Alabama Schools Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem to me that this wouldn't be a problem if they gave campus selections on a first come, first serve basis?

People interviewed this early are only putting one campus b/c they assume there are tons of slots still open. What happened?

Hmm, did I completely misunderstand them at interview orientation? I got the impression that they only did two rounds of lottery, one for EDPs and then a later round for everyone else.

Now granted, first come-first serve makes more sense, but as someone who doesn't have a chance until the latter rounds, rolling campus selection for me would be a strong negative against the school.

Has anyone heard back with more definitive information?

Members don't see this ad.

The way I understand it from the info at the interview and off the webpage is that they do a campus lottery by batch of letters. So, they should be sending out about 1 batch a month, but so far they haven't sent out any (I'm assuming) letters.

Here is the current status as of 5:51 PM CST

Check Your Status

Your Current Status is Campus Choices Received

It has changed twice in the last 4 days.

:horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone else get this email? :confused:

December 19, 2006

Dear Applicant:

Due to the fact that many applicants only list one option for their clinical campus preference, we are reopening the campus selection process until January 8, 2007 so that those wishing to reconsider their initial selections will have an opportunity to modify their selections. We are not required to do this but want to give our applicants an opportunity to modify their selections since providing only one option might result in being randomly assigned to one of our campuses. Note that applicants are assigned to campuses proportionately each time letters of acceptance are issued. This means campuses fill in a manner that limits the number of places available on each campus at the time letters are issued (i.e., 60% are assigned to Birmingham and 20% each to Huntsville and Tuscaloosa). Official letters of acceptance with your campus assignment will be mailed as soon as possible after this period for reconsideration is completed.

Man, this sucks. Does anybody else think this is a bad system? I mean, if they do it by batch, they're pretty likely to have this problem early each application year. I'm thinking that probably the most motivated and likely competitive applicants interview earliest in the year, then are accepted earliest, so they have them all together in one batch for campus assignments. Assuming UAB values research experience in admissions, they're likely to have a lot of accepted people in the first batch that want to do research and do not want to be assigned to either of the smaller campuses. Also, if the earlier acceptees have better stats, they're more likely to feel entitled to their first choice and not want to budge on campus selection. It seems like Miami has a slightly better system, where you apply to each campus separately. I still love UAB, but I'm not loving this situation.

(I can already imagine somebody reading this and thinking I'm being arrogant because I interviewed and was accepted early in the year, so I apologize in advance for sounding like a pompous ass.)

Man, this sucks. Does anybody else think this is a bad system? I mean, if they do it by batch, they're pretty likely to have this problem early each application year. I'm thinking that probably the most motivated and likely competitive applicants interview earliest in the year, then are accepted earliest, so they have them all together in one batch for campus assignments. Assuming UAB values research experience in admissions, they're likely to have a lot of accepted people in the first batch that want to do research and do not want to be assigned to either of the smaller campuses. Also, if the earlier acceptees have better stats, they're more likely to feel entitled to their first choice and not want to budge on campus selection. It seems like Miami has a slightly better system, where you apply to each campus separately. I still love UAB, but I'm not loving this situation.

(I can already imagine somebody reading this and thinking I'm being arrogant because I interviewed and was accepted early in the year, so I apologize in advance for sounding like a pompous ass.)

I think you have a point with those who apply early, get an interview earlier, and get accepted earlier should have first choice in this matter. There may be a few people who are not at fault that they applied later than the majority, but I don't want to break it to people, but life is not a blissful walk in the park. Furthermore, medicine is about learning principles and being able to use those principles in different contexts. I don't believe that you can seriously think that you will be able to learn every situation that will arise in for example surgery before leaving your surgery residency.

Anyway. Early bird gets the worm. And as we have found out, the late birds may be able to get the worm, if the early birds change their minds.

did anyone else get that e-mail?

Has anyone else's status changed?

I've not heard/seen anything on my end.

Yes...I too got this email that is a load of bull****. I studied my ass of for the April MCAT, turned my application in the summer, interviewed in the fall, and was one of the 1st ones to be accepted. God damnit...I better get my campus choice. I say you put all the kid's who get in from the waitlist into these other campuses...not the ones who were ahead of the game. I thought I was done with worrying about this stupid application process, but once again it comes back... I should just quickly get married to someone in Birmingham...haha. I have a question for you guys...You only do the LAST 2 yrs on those other campuses, right?

Also, my status is: Campus choices received...no longer says accepted...kind of a scary thought...

Yes...I too got this email that is a load of bull****. I studied my ass of for the April MCAT, turned my application in the summer, interviewed in the fall, and was one of the 1st ones to be accepted. God damnit...I better get my campus choice. I say you put all the kid's who get in from the waitlist into these other campuses...not the ones who were ahead of the game. I thought I was done with worrying about this stupid application process, but once again it comes back... I should just quickly get married to someone in Birmingham...haha. I have a question for you guys...You only do the LAST 2 yrs on those other campuses, right?

I hear you. And I am in the same boat. Oh yeah, and my status no longer says accepted either. It says something like "Campus Choice Confirmed". JDovers, I think you didn't get the email because you put down more than one choice, right? I'm assuming that people who only put down one campus got it. Anyway, I've got a husband who works in a law firm in Bham and two kids who are in school. It would be a dealbreaker for me if I got "randomly assigned" to Huntsville and it would be pretty darn close to one if I got stuck in Tuscaloosa. This whole thing is incredibly frustrating. I can't believe that this all could go up in smoke over the campus selection issue.

My guess is that the people who run the show in Tuscaloosa and Huntsville do not want their programs to be perceived as the places where the waitlist candidates end up (not that there is anything remotely wrong with that). That's not what it says in the Q&A but that is my read on it. I talked to someone on the inside who says that they have tried to handle this numerous different ways over the years and have made people angry every time. That said, I think it is interesting that the early decision folks get their pick but the early acceptance folks (those in before Christmas) don't. It is all giving me a major headache!

I live in Birmingham and have gone to undergrad in Bhm. I also have shown interest in doing research, which would be most possible at UAB. I hope its not a truly "RANDOM" assortment. Honestly, I can't see why clinical years in Bhm have to even have a cap on them. It's not like they don't have enough space... I really wish they would read this forum to understand the level of frustration this causes... I re-confirmed my BHM only option, cause if I put any alternate, I will SURELY get my second choice.

I live in Birmingham and have gone to undergrad in Bhm. I also have shown interest in doing research, which would be most possible at UAB. I hope its not a truly "RANDOM" assortment. Honestly, I can't see why clinical years in Bhm have to even have a cap on them. It's not like they don't have enough space... I really wish they would read this forum to understand the level of frustration this causes... I re-confirmed my BHM only option, cause if I put any alternate, I will SURELY get my second choice.

Its not a truly random assignment and just because you put a second choice does not mean you will surely get your second choice. You have just as much of a chance of getting Birmingham as everyone else who put Birmingham as 1st choice. The difference is that if someone puts only Birmingham and they are not chosen for that campus in the lottery, they notify you that you can reconsider your choice. If someone puts a second choice, it makes the campus selection a lot smoother.

At least that's what I think their process is. If someone else knows that this is not the case, please chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else having trouble accessing the secondary to confirm your campus selection?

LOL... You're great Rabbitsfeet777..

Yes, only the last two years.

I can access my secondary.

I haven't had a status change. It's still "no campus assignment."

=/

Well, if this forum shows any of the true character of my classmates, I think I am DEFINITELY in the right place. =)

I am sick of being out of the state of Alabama at a private college. I'm ready to go back home to the place were the skies are sooo blue. And it is in the 60s instead of the 20s!!!!

It's going to be awesome going to school with all of you!

When I clicked the link from the original secondary application email it worked. It was just something about the link in the most recent campus choice email that was busted.

And yeah, I think you all are going to be awesome classmates too! Happy holidays everyone!

I will go live in Huntsville or Tuscaloosa. I don't care. Just need an interview and acceptance, ha. I wish I could tell the adcoms that I would take some of the heat off them by being a martyr and leaving Bham for the last 2 years.
Are any OOS-ers having any success with UAB?

I will go live in Huntsville or Tuscaloosa. I don't care. Just need an interview and acceptance, ha. I wish I could tell the adcoms that I would take some of the heat off them by being a martyr and leaving Bham for the last 2 years.
Are any OOS-ers having any success with UAB?

I'm OOS and I was absolutely amazed to be interviewed and accepted so early at UAB. I am still thrilled, except for the campus assignment scandal. Maybe you should write them a letter of intent if you're sure they're your first choice. They are really nice and receptive in the admissions office. Good luck!

does anyone know if either USA or UAB sent any acceptances this month?

when was the last time acceptances to UAB went out?

I interviewed on Nov.16, and I'm still waitin' for my acceptance letter (or e-mail). Has anyone else received one? If not, do you think that we'll have to wait until after Jan.8?

I interviewed on Nov.16, and I'm still waitin' for my acceptance letter (or e-mail). Has anyone else received one? If not, do you think that we'll have to wait until after Jan.8?

i also interviewed november 16th and haven't heard anything... boo!

i also interviewed november 16th and haven't heard anything... boo!

It looks like we'll have to wait. Either that or nobody who was accepted within our interview timeframes has bragged on SDN about it. :scared:

So wait, AUstudent you have received your acceptance from USA then? Sorry, i'm just confused about the wording. Congrats too, and war eagle!

So wait, AUstudent you have received your acceptance from USA then? Sorry, i'm just confused about the wording. Congrats too, and war eagle!

He meant Alabama. He accidentally quoted my post on South Alabama.

My acceptance was from UASOM. Sorry for the confusion!

USA people: Are we supposed to get an acceptance packet or something? I sent my deposit in, and I called and asked if they had gotten it. They had, so what happens next??

Also, my status is: Campus choices received...no longer says accepted...kind of a scary thought...

mine also says campus choice received, does that possibly mean i'm accepted? i haven't received an acceptance email or anything but i haven't checked my status in the several weeks since my interview so i'm foolishly thinking perhaps it said accepted a few days ago. wishful thinking i guess.

mine also says campus choice received, does that possibly mean i'm accepted? i haven't received an acceptance email or anything but i haven't checked my status in the several weeks since my interview so i'm foolishly thinking perhaps it said accepted a few days ago. wishful thinking i guess.

No. It will say "accepted--no campus assignment" as your next status update.

Well, I don't know what to think. Since austudent got an acceptance recently and none of us have, does that mean we missed this round? Sounds like it does.

For all of you fellow Alabamians.

Merry Christmas... Happy Holidays... Or whatever you want to call it!

Is anyone else here in this category? Has anyone gotten OUT of this category? Any suggestions on how to get myself to the promised land of an interview?

Is anyone else here in this category? Has anyone gotten OUT of this category? Any suggestions on how to get myself to the promised land of an interview?

You could probably send additional letters of recommendation? Other than that, I would probably just wait.

Some people would say that you had three years previous to answer the last question.

Just keep the faith. You still have a couple of months.

UAB has started sending secondaries to AL residents with MCAT score of 24 and higher. They said on their website that they won't start sending stuff to out of state applicants until mid august.

wow.. didn't know UAB required just a 24 to get looked at. I'm certain that they look at the higher scores in the end, or the ones with GPAs that balance out the MCAT scores

For those of you who have interviewed at UASOM, I have a weird question (just curious): When we filled out those surveys about our interview days (you know the ones where you can make comments about the interview day's festivities), were they anonymous? One of my friends said that she might've been too honest and harsh, and she wanted to know if it would hurt her. I thought I'd get on here and check for her.

For those of you who have interviewed at UASOM, I have a weird question (just curious): When we filled out those surveys about our interview days (you know the ones where you can make comments about the interview day's festivities), were they anonymous? One of my friends said that she might've been too honest and harsh, and she wanted to know if it would hurt her. I thought I'd get on here and check for her.

Hrmm interesting question. Honesty is usually the best thing. Besides the people that read those things may be the organizers for interview days, which aren't necessarily adcoms.

If I remember correctly, they did want honest feedback. I felt that they wanted to be the best they could be.

Just to let everyone know I got an acceptance email on Friday, Jan. 5th. It said that the acceptance letter could still take up to four weeks as everyone changes their campus choices.

Also, I changed my campus choices and my staus changed from "accepted-no campus assignment yet" to "campus choices received"

Congrats!!!

Is UAB def. where you're heading, or are you weighing your options?

i also got an acceptance to UAB friday morning!! (i interviewed nov. 16, oos)

Status
Not open for further replies.