Airforce HPSP Pharmacy 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Postponed to 10/18. here we gooo

Members don't see this ad.

I think hurricane Michael hitting Tyndall AFB and the damage done in general is going to delay things in congress unfortunately...

I think hurricane Michael hitting Tyndall AFB and the damage done in general is going to delay things in congress unfortunately...

Oh true, that may have something to do with it. The pictures from Florida have been looking pretty devastating. Why do you mention congress? Does the state of congress have an impact on the selection board?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told Congress has to approve the selected applicants or they at least have some part in the process? I don't know the details too well because didn't ask too much into this.

I don't think it'd have anything to do with selection. Congress has to approve the new fiscal year budgets which would determine how big the military force is.. But passed that, shouldn't matter. Separate entities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't really heard anything. The couple times that I've checked in with my recruiter he's just said that we're waiting on the board and they have not updated him on a new projected timeline. He seemed pretty convinced it would be before the end of the month at the latest but it doesn't look like anyone really knows.

have you heard of anyone getting in with a criminal record? (couple of juvenile mistakes)...

have you heard of anyone getting in with a criminal record? (couple of juvenile mistakes)...

You have to undergo a background check and qualify for a security clearance - I believe at secret level. I don't know what criminal offenses are completely disqualifying though.

I haven't actually met anyone that's been selected so I cannot say with certainty, but I do know that you have to report all law violations. I have no criminal record but I do have a couple of minor traffic violations that I've received over the years dating back to when I was 16 and they wanted all the details around these tickets. At MEPS they discuss the importance of disclosing law violations and with my interview with the doctor he stated that traffic violations are taken seriously and any more might have a negative impact on my application. He explained that as officers there is an expectation to be an exemplary role model. Your recruiter is the best person to discuss the weight of your juvenile record on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't actually met anyone that's been selected so I cannot say with certainty, but I do know that you have to report all law violations. I have no criminal record but I do have a couple of minor traffic violations that I've received over the years dating back to when I was 16 and they wanted all the details around these tickets. At MEPS they discuss the importance of disclosing law violations and with my interview with the doctor he stated that traffic violations are taken seriously and any more might have a negative impact on my application. He explained that as officers there is an expectation to be an exemplary role model. Your recruiter is the best person to discuss the weight of your juvenile record on your application.
The 1st and only traffic violation that I received was when I running behind schedule to meet up with my recruiter for the HPSP meeting. I thought it would have been in poor tast to be late so I was driving 20 miles over the speed limit on the highway. Turns out that my recruiter was running behind schedule and I received a $200 fine and dent on my perfect record for nothing.

Hi everyone! Last I heard the board postponed until November 1st. So we wouldn't get results prior to mid November is what I was told.

I'm pretty nervous and definitely don't feel competitive enough. I started the application process in June so I came in a little late to the game and rushed everything for the 2yr scholarship. I have a 3.5 GPA and lots of leadership and volunteering under my belt. My school requires it too. I was also told typically about 40 students apply and that 20 scholarships are available (I believe it's for a mix of 1yr and 2yr). I don't think I was this nervous applying for pharmacy school but the odds were much better then lol. It sounds like more than 40 applied based on what everyone here has been saying so good luck to everyone and fingers crossed!

Hi everyone! Last I heard the board postponed until November 1st. So we wouldn't get results prior to mid November is what I was told.

I'm pretty nervous and definitely don't feel competitive enough. I started the application process in June so I came in a little late to the game and rushed everything for the 2yr scholarship. I have a 3.5 GPA and lots of leadership and volunteering under my belt. My school requires it too. I was also told typically about 40 students apply and that 20 scholarships are available (I believe it's for a mix of 1yr and 2yr). I don't think I was this nervous applying for pharmacy school but the odds were much better then lol. It sounds like more than 40 applied based on what everyone here has been saying so good luck to everyone and fingers crossed!

Why do you say you don't feel competitive? Your GPA and leadership sound competitive. I was told leadership weighs heavy on the app. While the odds of HPSP aren't quite as good as pharmacy school apps, they aren't terrible. We're dealing with 1/2 to 1/4 of people applied will be selected. I'm just surprised that out of the ~63,000 pharmacy students in the US, only 40-80 apply for HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)

at least you don't have a record. I'm praying for a miracle

Well I was DQ'd because of a few passed kidney stones I had 3-8yr ago. I'm trying to get a waiver because the denial is reading as if I had like 15 stones instead of 3....but yeah.

