Airforce HPSP Pharmacy 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will2Win

Reaction score
Has anyone applied for this year's HPSP?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a P3? What school?

P4, I'm kicking myself for not really looking into military pharmacy scholarships earlier. Not too sure I want to say the school but it's a relatively new/small one in the Northeast.

Hey everyone, saw your post on the 2017 thread. I'm a P3 and applied to the 2 year scholarship. My recruiter said that as long as I hear back if I am selected or not before the last day of the semester, then HPSP will cover my fall tuition as well as spring and P4 year. Hopefully we hear back soonish.

Any interesting information to share that anyone has heard from this year's HPSP? Looks like last year applicants didn't find out until end of December but I've been told word is supposed to be sent out around early November. It was a very looong and delayed process to go to MEPS and get an interview this summer so I'm not totally optimistic on when we'll get the final word in a timely manner. I also heard there are only 16 2-year spots this year which does not seem like a lot at all. Any idea how many applicants there are?

Best of luck to you all.

Hey I haven't heard anything about the number of spots or applicants but when I was talking to a Navy recruiter she said that they offered single-digit numbers of scholarships so I guess it could be worse...

I was told that the board is meeting this month (supposed to start the 12th) and we'd likely hear back sometime in October (~2nd week) but I'm trying to keep expectations in check with how delayed results were last year. Sorry to hear bout your experience with MEPS and scheduling an interview, I didn't have too much of a problem getting either in a decent time frame.

I was told 20 spots (but I don't know if that is a mix of 1 and 2 year spots). I too was told that the selection should take place in October like it was in 2016 but last year was delayed.

I still haven't been cleared to go to MEPS because of paperwork issues and an error on the MEPS end.

@pharm2table I was told I could only apply for the 1 year as a P3 because it won't backdate. I have been ran around a lot though so I'm not sure if that is true.

Of course I don't know for sure but if I can apply for a 1-year as a P4 I don't see why a P3 couldn't apply for a 2-year. You would only get the scholarship/stipend for half the time but I don't see why you couldn't still apply.

Don't you need to go to MEPS before you can interview and have your application submitted?

I found out that the recruiter sent in my package as a 2-year after all. That was news to me. I have already interviewed and was told that since MEPS has been really slow (I've been working on this for about a year), I can go ahead and submit with a contingency of passing MEPS. I'm hoping to hear any day about my date. The last paperwork submitted to CMO was about 2 months ago and was in response to incorrect medical records.

When should a P2 start applying?

As far as I know, the board only meets once per year so I would say start talking to a recruiter now and plan on going through the application process in the spring of P2 year for a 2-year scholarship. I'm assuming that's pretty close to what the other applicants in this thread did. I think the only reason to wait would be if you're not completely sure it's something you'd want to do.

@drbaker2020 yeah MEPS was a longgg day. Not to startle you but they really look for anyway to disqualify you. I almost got disqualified for 3 different (and pretty minor) reasons but managed to talk my way through it and provide additional medical records to prove I'm in good health.

I've been talking to my recruiter and working towards this goal of applying for HPSP for the past 4 years now, so when I heard the rumor that P3s weren't eligible for 2 year scholarships, I was very shocked, because I was very able and willing to put in the same application a year prior. My recruiter assured me that P3's were eligible and our fall semester bill would be covered as long as the selection decisions are released before the last day of classes (mid-December). Fingers crossed for all us P3's!

@militarypharmd , WorthlessOxygen is correct with that timeline. Build your resume as much as possible with grades and extra-curricular leadership/community service. Establish a relationship with your recruiter middle of the winter and start the slow application process around March/April. Ask a lot of questions, cause it isn't for everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not too personal, where did you all ended up on the GPA spectrum/what have you heard the average GPA was? At first I heard 3.5, then that changed to 3.0. My recruiter said he had a student selected with a 3.2 somewhat recently. Not that it matters at this point, but just curious.

@drbaker2020 yeah MEPS was a longgg day. Not to startle you but they really look for anyway to disqualify you. I almost got disqualified for 3 different (and pretty minor) reasons but managed to talk my way through it and provide additional medical records to prove I'm in good health.

I've been talking to my recruiter and working towards this goal of applying for HPSP for the past 4 years now, so when I heard the rumor that P3s weren't eligible for 2 year scholarships, I was very shocked, because I was very able and willing to put in the same application a year prior. My recruiter assured me that P3's were eligible and our fall semester bill would be covered as long as the selection decisions are released before the last day of classes (mid-December). Fingers crossed for all us P3's!

