually do get some bookstore credit, so think about it. and the morning of your interview all you have to do is walk across the street. :cool:
good luck with everything and when you come here, just remember it really is true that einstein places a lot of energy into finding students who are real people and not just memorizing machines. we have a lot of really amazing stuff here that is aimed at making sure einstein graduates have a real sense of community and social medicine and are not just cold scientists. anyway, just come and be human, don't try to act, and i'm sure you'll do fine.
and don't worry about trying to statistically figure out if your are going to get in depeding on how many people recieve interviews, and when they came to interview. it'll just turn you crazy (believe me, i remember). cheers.

Thanks for the responses peeps, specially you Daisygirl. I'll be looking into that motel that you mentioned-Pelham Gardens. Hey Merlin, thanks for the reminder about staying with a student host, but I won't be in New York for just 1 night or two, it's more like 4-5 nights, because I'll be flying directly from my Ohio interview to New York, so I really don't want to bother the med students to host me for 4-5 nights....I think that's just a little too much to ask ;) , thanks for the info on what Einstein looks for in their applicants. I'm just going to go in and do my best. I believe I have a well rounded application and feel that medicine is the right path for me. Wish me luck everyone and daisy, if you can get me the number to that motel, it would be great...I'll try to look for it myself. Thank you again and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses peeps, specially you Daisygirl. I'll be looking into that motel that you mentioned-Pelham Gardens. Hey Merlin, thanks for the reminder about staying with a student host, but I won't be in New York for just 1 night or two, it's more like 4-5 nights, because I'll be flying directly from my Ohio interview to New York, so I really don't want to bother the med students to host me for 4-5 nights....I think that's just a little too much to ask ;) , thanks for the info on what Einstein looks for in their applicants. I'm just going to go in and do my best. I believe I have a well rounded application and feel that medicine is the right path for me. Wish me luck everyone and daisy, if you can get me the number to that motel, it would be great...I'll try to look for it myself. Thank you again and good luck to everyone.

The number to Pelham Gardens motel is 718-379-2300. I did a google search to find the number. If for some reason this number is not correct, just pm me and I'll look in the yellow pages for the number when I go back to the Bronx tomorrow night.

A piece of unsolicited advice- you should probably stay with a student host the night before your interview so that you have some sort of interaction with a student from Einstein. You can learn about the school, get some advice, and just relax a bit. Believe it or not, you'll probably be more relaxed hanging out with a med student than you would be in a motel room by yourself in an area that you are not familiar with. Good luck on your interview. Einstein is a great school. Although I'm glad to be in medical school, I really wish that I had been offered an interview there- I would of loved to have been able to live at home during my med school years.

hey daisy,

I just called the Pelham Gardens Motel and their prices are Sunday-Thursday $80 and Friday and Saturday $125 :wow: For a Motel, isn't that a little too much?? :confused: Is the Pelham Gardens nice? like Holiday inn nice? I'm just trying to figure out why so much? If I stay there I'll probably pay about $500!!!

that's more than what the plane tickets cost me!!! :(

so daisy and other new yorkers out there, what if I stay somewhere in manhattan (upper west side, etc) and take the subway to Albert Einstein....do you think it will be too much hassle? The reason I ask is because I've been checking out the hotel deals through expedia.com or hotels.com and they have some sweet deals that can easily save me about $100 bucks....any suggestions/ideas?

hey daisy,

I just called the Pelham Gardens Motel and their prices are Sunday-Thursday $80 and Friday and Saturday $125 :wow: For a Motel, isn't that a little too much?? :confused: Is the Pelham Gardens nice? like Holiday inn nice? I'm just trying to figure out why so much? If I stay there I'll probably pay about $500!!!

that's more than what the plane tickets cost me!!! :(

so daisy and other new yorkers out there, what if I stay somewhere in manhattan (upper west side, etc) and take the subway to Albert Einstein....do you think it will be too much hassle? The reason I ask is because I've been checking out the hotel deals through expedia.com or hotels.com and they have some sweet deals that can easily save me about $100 bucks....any suggestions/ideas?

That price is a bit much. The motel is probably so expensive since they have to make money somehow- I mean the bronx isn't exactly a vacation hot-spot so they probably don't fill their rooms all too often. I would definitely recommend doing a travel-deal thing and staying in the city. You'll probably have a better time doing that anyhow since it'll be much easier for you to explore Manhattan while you're there (that is if you have time to have fun).