Why do you say you don't feel competitive? Your GPA and leadership sound competitive. I was told leadership weighs heavy on the app. While the odds of HPSP aren't quite as good as pharmacy school apps, they aren't terrible. We're dealing with 1/2 to 1/4 of people applied will be selected. I'm just surprised that out of the ~63,000 pharmacy students in the US, only 40-80 apply for HPSP.

My ranking at school is not competitive. I'm ranked 78/124 and that was part of the application. I also just know the odds suck and I am being quite pessimistic about it. I also had a really short amount of time to work on this application. like I had a week to answer the questions and I don't feel like I was able to convey myself very well. I'm just nervous. I really hope we find out in November and don't have to wait longer like last year did!

at least you don't have a record. I'm praying for a miracle

Fingers crossed for you! Good luck! I think the fact that this was all juvenile and you're clearly showing that you want to be a helpful member of society. It's important to note and I think it speaks highly of you and I hope the board recognizes that!

Well I was DQ'd because of a few passed kidney stones I had 3-8yr ago. I'm trying to get a waiver because the denial is reading as if I had like 15 stones instead of 3....but yeah.

I had a lot of my own issues with MEPS and barely made the cutoff date myself. Actually I didn't, but the fact that the board delayed helped me get my application in on time. I hope the waiver works out! Just keep calling and bugging them about it. It took me 3 months to get a cardio appointment and it wouldn't have happened if I didn't keep harassing my recruiter

My ranking at school is not competitive. I'm ranked 78/124 and that was part of the application. I also just know the odds suck and I am being quite pessimistic about it. I also had a really short amount of time to work on this application. like I had a week to answer the questions and I don't feel like I was able to convey myself very well. I'm just nervous. I really hope we find out in November and don't have to wait longer like last year did!

That's interesting, I guess the 78/124 gives your 3.5 GPA a reference. That's actually pretty crazy that over half you class has above a 3.5. Out of curiosity, are your school's NAPLEX pass rates good? I had slightly less than a 3.5, but I don't recall the app asking for my class ranking (I didn't provide it, nor do I even know it).

I had a lot of my own issues with MEPS and barely made the cutoff date myself. Actually I didn't, but the fact that the board delayed helped me get my application in on time. I hope the waiver works out! Just keep calling and bugging them about it. It took me 3 months to get a cardio appointment and it wouldn't have happened if I didn't keep harassing my recruiter

Yeah my app is in it was just going to be contingent on a passing MEPS eval. I still haven't been. My stuff got denied and sent to SG. Then I got DQd through the SG. The thing is, they read the docs wrong so I'm trying to appeal it.

Yeah my app is in it was just going to be contingent on a passing MEPS eval. I still haven't been. My stuff got denied and sent to SG. Then I got DQd through the SG. The thing is, they read the docs wrong so I'm trying to appeal it.

I also got DQ'd (since been waived) due to a wrong code entered for a medical condition. Seems like they need a pharmacist to double check these documents for submitting them!

That's interesting, I guess the 78/124 gives your 3.5 GPA a reference. That's actually pretty crazy that over half you class has above a 3.5. Out of curiosity, are your school's NAPLEX pass rates good? I had slightly less than a 3.5, but I don't recall the app asking for my class ranking (I didn't provide it, nor do I even know it).

It was on the paperwork my school had to fill out. Our NAPLEX pass rates used to be some of the best. We were ranked number one and then in the top five for awhile, but the last two years they dropped significantly. Still at national average though. My class is strange apparently. About 40% are getting A's on all of the exams while 20% are completely failing. The rest are in the middle somewhere. I actually got a C my first semester because I was working 40 hrs a week due to my hospital changing software and everyone leaving. I ended up failing a test and was 1 point shy of a B. So that's mostly where I am concerned.

its weird, I have a juvenile record but my recruiter says i don't need moral waivers...

I was initially DQ too. Just get that waiver and reapply if need be.

You must really want to be in the AF after they told you they don't want you. More power to you. You may want to also apply for Navy and Army HPSP. You don't have to say yes if you're accepted, but apply. The Army, Navy, and AF have dual spouse programs that will geolocate you into similar locations. I'm an Army guy and have zero regrets joining the Army. At the end of the day, all three services are the same when it comes to healthcare. Also, the AF has some very bad locations too in addition to some awesome locations. All three services have that. I wouldn't make base locations as part of your reasons for applying AF only.

You must really want to be in the AF after they told you they don't want you. More power to you. You may want to also apply for Navy and Army HPSP. You don't have to say yes if you're accepted, but apply. The Army, Navy, and AF have dual spouse programs that will geolocate you into similar locations. I'm an Army guy and have zero regrets joining the Army. At the end of the day, all three services are the same when it comes to healthcare. Also, the AF has some very bad locations too in addition to some awesome locations. All three services have that. I wouldn't make base locations as part of your reasons for applying AF only.