@militarypharmd , WorthlessOxygen is correct with that timeline. Build your resume as much as possible with grades and extra-curricular leadership/community service. Establish a relationship with your recruiter middle of the winter and start the slow application process around March/April. Ask a lot of questions, cause it isn't for everyone

I am familiar with MEPS as my husband is AD but thank you for the heads up! I think it is taking so long because I am knocking out all paperwork beforehand. My GPA is a 3.6.

I am familiar with MEPS as my husband is AD but thank you for the heads up! I think it is taking so long because I am knocking out all paperwork beforehand. My GPA is a 3.6.
Oh very nice. I came in just shy of a 3.5 for this application. Under my goal unfortunately but we'll see how it ends up

Last edited:
I'm a P3 that applied for the 2-year scholarship. They said that once the results are out, you'll be "immediately" reimbursed for the fall tuition if you're accepted along with stipend. My recruiter told me 20 HPSP scholarships available to pharmD students this year, so I'm assuming that that includes both 1 and 2 year scholarships?

He also mentioned that the selection results are tentatively scheduled to be released by Friday, 12 Oct. That seems a little ambitious on timing, but we'll see!

I'm a P3 that applied for the 2-year scholarship. They said that once the results are out, you'll be "immediately" reimbursed for the fall tuition if you're accepted along with stipend. My recruiter told me 20 HPSP scholarships available to pharmD students this year, so I'm assuming that that includes both 1 and 2 year scholarships?

He also mentioned that the selection results are tentatively scheduled to be released by Friday, 12 Oct. That seems a little ambitious on timing, but we'll see!

When you say immediate reimbursement along with stipend, are you inferring that you will get back payed for the monthly stiped since the beginning of the semester? I just assumed stipend starts when you get selected, but that would be great if they back pay that too.
20 sounds about right for both scholarship options. I've heard averages of 80 applicants apply.

10/12 would be AWESOME, but I can't get my hopes up.

I still have a little confusion on pay if anyone wants to clarify. I have the base (O3), BAH, BAS down, but still unsure on specialty pay or bonus. Are there service requirements for taking them, and does anyone know an approximate number?

When you say immediate reimbursement along with stipend, are you inferring that you will get back payed for the monthly stiped since the beginning of the semester? I just assumed stipend starts when you get selected, but that would be great if they back pay that too.
20 sounds about right for both scholarship options. I've heard averages of 80 applicants apply.

10/12 would be AWESOME, but I can't get my hopes up.

I still have a little confusion on pay if anyone wants to clarify. I have the base (O3), BAH, BAS down, but still unsure on specialty pay or bonus. Are there service requirements for taking them, and does anyone know an approximate number?

I just wanted to clarify that you are talking about allowances/pay AFTER COT (O3 pay/BAH/BAS isn't until after commissioning). As far as specialty/ bonus, you cannot receive those until the scholarship commitment is met (2yrs for every 1yr of the scholarship). If I remember right, you cannot get loan repayment during that time but can get the GI bill. Bonuses are contract-dependent, but I am not sure about specialty pay. Usually longer commitments = larger bonuses. The board certification bonuses can be honored though.

--I had to edit my terrible grammar--

FY18 had an accession bonus of $30,000 for a 4 year contract. That wouldn't apply to people entering on scholarship. The resigning bonus was $15,000 per commitment year. Board Certifications are $6,000 per year. These are all last year's numbers but it should give you an idea.

Last edited:

The numbers that drbaker said above are what I was told as well. I believe that you can take board certification pay while still in your scholarship commitment but anything else would be either ineligible or add service time on top of your scholarship commitment.

The numbers that drbaker said above are what I was told as well. I believe that you can take board certification pay while still in your scholarship commitment but anything else would be either ineligible or add service time on top of your scholarship commitment.

The $6k/yr Board cert is to pay for CE's? Board cert pay is a new concept to me.

The $6k/yr Board cert is to pay for CE's? Board cert pay is a new concept to me.

I am referring to the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS certifications). I would post the link but the cite is blocking me. I think I need another post like or something. The list of specialties are on the bpsweb website under bps-specialties

Regarding the CEs, the military pays for that. I know there are conferences that pharmacists get sent to for CE. I don't know the ins and outs of that, but the LtCol that interviewed me mentioned that.

Regarding the CEs, the military pays for that. I know there are conferences that pharmacists get sent to for CE. I don't know the ins and outs of that, but the LtCol that interviewed me mentioned that.

Ok gotcha, so in the case you want to do residency. I do want to do residency, just not sure yet if my preference is to do it in the AF or as a civilian. I was talking on the 2017 thread about it and the additional service requirements associated with PGY1 and PGY2.

As @WorthlessOxygen stated, how would board certification pay work while still in the scholarship commitment, if the additional pay is intended for those pursuing residency, which would require additional service time?

Ok gotcha, so in the case you want to do residency. I do want to do residency, just not sure yet if my preference is to do it in the AF or as a civilian. I was talking on the 2017 thread about it and the additional service requirements associated with PGY1 and PGY2.

As @WorthlessOxygen stated, how would board certification pay work while still in the scholarship commitment, if the additional pay is intended for those pursuing residency, which would require additional service time?

I mean technically you don't have to be in residency to get a BPS certification but many require so many hours practicing that field so it is more probable (plus things like nuclear pharm and compounding isn't limited to residency).

Air Force only has PGY1 and it is EXTREMELY competitive. I have an acquaintance that has been trying to get selected for it (and yes there are additional service requirements). I have the pleasure of having an instructor at my school that is a retired LtCol that helped with one of the residency sites. I feel like there is only one, maybe two sites that do the PGY1 but I am not sure on that.

BPS pay does not require additional service time. Think of it as an additional skill that you are being paid for. The reason that the HPSP, residency, bonuses, GI, etc require an additional serve commitment is because the military is giving you an incentive to join, a trade for commitment. The BPS is earned from the civilian side. You do the requirements and take the exam to earn this certification as an extension of your pharmacy license from the Board of Pharmacy. The military is not providing that for you and thus you don't have a service commitment attached. Now it is a desirable quality to have a BPS so the military will pay you essentially a 'board certification bonus' if you decide to pursue it.

I hope that makes sense. This is how I understand it so if someone has information otherwise, please let me know.

I heard that there were only 10 spots for the two year scholarship, so odds are looking better now. LOL
Hey everyone, saw your post on the 2017 thread. I'm a P3 and applied to the 2 year scholarship. My recruiter said that as long as I hear back if I am selected or not before the last day of the semester, then HPSP will cover my fall tuition as well as spring and P4 year. Hopefully we hear back soonish.

Any interesting information to share that anyone has heard from this year's HPSP? Looks like last year applicants didn't find out until end of December but I've been told word is supposed to be sent out around early November. It was a very looong and delayed process to go to MEPS and get an interview this summer so I'm not totally optimistic on when we'll get the final word in a timely manner. I also heard there are only 16 2-year spots this year which does not seem like a lot at all. Any idea how many applicants there are?

Best of luck to you all.

I was told 20 spots (but I don't know if that is a mix of 1 and 2 year spots). I too was told that the selection should take place in October like it was in 2016 but last year was delayed.

I still haven't been cleared to go to MEPS because of paperwork issues and an error on the MEPS end.

@pharm2table I was told I could only apply for the 1 year as a P3 because it won't backdate. I have been ran around a lot though so I'm not sure if that is true.[
When should a P2 start applying?
Immediately. I started my application that was DUE by Mid September back in early May. My packet almost didn't get submitted in time due to MEPS initially disqualifying me for having a stiff toe that prevented me from doing a simple exercise (smh) and my MEPs date was postponed because I made a small error on my physical form (accidentally circled no for medication, when I clearly listed my med list).
Start getting your letters of recommendation in early and write your personal statement. Believe me, delays can occur for reasons outside of your control and you don't want to miss a great opportunity over the military's slow processing time.

^ so right about MEPS. For the record, I STILL haven't been given the all-clear to go to MEPS. I submitted everything back in January. They kept coming back with stuff throughout the summer. This last correspondence was an error in the record...that was a month ago and I haven't heard.

Fortunately, my recruiter got my package together anyway and if I do receive the scholarship before MEPS, then it would be contingent on me actually getting cleared. How awful would it be if I got it and then got DQ'd I'm so nervous and waiting every day to hear from MEPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard that there were only 10 spots for the two year scholarship, so odds are looking better now. LOL

lol Yeah, your odds just doubled. Either way, it makes me super anxious even if there are 20 scholarships. They are tough odds to beat

lol Yeah, your odds just doubled. Either way, it makes me super anxious even if there are 20 scholarships. They are tough odds to beat

Well, I think it was pretty competitive to get into pharmacy school, but somehow we all got a spot. I heard that the pharmacy HPSP isn't super well know and there are around 50 applicants. Not exactly mission impossible.

Well, I think it was pretty competitive to get into pharmacy school, but somehow we all got a spot. I heard that the pharmacy HPSP isn't super well know and there are around 50 applicants. Not exactly mission impossible.

Very true. The closest HPSP recruiter to my school is 200 miles away. I also find it amusing that we all have reported hearing different numbers for many of the details surrounding the program.

Very true. The closest HPSP recruiter to my school is 200 miles away. I also find it amusing that we all have reported hearing different numbers for many of the details surrounding the program.
I am keeping my fingers crossed. Everyone almost everyone who posted on SDN for last years Pharmacy HPSP was selected. Sound like a good omen to me.

I’m not going to get too involved in this military hopefuls thread. I direct commissioned a decade ago, not HPSP, so much of my info would be irrelevant or out of date.

Except to say - Board Certification Pay does come with a service obligation of one year per year of pay, served in concurrence with the pay year. Meaning, if you sign a contract in May for BCP, you Must agree to serve through at least April of the next year. You can’t just stop it in the middle of the year and get out whenever. A small difference from ‘no obligation’, but a difference all the same.

You cannot take sign on bonus or retention bonus (previously called Pharmacy Officer Specialty Pay) until your HPSP service obligation has been completed.

The services will not necessarily pay for CEs - they will offer many, but it is command specific. You don’t always get to go to a conference every year or even every other or third year - it depends on the command, leadership, funding, etc.

Residency (which is also not even close to guaranteed) does come with a service obligation, which varies by service.

Good luck. See you in the fleet.

Reactions: 2 users
My recruiter said that the board still hasn't met and is being delayed.

I can't say I'm surprised with what happened last year. Did you hear anything about when they're expected to meet now?

Reaaaaaally hoping that we aren't waiting until December. Currently trying to schedule APPEs and I have 2 completely different scenario rotation schedules based on whether HPSP works out (no residency/midyear) or no HPSP (midyear+PGY1 application). Getting down to some deadlines here.

Unfortunately, the military works on their own time. It's called 'hurry up and wait' for a reason. I agree with you though.

My recruiter reached out to me on Thursday and said that the results of the board selection will come out on Monday, October 8th. I did feel pretty skeptical of the news, since last year they did not release the results until December.

My recruiter reached out to me on Thursday and said that the results of the board selection will come out on Monday, October 8th. I did feel pretty skeptical of the news, since last year they did not release the results until December.

Just so you’re prepared, this is extremely unlikely as Monday is a federal holiday (Columbus Day). Maybe Tuesday?

Just so you’re prepared, this is extremely unlikely as Monday is a federal holiday (Columbus Day). Maybe Tuesday?
I think we will be lucky to find out the results by the end of this month, but who knows? Maybe things will be different this year.

Hopefully before Thanksgiving break at least! I'll contact my recruiter too after Oct 12th passes and see if he's heard any updates (if results aren't out by then)

Do all you applicants mind posting your stats? I’m a p2 and I am applying for the 2 yr. I have a 3.1 overall gpa but I have a 3.8 Pharmacy gpa. I have good LOR too. I just don’t know if I’m ‘competitive’

I wouldn't worry too much about numerical stats. Do you mean overall gpa as in pharmacy school + undergrad GPA?

Either way, GPA only matters to a certain degree based on what school you attend along with some other factors. The application also considers your recruiter's opinion of you, the interview, leadership experience, and extracurricular activities, and your readiness to join the AF as well. If you really want to apply and take a chance at it, you should! The good thing about the 2 year scholarship is that if you don't get it, you can reapply for the one year scholarship or you'll also have plenty of time to apply for residencies if that's another option you're interested in.

I wouldn't worry too much about numerical stats. Do you mean overall gpa as in pharmacy school + undergrad GPA?

Either way, GPA only matters to a certain degree based on what school you attend along with some other factors. The application also considers your recruiter's opinion of you, the interview, leadership experience, and extracurricular activities, and your readiness to join the AF as well. If you really want to apply and take a chance at it, you should! The good thing about the 2 year scholarship is that if you don't get it, you can reapply for the one year scholarship or you'll also have plenty of time to apply for residencies if that's another option you're interested in.

Yes, 3.1 undergrad and grad school combined.

It's a good thing that your pharmacy school GPA is higher. Also if you're able to explain/justify the differences between the GPA on your application, even better. Just talk to your recruiter about the scholarship and keep in mind that there are a lot of other factors that go into students getting these scholarships!

why did you guys choose this scholarship over the navy hscp one?

For me it was a combination of several things. Almost everyone that I had talked to about military pharmacy was either current or retired Air Force, plus I like the base locations. I was leaning towards AF but still contacted a Navy and Air Force recruiter at the same time but the Navy recruiter was not very responsive after our initial couple emails so that basically made my decision for me.