Albany Med Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TV_Addict said:
I had this question too a few months ago and it was answered when I spoke with an MSII. Courses are organized around systems -- for instance our first will be "Medical Cell Biology and Genetics". In general, we have three 50-minute lectures from 9-12 AM, and it is my understanding is that all the lectures are integrated on the tests for a system (so there won't be multiple finals at once). The orientation packet -- which I received this last week -- describes all of this in detail (including giving dates for the blocks, tests, and vacations and a typical daily schedule for 1st years).

Am i the only one who didn't receive an orientation packet yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
i haven't received one yet, although i was just notified of my acceptance five days ago.
I received mine this weekend, and I was notified April 25th. I'm hoping your's won't have the same 1-month delay. In any case, I will post the class schedule to the Yahoo group.

zahque said:
also, why do i feel like there are fewer people going to albany on SDN than any other school represented here? our class thread is pathetic and only five people joined the message board
Yes - I feel the same! (as if you couldn't tell with all of my traffic on this thread.)

RxnMan said:
I received mine this weekend, and I was notified April 25th. I'm hoping your's won't have the same 1-month delay. In any case, I will post the class schedule to the Yahoo group.

Yes - I feel the same! (as if you couldn't tell with all of my traffic on this thread.)

I agree. I've been looking for AMC stuff for such a long time! I guess AMC people don't hit up SDN.

I updated my class profile to show the addresses of both the Yahoo group and this class thread. Hopefully those browsing will decide to head on over...

Those of you who have gotten the orientation packet, does it strike you as odd that we have a week and half off for Winter Break? Do you think this is a typo, or will we really have to comeback for two days of classes before the next weekend? Anybody have any insight into this?

jmerlone said:
Those of you who have gotten the orientation packet, does it strike you as odd that we have a week and half off for Winter Break? Do you think this is a typo, or will we really have to comeback for two days of classes before the next weekend? Anybody have any insight into this?
I'm looking at the calendar now and I see what you mean. It's probably a typo, but you can ask during orientation.

For those of us driving to class from our apts do you know where we can park? I'm looking at the parking guide that came in our packets and it only shows student parking in the "pink lot" which is pretty far from our classes.

do you guys know if we can, or if people do, park in any of the other lots that are closer?

is there security for the student parking lot or is it just open like the mall?

vkhalsa said:
For those of us driving to class from our apts do you know where we can park? I'm looking at the parking guide that came in our packets and it only shows student parking in the "pink lot" which is pretty far from our classes.

do you guys know if we can, or if people do, park in any of the other lots that are closer?

is there security for the student parking lot or is it just open like the mall?
There is a free shuttle service that goes from student parking to the school. That might help (except for those who live closer to the school than the parking lot). I remember it being open (not a structure), but I'm sure it's patrolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys--Congrats on your Albany Med acceptance! I'm a 2nd year med student and would be happy to answer any questions (trivial or important) that you may have about AMC, first year, or Albany in general!

Re: Parking...most 1st years just park on the streets immediately surrounding the back of the school--5 min walk max to your classroom. Just have to be careful about street cleaning days!

Re: Housing... if you're looking for a big, clean 1BR apt right next to school, check out my link on craigslist: http://albany.craigslist.org/apa/180952230.html. I've decided to actually move into suburbia outside Albany (and since most class isn't mandatory anyway...;)

Re: Orientation...way more interesting than I anticipated, and the social events are way more "festive" than I could have hoped! First few weeks of school were like one big celebration...ENJOY!

zahque said:
must see: van gogh museum, rejksmuseum, heineken factory tour (free beer!) all three of these are within a 3 minute walk of each other in downtown amsterdam.
Excellent. I am going on a city/Van Gogh tour organized by the conference, so I'll just hit up Heineken on the way...thank god I'll only have to present a poster, and not a talk!

If you go in late July/early August, the local football stadium will be hosting pre-season games with Dutch teams against Arsenal.

dz15233251 said:
If you go in late July/early August, the local football stadium will be hosting pre-season games with Dutch teams against Arsenal.
No - I'm going in late September (yes, it's during the school year, and no, it doesn't conflict with anything too big - I checked that before I decided to go).

By the way, say something nice to our new classmate.

Hi guys,
Just found out that I got accepted to AMC this fall. I have read your posts, hoping someday to actually join you guys.
Since I just found out that I got accepted, maybe those of you that have the orientation packet could tell me when it starts.
Also for those that have been up there and looked at apartments, what areas do you think people should stay away from, price ranges, and parking situations.
Thanks!

DrLizzie said:
Hi guys,
Just found out that I got accepted to AMC this fall. I have read your posts, hoping someday to actually join you guys.
Since I just found out that I got accepted, maybe those of you that have the orientation packet could tell me when it starts.
Also for those that have been up there and looked at apartments, what areas do you think people should stay away from, price ranges, and parking situations.
Thanks!
Look through this thread for apartment info. I also posted the block and daily schedule to the Albany Med 2010 class Yahoo group (link also on this thread, check out zahque's posts).