I did really want to join. I'm a bit SOL now. I wanted AF due to the scholarship and my husband being AF. Army won't do anything until graduation (talked to a recruiter already) so I'm checking with Navy. Duty station isn't really a consideration. My husband is AF and we've only been to one base in 6yrs, the others Army.

@drbaker2020 I can't believe you still haven't even heard back from them yet if you're even eligible. I expected a bit more organization and coordination with the whole process.

Now that it's the end of the month, any word on a timeline for the selection release? At this point are we thinking mid November?

@drbaker2020 I can't believe you still haven't even heard back from them yet if you're even eligible. I expected a bit more organization and coordination with the whole process.

Now that it's the end of the month, any word on a timeline for the selection release? At this point are we thinking mid November?

I just heard back last week. I'm permanently DQ'd because a Hx of kidney stones...so there's that.

I'm sorry to hear that. Does that mean army HPSP is out of the question to?

Army said they didn't have anything since I didn't ROTC. It is very possible military is out of the question since MEPS is not branch specific.

Army said they didn't have anything since I didn't ROTC. It is very possible military is out of the question since MEPS is not branch specific.

unfortunately I think you may be correct due to MEPS not being branch specific. You can always find a civilian job near your husband's base I suppose. Or maybe even a pharmacist job on post? I'm not sure how civilian contractors in health facilities works.

unfortunately I think you may be correct due to MEPS not being branch specific. You can always find a civilian job near your husband's base I suppose. Or maybe even a pharmacist job on post? I'm not sure how civilian contractors in health facilities works.

I don't think I can do it civilian. It's low pay without all the benefits like BAH and whatnot. I talked to one place that hired at GS9 which is pretty bad for a pharmacist.

I was told today by my recruiter that we should know by Nov. 9th.

I was told today by my recruiter that we should know by Nov. 9th.
For what it's worth I was told that a board member who's overseas is having technical issues accessing the system and there's no updated timeframe

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

For what it's worth I was told that a board member who's overseas is having technical issues accessing the system and there's no updated timeframe

My recruiter did say that there “a little issue with a board member.” I didn’t ask for him to elaborate, but maybe that is the cause.
I just cannot take all this suspense in the middle of studying for VTE.

I did really want to join. I'm a bit SOL now. I wanted AF due to the scholarship and my husband being AF. Army won't do anything until graduation (talked to a recruiter already) so I'm checking with Navy. Duty station isn't really a consideration. My husband is AF and we've only been to one base in 6yrs, the others Army.

I'm reasonably certain that is not true. The Army has an HPSP program. It wouldn't surprise me if most Army recruiters don't know about it. May want to ask a different recruiter.

I'm reasonably certain that is not true. The Army has an HPSP program. It wouldn't surprise me if most Army recruiters don't know about it. May want to ask a different recruiter.

Yeah a good recruiter is hard to find. Know any in Texas

I don't think I can do it civilian. It's low pay without all the benefits like BAH and whatnot. I talked to one place that hired at GS9 which is pretty bad for a pharmacist.

That's an exception, not the norm. Most, if not all, hire at GS-11. The GS-9 deal is meant for residents. Also keep in mind, locality pay is not part of the pay table and can be huge bonuses. Like seriously huge.

Yeah a good recruiter is hard to find. Know any in Texas

according to dodi 6130.03, kidney stones is not a disqualifyer. You may want to follow up with your af recruiter. If they are unhelpful, ask and work with the name in charge of the recruiter. Many times, the recruiter just didn't know. good luck

according to dodi 6130.03, kidney stones is not a disqualifyer. You may want to follow up with your af recruiter. If they are unhelpful, ask and work with the name in charge of the recruiter. Many times, the recruiter just didn't know. good luck

Yeah it is. I had a bilateral renal caliculi and urolithiasis that required cystoscopy.

It's under urinary system.

That's interesting, I was also told that the Army wouldn't do anything until I graduated. It's one of the main reasons I settled on applying for the Air Force

That's interesting, I was also told that the Army wouldn't do anything until I graduated. It's one of the main reasons I settled on applying for the Air Force

Yeah I heard army only takes direct accession but you can start contact 6mo prior to graduation and navy takes direct accession after 6mo of experience post grad. They have a hscp but only 2-3yr ones and you don't get a scholarship, only pay.

I just got an email saying that they're still waiting for results and there's no tentative date set.

Sounds like this is the first year that they're virtually evaluating applications in the evaluators' own free time which is different from past years when they evaluated all applications at once. I wonder if this will delay results even more than it has in the past.

Last edited: