Albany Med Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got the acceptance email. Booyah.

Let's do this. Anyone out there also accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

RxnMan said:
Just got the acceptance email. Booyah.

Let's do this. Anyone out there also accepted?

Congratulations RxnMan! I am very happy for you!

medicalbound said:
Congratulations RxnMan! I am very happy for you!
Thanks! It's pretty crazy that my life has changed so rapidly in just a few short weeks.

Now, it would be nice if some of the 70+ people who've viewed this thread would respond. Any other AMC folks out there? It would be nice to meet some of my soon-to-be classmates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rxn -

Congrats on your acceptance. Albany's a great school (I'm just finishing up 2nd year @ AMC)...you'll have a great time. Feel free to post or PM me with any questions. Welcome to the club.

congrats on the acceptance! I'm also finishing up my 2nd year at AMC and it has been a great experience so far. Feel free to PM me with questions as well

hey i got in earlier this year and i'm going. looking forward to school and albany isn't as bad as everyone says. lots of hiking and outdoor stuff really close. plus nyc is great for long weekends. yeah, rock on. congrats to my fellow future classmates!

Hey all. Just got accepted yesterday and am pretty psyched. Anyone know the deal with the living situation? Do we need a car? etc....

Praise Jebus! Someone responded! TWO someones responded to my thread. Looks like I won't be the only person in my classes after all.

Living situation: I called up the Student Affairs office (518-262-5634) and got them to mail me their apartment listing packet. It's got a number of the apartments in the area + info like whether utilities are included (heat averages out to $150-200/month). I've spoken with some 2nd years, and they tell me the following:

As far as the living situation is concerned, you want to try to stay on the west side of the school. Roads like quail st (between addresses 200 and 400), South Lake, Providence, Warren, Mrytle, Morris, Mercer, Madison and New scotland (between 100 and say 500). Areas to avoid: North Lake, Low numbered quail st addresses, anything in Arbor Hill, and anything on the east side of school. As it gets closer to your orientation, the school will send you a list of apartments.

Also check out Cragslist and the local Albany paper.

Cars help more for rotations - you'd need one to do rotations at the community hospitals, but if you don't have one, then they *can* arrange things to accomodate you if they have to. There's a good number of apartments in the AMC area, so you won't need one for the first two years per se.

I'm also looking forward to some skiing and traveling to NYC and Bean Town on the weekends too - thanks to block scheduling.

I just got my acceptance by email this morning. I haven't got my info in the mail yet, anyone know if there is orientation coming up? Or did I miss it due to my late acceptance.

jmerlone said:
I just got my acceptance by email this morning. I haven't got my info in the mail yet, anyone know if there is orientation coming up? Or did I miss it due to my late acceptance.
Congratulations!

(mandatory) Orientation will be August 23rd-24th. That'll include tours, registration, the white coat ceremony, and a marathon of of 'please join XYZ society' presentations. The Admissions office (518-262-5521) is very helpful (a rarity in the med school app world) and can answer most of your questions.

thanks for the info rxnman. are you planning on living by yourself or w/ others?
how did you get the orientation info?

Quick questions....does anyone live in apartment complexes around school? also, what's wrong w/ west of amc?

Members don't see this ad :)
callmerolergrl said:
Quick questions....does anyone live in apartment complexes around school? also, what's wrong w/ west of amc?

the areas pointed out earlier are just areas you want to avoid. granted, albany is a small city, but it's still a city. You have to be smart in terms of your surroundings and who and what time you're walking etc. If you decide to live a little further from school, there are 2 student parking lots and parking is free (you just have to get a parking pass). A couple of my friends lived in Apartment complexes. One is on Quail between Madison and Western right along the Park. But most places in Albany you find are like 4 apartments in a big house. Good luck!

callmerolergrl said:

Ummm... I'm pretty sure the earlier post said that west of AMC is a better area..... and that's what I observed when I was checking out the area.....

callmerolergrl said:
thanks for the info rxnman. are you planning on living by yourself or w/ others?
how did you get the orientation info?
I will be living with one other, specifically my girlfriend. You can find out about orientation by using the link you were emailed when you were invited to interview. It's also the same system that you used to fill out your secondary. Follow that, and you will find some new links with student housing information. There's also a place where you can post some info about yourself so that you can meet potential roommates (which probably answers your unasked question).

I would live on the west side of school, myself. I wandered all around the town before and after my interview, and the info I posted before is correct.

RxnMan said:
I will be living with one other, specifically my girlfriend. You can find out about orientation by using the link you were emailed when you were invited to interview. It's also the same system that you used to fill out your secondary. Follow that, and you will find some new links with student housing information. There's also a place where you can post some info about yourself so that you can meet potential roommates (which probably answers your unasked question).

I would live on the west side of school, myself. I wandered all around the town before and after my interview, and the info I posted before is correct.

RxnMan: Thanks for the tip about the info being posted on the secondary website; it is nice to get a little more information about this fall.

On a related note, I called the admissions office the other day and was told that information about orientation, immunization forms, etc. will be sent out in early July.

TV_Addict said:
RxnMan: Thanks for the tip about the info being posted on the secondary website; it is nice to get a little more information about this fall.

On a related note, I called the admissions office the other day and was told that information about orientation, immunization forms, etc. will be sent out in early July.
Cool. I was looking for hotels for my trip up there when I remembered they listed hotels on the secondary website. I looked at the site and saw the updates.

I was wondering when the rest of the paperwork was going to come in. I've been waiting to hear about my FAFSA (it should have been processed by now,) but the Fin Aid Office has been closed the last few days.

Over in the Pre-Allo they've got a thread stating that, for the most part, the class is filled. Do we have any other last-minute acceptees?

I'll be joining AMC this fall too. Got an apartment on the west side and looking forward to starting. I'm still nervous though....med. school for god's sake.

Mick77 said:
Hey all. Just got accepted yesterday and am pretty psyched. Anyone know the deal with the living situation? Do we need a car? etc....

hey all, i got accepted to albany earlier this year and have rented a two br apartment on morris street in pine hills (supposedly one of the nicer areas in albany, 3 block walk to the school) i'll be posting in the roommate listings for a roommate (preferably male, under 30, non-smoker, no pets) but in case anyone out there reading this thinks that they might be interested and/or would like more details, feel free to PM me (not quite sure what that means but everyone else seems to) or just respond to this post.

looking forward to meeting my fellow 2010 classmates in the fall....

TV_Addict said:

RxnMan, the info that I find on the secondary website contains last year's info, all the housing info has move in dates for 2005. Do I have the wrong link or is the same for you?

e-

dresdin14 said:
RxnMan, the info that I find on the secondary website contains last year's info, all the housing info has move in dates for 2005. Do I have the wrong link or is the same for you?

e-
You're right. I checked it out and all of the dates are 2005. I have been able to get a current listing (with 2006 dates) by contacting the Student Affairs Office and asking that they mail me one.

There's also Craigslist and the Times-Union, so there are plenty of other places to look.

Congrats and welcome aboard! I just finished 1st year and would be happy to answer any questions if you PM me...

Enjoy the summer and be prepared for a long, strange trip!

AnotherDork said:
Congrats and welcome aboard! I just finished 1st year and would be happy to answer any questions if you PM me...

Enjoy the summer and be prepared for a long, strange trip!
Ah, the Dead!

My girlfriend and I just found a place up there this weekend. We were looking at places around Wash Park - and dear lord are those places are terrible! (PM me if you want the story) Where (roughly) do you live that isn't a slum?

I found a studio right off Lark street this weekend. Is anyone else living in that area? It's so nice to be done w/ finding housing. It's a pain when you don't live in Albany.

callmerolergrl said:
I found a studio right off Lark street this weekend. Is anyone else living in that area? It's so nice to be done w/ finding housing. It's a pain when you don't live in Albany.
Yes, it is. I found a place off of New Scotland.

Did you fly up?

No, I drove in from Cambridge, Ma. I'm working there now.
So how was your experience finding housing?
Mine was bad initially. People didn't show up, or were late. Plus a lot of the housing is in bad shape.
I can't complain about the cheap rent compared to beantown.

callmerolergrl said:
No, I drove in from Cambridge, Ma. I'm working there now.
So how was your experience finding housing?
Mine was bad initially. People didn't show up, or were late. Plus a lot of the housing is in bad shape.
I can't complain about the cheap rent compared to beantown.
I think the advice I posted earlier is meant to be limited to the student ghetto, (the 2-block belt around the campus) which is where I was looking. I am happy with the place I got, (lots of natural light, big, open, & cheap) but so many other places I saw were terrible. Owners in that area (& around Wash Park) just don't have any need to maintain their property (low property values, students will rent regardless of condition).

does anyone have any ideas about the best way to get internet access in both your apartment and the school.....if i remember correctly, amc is not wireless right??? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks e-

dresdin14 said:
does anyone have any ideas about the best way to get internet access in both your apartment and the school.....if i remember correctly, amc is not wireless right??? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks e-
I thought that the lecture halls were wireless. If you have the correct cable, you should also be able to hook into the computer lab's network.

Hey fellow AMC20010r's! I too am in your class. I have had some experience with the school, and the one thing I can say for sure is that, the faculty and staff there are really awesome...some of thin kindest, most helpful people I have ever met...I am sure you have gotten a hint of that just from the admissions staff. It's a great place. I look forward to meeting you all. :D

Hi everyone,

I am Albany-bound as well; looking forward to it.

Has anyone set up an e-mail-based forum like a Yahoo group or something so we can all communicate directly?

Take care.

-Devin

dz15233251 said:
Hi everyone,

I am Albany-bound as well; looking forward to it.

Has anyone set up an e-mail-based forum like a Yahoo group or something so we can all communicate directly?

Take care.

-Devin

I don't believe that anyone has set one up, but we should definatly do it. We had one in my grad program. It was great for sharing info about classes, study guides, social events, and even our profs would post on it. It would be best to do it closer to the start of school, and I'm unsure how to inform all our classmates about it.

On another note, I just received my orientation packet. It didn't say that wireless internet is available.

Also had a few more questions, are most people attending the social events? Is the Y the closest gym? And are there any yoga studios in the area?

Thanx

callmerolergrl said:
I don't believe that anyone has set one up, but we should definatly do it. We had one in my grad program. It was great for sharing info about classes, study guides, social events, and even our profs would post on it. It would be best to do it closer to the start of school, and I'm unsure how to inform all our classmates about it.

On another note, I just received my orientation packet. It didn't say that wireless internet is available.

Also had a few more questions, are most people attending the social events? Is the Y the closest gym? And are there any yoga studios in the area?

Thanx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/albanymed2010/

Thanks, Zahque; I'm member #2.

Callmerolergrl, I seem to remember that Albany itself had a gym; I think it was small, though. It was in the corridor near where the med school connects to the hospital cafeteria. A first-year also said something about a gym "downtown" that didn't sound like walking distance.

It would be really helpful to people looking for housing if we could get more people on the Yahoo Group list. I'd like to live with 4-5 other people and am going to look at renting some of the larger houses next to the Medical College soon.

T-7 weeks and counting.

-Devin

dz15233251 said:
Thanks, Zahque; I'm member #2.

Callmerolergrl, I seem to remember that Albany itself had a gym; I think it was small, though. It was in the corridor near where the med school connects to the hospital cafeteria. A first-year also said something about a gym "downtown" that didn't sound like walking distance.

It would be really helpful to people looking for housing if we could get more people on the Yahoo Group list. I'd like to live with 4-5 other people and am going to look at renting some of the larger houses next to the Medical College soon.

T-7 weeks and counting.

-Devin
I asked specifically about a gym/health club. They said they didn't have one, but there was a Y downtown.

I heard about wireless in the lecture halls when I took the student-guided tour before my interview. I'm going to PM one of the 2nd-3rd years and ask about both.

RxnMan said:
I asked specifically about a gym/health club. They said they didn't have one, but there was a Y downtown.

I heard about wireless in the lecture halls when I took the student-guided tour before my interview. I'm going to PM one of the 2nd-3rd years and ask about both.

during my tour they said they are moving to make the whole college/hospital wireless but they were running into HIPPA issues for some reason with the servers. I think by the time we get there we should have wireless everywhere but who knows.

as far as the Y, it's walking distance from the school

Edit: the url doesn't paste right but it is on the north east side of washington park.

here's the direct URL http://www.capitaldistrictymca.com/

How far do people typically walk to campus from their apts? Coming from the city where everyone walks everwhere I wouldn't mind walking 15 blocks to class but I don't know how feasable it is in albany. Right now i'm looking for an apt and one of the landlords was telling about how there were recent drug related shootings and crime on Dana and Morris right next to the school. It really doesn't phase me but how much safer could it be on S. lake or pine hills which is right nextdoor?

Also does anyone know how safe it is to keep your car on the street?

vkhalsa said:
How far do people typically walk to campus from their apts? Coming from the city where everyone walks everwhere I wouldn't mind walking 15 blocks to class but I don't know how feasable it is in albany. Right now i'm looking for an apt and one of the landlords was telling about how there were recent drug related shootings and crime on Dana and Morris right next to the school. It really doesn't phase me but how much safer could it be on S. lake or pine hills which is right nextdoor?
Exactly. It's a better neighborhood more to the west of the school (more money) but it's still pretty bad, especially in the 2-block ring around Wash Park.

I ended up getting an apartment a half-mile from the campus. I'm not that worried about walking that (but check back with me in December). If it gets too cold, I'm getting a parking pass.

Hey all. I rented a one bedroom on the corner of South Lake and Western Ave. It seems safe over there (or at least I hope so). It's about a half mile from campus. Still haven't decided if I should get a car yet. Any advice?

Mick77 said:
Hey all. I rented a one bedroom on the corner of South Lake and Western Ave. It seems safe over there (or at least I hope so). It's about a half mile from campus. Still haven't decided if I should get a car yet. Any advice?

Getting around without a car can be a bitch during clinicals from what i hear. Plus I don't know about groceries and stuff like that. There's no Freshdirect in albany (NYC people know what i'm talking about) so you might get stuck walking 10 blocks with grocery bags

dz15233251 said:

T-7 weeks and counting.

-Devin

i might be interested, depending on how close it would be to the school, if there's parking for my car, how much, etc.

vkhalsa said:

To echo earlier comments, I noticed distinct differences between the neighborhoods to the east and west of campus -- and the west seemed much safer. In the end, I decided to get something further to the west along New Scotland Avenue-- beyond Pine Hills -- because I don't mind driving a little ways and because that's where I thought I'd be most comfortable. But even to the west of the school one can go a block and have a totally different "feel" to the neighborhood -- for instance, once I crossed Western Avenue to the north, things got quite a bit sketchier. But that's just my take... my advice: if you can, go drive around and look at places before you commit; I found a lot of places sounded great but actually weren't quite as advertised!

Another 2010 classmate signing in. My wife and I just bought a house a of miles west of campus. Our neighborhood is safe and nice but it is on the very outer fringes of a reasonable walking distance.

so, i can't seem to find any specific scheduling information on the web site or college catalogue. i found a list of the total courses for each academic year (which includes the number of lectures, etc.) but no specifics on dates or times; for all i know, all 12 of these classes are taught simultaneously.

zahque said:
so, i can't seem to find any specific scheduling information on the web site or college catalogue. i found a list of the total courses for each academic year (which includes the number of lectures, etc.) but no specifics on dates or times; for all i know, all 12 of these classes are taught simultaneously.

I had this question too a few months ago and it was answered when I spoke with an MSII. Courses are organized around systems -- for instance our first will be "Medical Cell Biology and Genetics". In general, we have three 50-minute lectures from 9-12 AM, and it is my understanding is that all the lectures are integrated on the tests for a system (so there won't be multiple finals at once). The orientation packet -- which I received this last week -- describes all of this in detail (including giving dates for the blocks, tests, and vacations and a typical daily schedule for 1st years).