If you do that though, you should take a cab to the school from the train if you want to take the train to the Bronx. Don't even think about walking there or taking the bus from the trainstop. The hassle just isn't worth it. You could take the 6 to the school and get off at the Crosby avenue station. When you walk down from the subway platform, there will be a cab company right there. The name of the company is Crosby Cab. You can walk in their office and request a cab to Einstein. Doing this would be far more easier than the alternative. The cab wouldn't cost you more than 8 bucks.

Originally posted by daisygirl
That price is a bit much. The motel is probably so expensive since they have to make money somehow- I mean the bronx isn't exactly a vacation hot-spot so they probably don't fill their rooms all too often. I would definitely recommend doing a travel-deal thing and staying in the city. You'll probably have a better time doing that anyhow since it'll be much easier for you to explore Manhattan while you're there (that is if you have time to have fun).

If you do that though, you should take a cab to the school from the train if you want to take the train to the Bronx. Don't even think about walking there or taking the bus from the trainstop. The hassle just isn't worth it. You could take the 6 to the school and get off at the Crosby avenue station. When you walk down from the subway platform, there will be a cab company right there. The name of the company is Crosby Cab. You can walk in their office and request a cab to Einstein. Doing this would be far more easier than the alternative. The cab wouldn't cost you more than 8 bucks.

gracias Daisy, you have been really helpful! :) I checked out the Quality Hotel on Broadway...seems cool and affordable, what do you think? do you recommed any other hotels in the city that I can stay in and that are relatively close to a subway station?

gracias Daisy, you have been really helpful! :) I checked out the Quality Hotel on Broadway...seems cool and affordable, what do you think? do you recommed any other hotels in the city that I can stay in and that are relatively close to a subway station?

You're welcome :) .

Sorry, but I cannot be of any help with hotels in the city. I'm completely unfamiliar with them. I barely ever go to Manhattan- I bet some tourists have seen/know more about Manhattan than me.

theres alot of stuff on the upper west side b/c thats columbia neighborhood... there are also youth hostels which will run you very cheap but may not be the most luxurious. i think you can find alot of them on citysearch.com, click on NY obviously.

i do have a favorite hotel, but its in the theater district (like w.55th), and probably further than you want to travel, but its called hotel moderne if you are interested, they have alot of andy warhol prints :)

AECOM offers acceptances to approximately 530 students each year. It's close to 40% of all the interviewees.

Originally posted by markus21
AECOM offers acceptances to approximately 530 students each year. It's close to 40% of all the interviewees.

40%???? now you got me all excited :D where did you get that number from?

Yeah I saw the same thing on this file (it was originally on sdn) that compiled all the stats of the allopathic schools. Number of applicants, number of interviewees, number of total acceptances, number of entering class, and percentages etc. I'll look for it and paste it up here if i find it. If someone knows what i am talking about they can do it for me...

Odds are if you are worried about being accepted...you might not be outright accepted...but perhaps accepted off the waitlist (which is unranked). A letter of intent to go to the school, I have heard, positively influences your application.

I hope you're not referring to the same hotel I stayed at. I reserved the hotel room online, without knowing anything about the hotel. When I got there it was such a ghetto place and it seems like the elevator was falling apart!

yup... it's from that thread... it's true... it's the data of 2 years ago i think. i wouldn't worry about percentages too much. Just prepare for the interview.

There's a Quality Inn around 94th and Broadway in Manhattan. It seems fine from the outside and I know several people whose parents have stayed there and they had a good time. You could walk down to 86th and take the crosstown bus to the east side (or you could take a cab for about $8) and then catch the express bus to the bronx. I've taken that bus twice and it was fine. I'd just leave extra early in case. I think I took a 8:30AM bus for a 11:00 interview and I got there REALLY early, about 9:15AM. Anyway, I think the Quality Inn on 94th is a great choice, esp. if you are staying in NYC for a few days. It's right near the 2 or 3 express trains. Good luck!

Originally posted by tova
There's a Quality Inn around 94th and Broadway in Manhattan. It seems fine from the outside and I know several people whose parents have stayed there and they had a good time. You could walk down to 86th and take the crosstown bus to the east side (or you could take a cab for about $8) and then catch the express bus to the bronx. I've taken that bus twice and it was fine. I'd just leave extra early in case. I think I took a 8:30AM bus for a 11:00 interview and I got there REALLY early, about 9:15AM. Anyway, I think the Quality Inn on 94th is a great choice, esp. if you are staying in NYC for a few days. It's right near the 2 or 3 express trains. Good luck!

yeap that's the one tova, quality on 94th street. Well hope it works out. I emailed Einstein to see if I can get a student host for monday night (the day before the interview) in that way I can save some money and get to know some of the students. Anyways, thanks for the help people, it is much appreciated! :)

hey people what do you know about the Central Park Hostel? is it cool and safe?