Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let my acceptance here go! Hope one of you guys here back soon! I thought the school and staff were great and super friendly!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email stating I was wait listed. Can't say I'm surprised, although I really thought my interview didn't go well, so at the end of the day I'm thankful. Here's hoping this wait list makes some moves.

Just got an email stating I was wait listed. Can't say I'm surprised, although I really thought my interview didn't go well, so at the end of the day I'm thankful. Here's hoping this wait list makes some moves.

Don't give up yet I heard that last year there was large waitlist movement come May and June!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up yet I heard that last year there was large waitlist movement come May and June!
Yup, definitely not giving up just yet. It's not over 'till its over :D They talked about that during the interview as well, so I'm sure there's going to be something.

So on page 24, I brought up the issue with needing varicella vaccinations AND titers proving immunity and how it didnt make sense. Some of you said that was a typo. Some of you said you would only need titers because it makes no sense (100% agree). Someone said that you contacted Mr. Willis about it and he confirmed we only need titers. I had chicken pox as a child, I got titers done last week. Immunity is an index of >165. My index is >4000. I am CLEARLY 1000000% immune. I submitted it to certified profile. Rejected. "You must submit 2 vaccinations AND positive titers."

So... not sure what to do now.

I would try to contact Certified Profile about the discrepancy. I have to check out what's up with my rejections as well because I submitted my immunization record, but now apparently I need subsequent vaccinations and a titer. I plan to call CP and ask why my immunization record is not sufficient and also address the discrepancy between having both or just either. I'll update the thread once I get around to figuring it out.

Yup, definitely not giving up just yet. It's not over 'till its over :D They talked about that during the interview as well, so I'm sure there's going to be something.

Do you have many other feelers out there or just waiting on ACOM?

Just an update regarding the vaccination issue. This is specifically for varicella, so dont interpret it in any other way. Basically, the system was designed to believe that most people did not gain immunity through chicken pox infection. They predict most students will have been vaccinated for it instead, and subsequently need titers to prove their vaccinations worked. People like me are not "the norm" in regards to varicella immunity. Because of this, certified profile will flag it by default as not being complete. And here's the important part, if you fall into a situation like me, they will look at it internally regardless of what certified profile says. So, because I had chicken pox and got titers to prove I am VERY immune to varicella, they will override it on their end through admissions and ignore the fact that certified profile hasnt received proof of 2 vaccinations. If you have any questions or think this may apply to your situation for varicella (or any other immunizations), definitely just send them an email! Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 1 users
I have the same question. If the class is full it may be best I save the "travel money" and go to the school (lower on my preference list) where I have been accepted and paid a deposit. Advice???

If you read above, someone that interviewed there recently said class was about half full. As far as I know, they interview late into April-May, so I doubt the class is anywhere near full. But it's your decision to make.

I have the same question. If the class is full it may be best I save the "travel money" and go to the school (lower on my preference list) where I have been accepted and paid a deposit. Advice???

Obviously it depends on many factors... When I interviewed early feb they said they were half full so im sure there are still seats left but they'll be picking the more competitive applicants now ... But if ur stats are good and you really want to go to Alabama then go for it ... Also, depends on what kind of interviewer you are ... If you tend to kill interviews then thats just another reason to go... Good luck making a decision!

If there is any chance you would be this over your current school that you've been accepted to GO... No it is not full, but honestly there was huge movement last year off the waitlist from what I was told.

Thank you all so much for responses! I truly appreciate your feedback. My stats: 28, 3.71 sci., 3.82, I interview very well as my job for the last few years involves a great deal of public speaking. My issue is I am 41 years old. I have worked in health care for many years and have solid recommendations. However, I am older than even the "usual non-traditional applicant" and have "just felt/sensed the covert concern" about this from admissions staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all so much for responses! I truly appreciate your feedback. My stats: 28, 3.71 sci., 3.82, I interview very well as my job for the last few years involves a great deal of public speaking. My issue is I am 41 years old. I have worked in health care for many years and have solid recommendations. However, I am older than even the "usual non-traditional applicant" and have "just felt/sensed the covert concern" about this from admissions staff.
I don't think this is a concern. I am 34 and have classmates in their 40's as well. I feel like the age is an asset. If you like the idea of ACOM then get down here. The class is probably not full at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who were accepted and decided to go to ACOM, here's the fb group just in case you didn't see it in the past pages! Class of 2018 is on there to help answer any questions you may have about housing, school activities, etc! Congrats to the Class of 2019!! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACOM2019/

I'm so excited I received an ii from here but all the dates are full until May!!! yikes if anyone wants to give up an earlier interview date please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

I'm so excited I received an ii from here but all the dates are full until May!!! yikes if anyone wants to give up an earlier interview date please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Got one too earlier today too. They had scattered dates throughout March, April. Looks like they got taken up, but luckily I got one in April before they did.

Got one too earlier today too. They had scattered dates throughout March, April. Looks like they got taken up, but luckily I got one in April before they did.
I had to wait for Chris to email me "new" credentials. I put new in quotes because I don't recall receiving credentials the first time around. I couldn't log on to the system plus I guess they don't send out mass emails I got mine around 5:00 pm so I just knew I would have to wait till tomorrow to reserve my spot. However the IT person emailed me at 8:00 o clock at night. I think that reflects very well of the school. That makes me want to go even more. I think they are working hard. Ms. Linda responded to an email I sent her on a saturday one time. But yes you are so lucky I would kill to have one in March or April. Nevertheless I'm grateful I got one at all. :) Good luck and congrats to you!!!

Hey guys, current OMS-1 student here if you guys have any questions regarding ACOM please feel free to PM me!

On a side note, if anyone is looking into renting an apartment at Highland Hills (or has any questions) please pm me and put me down as a referral. They are giving a hefty $500 dollars per referral and would be more than happy to split it with you.

Thanks!

May 4th Interview :(
If anyone is going to cancel an earlier interview, PM me please.

Last edited:
Dumb questions... I can't find the date of the first day of class, when is it recommended to move to Alabama (if out of state), and to people who rely on financial aid... I did the fafsa but how do I ensure theyll loan me enough to cover living expenses and tuition?

May 4th Interview :(
If anyone is going to cancel an earlier interview, PM me please.
You understand my struggle hopefully we get an earlier date but if not I will see you on the fourth! Have you decided what your plans are for lodging? are you coming from far away?

Dumb questions... I can't find the date of the first day of class, when is it recommended to move to Alabama (if out of state), and to people who rely on financial aid... I did the fafsa but how do I ensure theyll loan me enough to cover living expenses and tuition?

OMS 1 here. Do not quote me on the start time for next year since I believe they will be starting a week earlier but it is looking like July 22nd might be the date for Orientation for first years. I would recommend arriving about a week before orientation to move and get settled to Dothan. As for financial aid, Travis Cobb is wonderful he will let you know exactly what you need to do to get the most money possible, under the financial aid laws, to cover your expenses. You probably wont get that information until later into the year after you've paid your deposit.

OMS 1 here. Do not quote me on the start time for next year since I believe they will be starting a week earlier but it is looking like July 22nd might be the date for Orientation for first years. I would recommend arriving about a week before orientation to move and get settled to Dothan. As for financial aid, Travis Cobb is wonderful he will let you know exactly what you need to do to get the most money possible, under the financial aid laws, to cover your expenses. You probably wont get that information until later into the year after you've paid your deposit.

Thanks for the reply! I actually have paid the deposit, and have turned in everything requested on certified profile. I think the only think I still havent done is send in all previous transcripts and order the medical supplies. Ill definitely try to contact Mr Cobb then.

Know why you want to me a physician, particularly a DO.
Know your weak spots well and be able to explain how you've learned from them and how you can overcome them in med school.
Your interviewers will be your advocates before the admissions board so knowing that try to relax and have a good conversation, that is more the style of the interview here rather than a grilling about scores etc. If they don't think you will be a good fit for the school then you will need to explain why you are.
If YOU don't feel like it is a good fit (regardless of where you interview) don't force it. You want to be at a place that feels right because believing in the vision of your school will help set you up for success.
Most of all RELAX. I know that sounds like cliche advice but i think you'll see that the environment here is quite laid back and friendly and we are genuinely interested in helping each other succeed.
Good luck

You understand my struggle hopefully we get an earlier date but if not I will see you on the fourth! Have you decided what your plans are for lodging? are you coming from far away?
Hey!
See you then!
I'm coming from south florida. I'll just drive up and play it by ear.
How about you? :)

not true. MCAT is all relative. there are those with lower MCAT scores and those with much higher scores. ACOM is truly about the whole individual.

The person only asked about the MCAT and not about both. If you don't have either a 26 MCAT or 3.3 GPA, you are put into the second tier pre-interview. These people are not usually given an interview unless their is an update in the grades or MCAT that will put them over in either category. I know this because I am extremely close in both and have not gotten an interview in months. They told me this is the reason over the phone. All schools have threshold stats that they want before an interview. The "looking at the whole individual" truly applies once the interview is given.

Last edited:
Hey!
See you then!
I'm coming from south florida. I'll just drive up and play it by ear.
How about you? :)
I'm coming from Louisiana so I will have to drive their the day before or since its a Monday I might make it a weekend thing. The drive is 7 hrs from where I am

I'm coming from Louisiana so I will have to drive their the day before or since its a Monday I might make it a weekend thing. The drive is 7 hrs from where I am

The drive is about 8 hours for me. I'm going to probably drive up on Sunday morning and leave Monday afternoon/night. As of now, see you then ;)

The person only asked about the MCAT and not about both. If you don't have either a 26 MCAT or 3.3 GPA, you are put into the second tier pre-interview. These people are not usually given an interview unless their is an update in the grades or MCAT that will put them over in either category. I know this because I am extremely close in both and have not gotten an interview in months. They told me this is the reason over the phone. All schools have threshold stats that they want before an interview. The "looking at the whole individual" truly applies once the interview is given.

I was close in both, but I received an interview. I applied early though.

have you gotten an ii somewhere else?

From Louisiana. I am not sure if that makes that big of a difference since ACOM has a bigger student population from the AL, GA, and FL region.

It does to some degree, but you are right in that an earlier application does help. Congrats on the acceptance.

The drive is about 8 hours for me. I'm going to probably drive up on Sunday morning and leave Monday afternoon/night. As of now, see you then ;)
Just snagged an interview for March 13th instead of May 4th check the website NOW!!!!

I have 24 MCAT. do you think I will get an ii ???

interviewing here this friday.
looking forward to meet some of you and good luck to everyone!

I'll also be there on Friday...looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey guys I am also interviewing on Friday. I will be there Thursday evening so if anyone wants to grab dinner. Let me know.