Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. 162
2. Last year the report/rumor was in the neighborhood of 450-500.
3. It's hard to say. Perhaps 35-45 percent? I heard they had about 40 last drop out of their deposits, so you could assume they accepted 200 total.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
nvm

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent acceptances here?

I could be wrong but the deadline for many people's deposits was on the 14th. Not sure if that deterred them from accepting more people recently or not. I would be interested to hear how many have placed their deposit so far.

Hey all, been following the forums for a while, finally decided to make a profile. Interviewed 12/13, love the campus and the faculty. Their last day before the holiday break is this Friday, 12/20, and they said that the admissions committee meets tomorrow for this batch of interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how the post interview wait list works?
Do they review the wait list every month or just at the end of interviews?
Will they be reviewing it soon because of the December 15th deposit deadline?
I have been put on the wait list and I really love this school
I heard last year they gave acceptances to almost half of the wait list :)

My friend got an acceptance here today. He interviewed this month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!!!! Just got the call, I'm super psyched!

Reactions: 4 users
congrats :), do you mind sharing your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary 12/9. I received an email same day saying they received my secondary. I received an email 12/16 saying that my secondary had been processed. I have not heard anything since.
Are there any chances I still may be up for an interview?
Florida resident
3.67c/3.62s/26
Underrepresented minority from a rural underserved area

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary 12/9. I received an email same day saying they received my secondary. I received an email 12/16 saying that my secondary had been processed. I have not heard anything since.
Are there any chances I still may be up for an interview?
Florida resident
3.67c/3.62s/26
Underrepresented minority from a rural underserved area
My invite came 12 days after the complete email. Factor in the holiday break as well so it may be a few weeks. I can't say that for sure though but just to give you an idea. Good luck.

Does ACOM require current med students to volunteer a certain amount of hours?

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has already been covered, but just wondering...has everybody received a "complete" e-mail? I received some of the portal e-mails with login, etc, and checked my application status but it doesn't say anything is missing. I haven't received a "your application is complete" e-mail, just a "we have received it one." Should I call to double check or is it ok?

Thanks! Hope you guys had a happy holiday!
Yes, they send you the link (to check items for yourself) and they send a complete email later (which I got about a week and a half after all items showed complete)

Hope it helps!

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has already been covered, but just wondering...has everybody received a "complete" e-mail? I received some of the portal e-mails with login, etc, and checked my application status but it doesn't say anything is missing. I haven't received a "your application is complete" e-mail, just a "we have received it one." Should I call to double check or is it ok?

Thanks! Hope you guys had a happy holiday!

Open the link they emailed and go to self service (drop down menu). You can check your application status there and it also has a checklist for all your items.

congrats :), do you mind sharing your stats.
3.22c, 30Q MCAT, 2,000+ hours working in clinical settings.
They said an email would be coming soon on how to put down the deposit; their office is closed for the break, so I guess they'll send it in Jan when they open again..

This is a random question but for those who may have flown Delta to get to your interview, are you able to carry on a suit bag? And if so, does it just go on top of the bags of the overhead storage?

I've been looking and i haven't this information yet. Anyone know what's the average GPA and MCAT here? Are there a lot of minorities (chiefly AA) going here?

This is a random question but for those who may have flown Delta to get to your interview, are you able to carry on a suit bag? And if so, does it just go on top of the bags of the overhead storage?
Yes. Just put your suit in the carry on and place them in the overhead storage. Here's the YouTube video on how to fold your suit:

I've been looking and i haven't this information yet. Anyone know what's the average GPA and MCAT here? Are there a lot of minorities (chiefly AA) going here?

I would say that the number of URMs is about the same as any other school. MCAT was around 26 and I think GPA was around 3.45.

So I havent been able to get a hold of karen and I am assuming that they are closed still for the break. I know that I need to bring a copy of my birth certificate for my interview next week but the email also says to bring proof of citizenship. Does a social security card work?

You have to bring that stuff to interview? Wow. I submitted late (mid-Nov, complete early Dec), so I am still waiting on an II, but we only needed a picture ID for the interview last year (I applied WAY late last year... mid-March and interviewed in June).

So I havent been able to get a hold of karen and I am assuming that they are closed still for the break. I know that I need to bring a copy of my birth certificate for my interview next week but the email also says to bring proof of citizenship. Does a social security card work?

I interviewed way back in September, was accepted but ultimately gave up my spot. All I brought was my drivers license and passport. That seemed to be what most people used.

I interviewed way back in September, was accepted but ultimately gave up my spot. All I brought was my drivers license and passport. That seemed to be what most people used.
Thanks. I re-read the email and I feel like an idiot for asking in the first place. It just says to bring a photo ID and proof of citizenship, i.e., a birth certificate or passport.

Delta typically has a small closet up front. Just ask them to hang it up for you when you board. They're always very accommodating.

OOS applicant here (KY-resident)...Interviewing on Feb. 14th. Anyone else scheduled to interview on that day?

What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?
In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

Hey guys, about to apply here. A bit late, but are these the secondary essays and do you know how much the word limit is for them?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone remember from the interview the process for federal financial aid? I know the presentation said we were eligible for it I just can't remember the procedure

Hey everyone,
I'm a first year at ACOM. We just started our second semester yesterday. If anyone has any questions, concerns, comments about anything (faculty, location, financial aid, interviews, my personal feelings about the school, etc), let me know. One advantage you all have that we didn't is the ability to talk to current students, especially about a new school. So, I'm available to help.

Hey everyone,
I'm a first year at ACOM. We just started our second semester yesterday. If anyone has any questions, concerns, comments about anything (faculty, location, financial aid, interviews, my personal feelings about the school, etc), let me know. One advantage you all have that we didn't is the ability to talk to current students, especially about a new school. So, I'm available to help.
Thanks for donating your time to answer applicant questions.

I know you're still in the early stages of your education, and ACOM is a fresh school, but is there talk among the faculty/student body about how the clinical rotation are looking? I was on ACOM's website, but couldn't find any real relevant information about what hospitals the school may be forming ties with for the second half of your medical school education. Maybe it was already discussed somewhere on SDN, or it's hidden on the a portion of he web that I haven't come across, but either way if you have any thoughts I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

I know you're still in the early stages of your education, and ACOM is a fresh school, but is there talk among the faculty/student body about how the clinical rotation are looking? I was on ACOM's website, but couldn't find any real relevant information about what hospitals the school may be forming ties with for the second half of your medical school education. Maybe it was already discussed somewhere on SDN, or it's hidden on the a portion of he web that I haven't come across, but either way if you have any thoughts I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks!

I'm sure marfi311 could answer this, but I figured I would chime in since I've been doing a lot of the same research you have.

ACOM is using AMEC (Alabama Medical Education Consortium) for their clinical rotations. AMEC has been used for a number of years now by other DO schools and has become an established program. This was one of the benefits of going to ACOM for me, since it was a new school I worried about the rotations, but it turns out they have an established rotation program with a number of affiliated hospitals.

Heres a link for AMEC's map of hospital locations: http://www.amecdo.com/maps.php

If you peruse around their site you can find the exact hospitals for each location

Do you have a link to them? I dug around and couldn't find them. TIA

This is what I found on one of the older AMEC annual reports under the "Who we are" tab:

Core Sites as of 2006

"Birmingham – Cooper Green Hospital
Montgomery – Montgomery Family Medicine Residency Program, Baptist Health
Montgomery – Jackson Hospital
Troy – Southeast Alabama Rural Health Associates (SARHA)
Selma – Selma Family Medicine Residency Program (family medicine rotation only)
Selma - Selma Family Practice Inc.
Geneva – Wiregrass Medical Center
Mobile - AMEC
Foley – South Baldwin Regional Medical Center
Anniston –Family Medicine Residency Program (Family Medicine Rotation only)
Demopolis – Bryan W. Whitfield Memorial Hospital
Dothan – Southeast Alabama Medical Center
Rural Alabama Health Alliance – West Alabama
Hamilton – Boyett Health Service"

I'm pretty sure it's not all-inclusive since its from a number of years ago, so you can imagine it's much bigger after 7 years of opening new rotations. According to the most recent publication, they also have/are opening core sites in western GA, eastern MS and north FL.

All helpful. Thanks for the info, Play.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have the fed FAFSA code for ACOM?

It hasn't been given out to ACOM yet. They're expecting it in a few weeks, maybe mid Feb. at the latest. From the Fin. Aid office, "The government shutdown forced setbacks that casued the delay..."

What Playdoh4lyfe said is accurate. AMEC is who is organizing all the sites, most being in the state of Alabama, a few being in the border states close to Alabama. We actually had a day (called "hospital day") 2 months ago where many of the rotation sites came to the school and set up booths to answer any of our questions. There were representatives from a few residencies as well. It's still pretty early, but it seems that the amount of sites are constantly growing. I expect Hospital Day next year will be even bigger.
The only concern students have is where they will be sent. The talk among the students is that the decisions for who goes where is going to be done in a "lottery style" of sorts. I personally haven't heard that from administration, only other students. I imagine they will have us submit our top 5 sites, and they'll do what they can, and then just randomly select to be the most fair. I get stressed about that, only because I have a wife and 2-year old girl, and moving around is such a pain. Last I heard, there are only about 25-30 spots at SAMC (the local hospital in Dothan) for rotations, so the chances of staying in Dothan are pretty low (class size is 160). I'm from the West and so I don't have any connections anywhere around here, so I'd rather just stay in Dothan. I know many students from around here would like to be close to where they're from, so hopefully that can work out for them, but for us out-of-staters, who knows. Again, it's a dynamic process so I wouldn't be surprised if more spots open up around the state and maybe even in Dothan, but that's pretty much the talk.
As far as Financial Aid goes, we're still waiting for the code. The way the school has handled these delays have been great. They've instituted an advanced funding plan with no interest that we just pay back once we get federal aid. But, you guys won't need to deal with that, since we'll have Federal Loans by then (hopefully! ha ha) I hope we get the code sooner than mid-february, like Playdoh4lyfe mentioned. It's hard to get the same amount that single students get and still live. We've been scraping by and counting down the minutes to when we get some real aid. But, I'm not worried in the long run. It'll all eventually work out.