Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fellow wait-listers... Just got off the phone with admissions and they said that they were pretty much completely full at this point. Anyone that gets pulled off the wait list will be as needed in case of a drop. Post bacc here I come! :|

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat as coolcat fwiw

Fellow wait-listers... Just got off the phone with admissions and they said that they were pretty much completely full at this point. Anyone that gets pulled off the wait list will be as needed in case of a drop. Post bacc here I come! :|
Thanks for the update!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, very little waitlist movement this year compared to previously, huh?

Wasn't this the case during late Spring? If I'm not mistakened, all but a few seats were filled around that time, with WL movement occurring since.

Wasn't this the case during late Spring? If I'm not mistakened, all but a few seats were filled around that time, with WL movement occurring since.

I wouldn't give up hope on ACOM if wait listed for sure, BUT I would also definitely get my apps out early and broadly just in case.

Not sure about ACOM last cycle but I watched a few other schools and they were accepting people the first week of August. I know of quite a few students who posted last year that they got acceptances in July and decided to go somewhere else at the last minute, which left some newer and less competitive schools with openings. Don't want to spread false hope, but it ain't over until it's over.

Actually there's been a good amount of movement for quite some time as evidenced by the number of students joining the fb group everyday. Don't forget that SDN activity is nowhere near indicative of the activity of the general applicant pool.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to let all of those accepted know that the ACOM Class of 2020 facebook page is gaining a lot of traction, friends getting made, and useful info being shared so if you haven't already make your way over!

For those applying this new cycle ACOM rocks and the people are just awesome.

For those from SDN reapplying and passionate about DO I'm rooting for you and class of 2021!

Best of luck to us all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying here for the 2016-2017 cycle and just received a secondary app email. However, I have not submitted my MCAT score- can anyone provide any info on if they normally send secondaries without MCAT score? I'm shocked and appreciative to have gotten the secondary but also curious. Thanks in advance!

I am applying here for the 2016-2017 cycle and just received a secondary app email. However, I have not submitted my MCAT score- can anyone provide any info on if they normally send secondaries without MCAT score? I'm shocked and appreciative to have gotten the secondary but also curious. Thanks in advance!
They and others do that, but let them know asap when ur mcat score comes in.

Good luck

This happened to me last year for VCOM-Auburn. If it is the same, which I expect it is, you are eligible to submit the secondary without an MCAT on record but will be ineligible for interview until the MCAT is in. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM vs SGU (carib)... anyone have any thoughts?
Like someone would be weighing these two options seriously. Lol. And if you really are, for the love of God, choose SGU so myself or any of the other wait-listers can have your spot.

Reactions: 6 users
Can someone explain to me tier 1,2,3? Are there specific cutoffs for MCAT AND GPA or can a lower MCAT and higher than average GPA (and vice versa) push you into a higher tier?

geez gettin a little snappy in here lol

Hey guys, I got off the waitlist at another school so I will be giving up my seat here. I hope it goes to one of you guys, ACOM seems like an awesome school! Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Can anyone comment on what the living situation is like at ACOM on-campus apartment? Are they really how the website displayed? What are the prices?

Also, this might seem like a silly question but even though ACOM is affiliated with a hospital, is there still a lot of preceptor type of experience going on it third and fourth year?

When I called admissions yesterday, they said they were still pulling off people on the waitlist categorized as tier 1, but are preparing to start looking into people in tier 2. I'm not sure if people on the waitlist are ranked, but they're at least sorted into tiers.

So if you know you're in tier 1, your chances of getting pulled soon seem pretty good! If you call admissions, they'll let you know what tier you're in.

When I called admissions yesterday, they said they were still pulling off people on the waitlist categorized as tier 1, but are preparing to start looking into people in tier 2. I'm not sure if people on the waitlist are ranked, but they're at least sorted into tiers.

So if you know you're in tier 1, your chances of getting pulled soon seem pretty good! If you call admissions, they'll let you know what tier you're in.
Thank you for this. I called them and they were really helpful in explaining the waiting. For those on the waiting list, who do you talk to when you call admissions? Also, how often have you been calling/emailing admissions asking about or sending updates? I am trying to remain optimistic while expecting the worst but having an uncertain future can be pretty stressful!

^ Yeah, who should you talk to when you call?

Last edited:
When you guys applied, did you have to upload your letters of recommendation? Seems repetitive since they are available in our AACOMAS app. Want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thank you for this. I called them and they were really helpful in explaining the waiting. For those on the waiting list, who do you talk to when you call admissions? Also, how often have you been calling/emailing admissions asking about or sending updates? I am trying to remain optimistic while expecting the worst but having an uncertain future can be pretty stressful!
^ Yeah, who should you talk to when you call?

I usually talk to Ron Willis. I called today and was told that there are a few spots open right now that they are filling. But he feels like it is near the end of this round. So I have officially resubmitted for next year.

I usually talk to Ron Willis. I called today and was told that there are a few spots open right now that they are filling. But he feels like it is near the end of this round. So I have officially resubmitted for next year.

Did you ask what tier you are in like Miss Jea suggested? I've been calling him too. I wanted to know if anybody has been calling anybody else because I have never heard of the tier system. He suggested that you reapply as soon as possible?

When you guys applied, did you have to upload your letters of recommendation? Seems repetitive since they are available in our AACOMAS app. Want to make sure I am not missing something.

I only had my letters in the AACOMAS app and didn't upload anything for last cycle. You can always call ACOM and ask what they prefer.

I had to resubmit a couple of mine because they didn't have signatures on them.

I had to resubmit a couple of mine because they didn't have signatures on them.

Same with me, ACOM didn't care other than making sure the letters meet their criteria. e.g. letterhead, signature

I used interfolio. Did either of you? I'm not sure if a digital signature is required by default..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I used interfolio to deliver the subsequently signed version of the letters, but just AACOMAS initially.

Did you ask what tier you are in like Miss Jea suggested? I've been calling him too. I wanted to know if anybody has been calling anybody else because I have never heard of the tier system. He suggested that you reapply as soon as possible?
I just got off the phone with Bob Willis and he sort of described it as a tier system. He told me that there were a few seats left and they just pulled a batch of 20-30 applicants for re-review. Apparently they have already made "decisions" on many of the wait-listers and have determined who they think is viable and who is not. The good news is you should be able to call and ask if you are in this batch of 20-30 applicants for re-review. The bad news is that it seems like they minimized the pool of wait-list candidates to these 20-30 applicants... meaning if you are not in this batch, then the chances of getting in are slim. Hope this information helps!

Does anyone know if they give interview feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I did not. But he did suggest that I was lower on the list and that there are higher MCAT and GPA's than mine. (mine 24 old/497 new[I know low :/ gonna retake soon!], and 3.55 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA)

I did not. But he did suggest that I was lower on the list and that there are higher MCAT and GPA's than mine. (mine 24 old/497 new[I know low :/ gonna retake soon!], and 3.55 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA)

Definitely fix the MCAT and if other things (ECs, LORs, etc) are strong you should have a good chance this cycle! Good Luck

I just got off the phone with Bob Willis and he sort of described it as a tier system. He told me that there were a few seats left and they just pulled a batch of 20-30 applicants for re-review. Apparently they have already made "decisions" on many of the wait-listers and have determined who they think is viable and who is not. The good news is you should be able to call and ask if you are in this batch of 20-30 applicants for re-review. The bad news is that it seems like they minimized the pool of wait-list candidates to these 20-30 applicants... meaning if you are not in this batch, then the chances of getting in are slim. Hope this information helps!
Any idea when they're gonna call these 20-30 applicants?

Those of you who are still on the Waitlist, what state are you coming from? I'm from Alabama.

His name is Robert Willis. It would not be a good sign if you asked for someone that wasn't there.

Thank you for creating a shred of hope for me yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I wish they would email telling us what tier we're in...