RxnMan said:
Whoops - re-read what you asked. Mandatory orientation starts off on August 23rd.

Hi,
I started to read weeks ago when you started the thread, and haven't read it for a long time. I'll go through the many posts.

Hi,

Congrats on getting in!

I'm making a trip up this weekend to look for housing. I've been following things on Craigslist and the turnover is unbelievable - really quick. This is probably the time of year when every student in the area figures out their situation, so the sooner the better.

If you have any interest in living in a larger house, I'll be looking for a 4-5 bedroom place and have not yet found anyone interested in a spot. The rent will be about half what you would pay for a 1 bedroom on your own. Hopefully I can get Albany to send out a mass e-mail to the entire class about the Yahoo Group, so we can get more people communicating about housing.

-Devin

DrLizzie said:
Hi guys,
Thanks!

congrats DrLizzie,
i would really suggest going up to albany to take a look for yourself where you want to live. Some places sound great on paper but are really ghetto when you visit. Depending on how much you want to spend there are some nice complexes on http://www.rentersguidealbany.com.

Edit: If anyone has a question about some of these places let me know because i've been to or heard things about a couple of them.

vkhalsa said:
...Some places sound great on paper but are really ghetto when you visit. Depending on how much you want to spend there are some nice complexes on http://www.rentersguidealbany.com.
I'd stay away from the 2-block ring around Wash park. Those places were terrible - they should be condemmed.

I went to that 'nice' New Elouise place. It's expensive (relatively), and you'd think that you'd be garaunteed a pretty good place for that money. But when we got there, we noticed all of these water stains in the plaster and the walls were warped. The super said the heating system always leaks steam and hot water when they turn it on in the fall. He was really evasive about how long it took those leaks to get fixed.

Devin - what's Ajax?

RxnMan said:
I'd stay away from the 2-block ring around Wash park. Those places were terrible - they should be condemmed.

I went to that 'nice' New Elouise place. It's expensive (relatively), and you'd think that you'd be garaunteed a pretty good place for that money. But when we got there, we noticed all of these water stains in the plaster and the walls were warped. The super said the heating system always leaks steam and hot water when they turn it on in the fall. He was really evasive about how long it took those leaks to get fixed.

Devin - what's Ajax?

keeping with the trend:
(keep in mind this is my personal opinion of the places and i could be way off. they could be really good for some people)

Tivoli Park Apartments - pretty ghetto area, big rooms, close to school
Park Row Apartments - really close but pretty old (1 apt as of 2 weeks ago)
New Scotland Gardens - Nothing available as of 2 weeks ago
Historic Knickerbocker Apts. - really old and not the greatest area from what i hear, large building for people who like high rises.
Towers of Colonie - paper thin walls so high heat expenses and very very drafty
Adams Station - perfect except for the poor management and paper thin ceilings. they have a huge noise issue from what i hear.
The Mansions at Delmar - really nice but really expensive since it doesn't incl utilities, but you get an attached garage which is nice
Seventeen Hundred Designer Residences - Nice, good parking off street, good management, newer building, close to everything. Bad: hard to get in and out, western ave is all lights going to school, electric heat. req 1 day advanced notice to see rooms.
Stonehenge Gardens - Awesome, great huge rooms, quit, clean, new renovations, safe, close to school and guilderland, reminds me of Stuyvesant Town in Manhattan, good management, new kitchens, utilities except electric incl. Bad: lots of old people, no idea about sound proofing, expensive for albany, off street parking is limited (but parking available on street according to management).

Delmar and Guilderland are really nice areas to live but you need a car to get to school.

Everything (only 4 apts) i saw on the albany med listing was taken or crap for the price though so i would branch out. but then again, just because i was unlucky doesn't mean you'll be.

RxnMan said:
Devin - what's Ajax?

The local football team. European soccer is nuts, even if its not you're thing.

You may be better served by going up there and driving around. A lot of people just have 'For Rent' signs out on their lawns.

It's strange - people were really reluctant schedule showings when I called a few days in advance. Most owners only want to schedule showings the day of.

vkhalsa said:
keeping with the trend:
Everything (only 4 apts) i saw on the albany med listing was taken or crap for the price though so i would branch out. but then again, just because i was unlucky doesn't mean you'll be.

So where did you end up, just out of curiosity?

-Devin

dz15233251 said:
So where did you end up, just out of curiosity?

-Devin

stonehenge gardens. in my two trips to albany it was the best place i found. (but you never know till you actually live there.) There are probably just as good apts for cheaper but i just couldn't find them during my trips.
I never really knew how hard it is to find a place to live when there isn't anyone to guide you and not knowing the area. I tried the whole drive around and call the numbers on the houses but i always got a machine or no one picked up. you could probably kill a whole day just doing that since it seems like every other house is for rent but i'm sure you could find a really good deal at the same time.

vkhalsa said:
stonehenge gardens. in my two trips to albany it was the best place i found. (but you never know till you actually live there.) There are probably just as good apts for cheaper but i just couldn't find them during my trips.
I never really knew how hard it is to find a place to live when there isn't anyone to guide you and not knowing the area. I tried the whole drive around and call the numbers on the houses but i always got a machine or no one picked up. you could probably kill a whole day just doing that since it seems like every other house is for rent but i'm sure you could find a really good deal at the same time.
Our place is month-to-month, so my fiance and I have decided our hobby will be riding around and looking for a better place!

Hi Vkhalsa,
I am planning on going there next weekend to look around. Thanks for the info.

Again, thanks to you all for helpful info, and tips!

vkhalsa said:
congrats DrLizzie,
i would really suggest going up to albany to take a look for yourself where you want to live. Some places sound great on paper but are really ghetto when you visit. Depending on how much you want to spend there are some nice complexes on http://www.rentersguidealbany.com.

Edit: If anyone has a question about some of these places let me know because i've been to or heard things about a couple of them.

i drove up one afternoon from new jersey and ended up finding a basement apartment three blocks from school. although i am living alone, the realtor informed me that there are two other soon-to-be first years living above me ( dunno who they are yet.) my rent is 675 a month which isn't awful, compared to the 1300 a month i'd be paying for my studio down in d.c. when i was planning on doing the georgetown smp. and this particular apartment i only snatched up about a week ago, so it isn't too late.

and on a side note.. if anyone reading this is one of the two pre-med kids living at 311 partridge, let me know!

Hello hello!

I just joined sdn ... I'll be a first year at amc this fall also.

I'll be living on Marinello Terrace with two friends (Lisa and Amy) from undergrad (Union College -- 20 minutes from AMC). Our landlords mentioned that a couple of amc students live across the street, which is pretty cool ... i thought we lived fairly set away from other students.

Hope your all making the most of your summer ... med schools just a few short weeks away. To be quite honest, I'm starting to get nervous as it draws closer ... am I the only one?

Well ... looking forward to meeting the rest of the class :)

Mozoutrageous84 said:
Hello hello!

I just joined sdn ... I'll be a first year at amc this fall also.

I'll be living on Marinello Terrace with two friends (Lisa and Amy) from undergrad (Union College -- 20 minutes from AMC). Our landlords mentioned that a couple of amc students live across the street, which is pretty cool ... i thought we lived fairly set away from other students.

Hope your all making the most of your summer ... med schools just a few short weeks away. To be quite honest, I'm starting to get nervous as it draws closer ... am I the only one?

Well ... looking forward to meeting the rest of the class :)

glad ya joined the rest of us nerds on the forums, nicole :D

thanks zack ... i hesitated a bit to join since you introduced me to the network... i was in denial of my "nerd" status but ultimately decided to embrace it in full force. so here i am. :p

Wait... I thought the ladies dig doctors. You're telling me this forum is going to hurt my game?;)

-Devin

dz15233251 said:
Wait... I thought the ladies dig doctors. You're telling me this forum is going to hurt my game?;)

-Devin
The fact that you ask a question like that proves you have no game to hurt!

RxnMan said:
The fact that you ask a question like that proves you have no game to hurt!

Now that is some major smack for a practically married guy to be talkin'. You're off the market, brother; live and let live. If you ever have second thoughts, though, you can be my wingman anytime; I'll remember not to mention to any ladies that you started our SDN thread. :D

-Devin

dz15233251 said:
Now that is some major smack for a practically married guy to be talkin'. You're off the market, brother; live and let live. If you ever have second thoughts, though, you can be my wingman anytime; I'll remember not to mention to any ladies that you started our SDN thread. :D

-Devin
I guarantee you that I will make myself look like a fool more than once over the next four years - you and the rest of our classmates will have PLENTY of ammunition to put me in my place. I'm just trying to get my shots in now!

On another note, I'd recommend against folks posting their exact addresses here. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I try not to post anything too personal or identifying, even to this specialized audience.

Hey all!

I am new to the network but will be your classmate starting in August. I already live in Albany so if you are coming up this way I am usually around so let me know. Looking forward to meeting everyone! :-D

Welcome new folks.

Random question: I was looking on the school website and saw a listing for an AMC crew club. I am in no physical shape whatsoever, but I like boats and sailing, and this seems like a fun way to be active on the water. Anyone interested? Anyone have information on the club, if it still exists?

RxnMan said:
Welcome new folks.

Random question: I was looking on the school website and saw a listing for an AMC crew club. I am in no physical shape whatsoever, but I like boats and sailing, and this seems like a fun way to be active on the water. Anyone interested? Anyone have information on the club, if it still exists?

Crew usually starts rowing at 5 AM on a lake or river. Not this guy; sorry. Soccer, anyone?

dz15233251 said:
Crew usually starts rowing at 5 AM on a lake or river. Not this guy; sorry. Soccer, anyone?
I hear ya, but I got up at 5am for my job - it's no big deal anymore. Anyone else?

RxnMan said:
I hear ya, but I got up at 5am for my job - it's no big deal anymore. Anyone else?

i've always wanted to do crew, but i think getting up at 5 am is a lot different than being on the water at 5am and ready to row as hard as you can :laugh: