Airforce dental scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey sup everybody,

i'm trying to find somebody whos using the airforce dental scholarship. it just seems like a very good deal, and you know for a fact you cant get sent to iraq or any other war zone, since the airforce doesnt even have bases in iraq! so i'm trying to find somebody who can give me an un-biased view of what life is like as a dentist in the airforce. thanks everybody

omar

Members don't see this ad.

omaralt said:
hey sup everybody,

i'm trying to find somebody whos using the airforce dental scholarship. it just seems like a very good deal, and you know for a fact you cant get sent to iraq or any other war zone, since the airforce doesnt even have bases in iraq! so i'm trying to find somebody who can give me an un-biased view of what life is like as a dentist in the airforce. thanks everybody

omar

call some USAF bases and ask to speak with some of the dentist' (not administration) that have been there for 1-3 years (new dentists). At my last base, many of the dentist did NOT like what was going on as the USAF was in the process of implementing "OPTIMIZATION" to the dental corps; ie...how much can you underman the dentist and support staff and still keep the clinic open.
Deals that seem to good to be true, usually are.

and although the USAF does not have bases in IRAQ, we do get deployed there and the surrounding countries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last I checked, neither the army, navy or marines have bases in Iraq.

delicatefade said:

hey guys, i really have no idea, thats why i'm, asking you guys. please, if you know anything let me know. is there a possibility of being transferred to a war zone with the airforce? from what i was told i can pretty much have my choice of any base i want to work at. if anybody knows anything please let me know. thanks

omar

omaralt said:
hey guys, i really have no idea, thats why i'm, asking you guys. please, if you know anything let me know. is there a possibility of being transferred to a war zone with the airforce? from what i was told i can pretty much have my choice of any base i want to work at. if anybody knows anything please let me know. thanks

omar

Sure, you can have your choice of bases: Prince Sultan Air Base or Incirlik. :p Seriously, you can be deployed anywhere the military says it needs you at any time. Don't believe it if someone tells you otherwise. The needs of the service come first and yours come a distant 2nd x 10^3. :smuggrin:

You will have some say in where you are stationed. But if the Air Force decides they need you elsewhere, that's where you will go. You always have the possibility of deployment overseas while in the military. Even to Iraq. Even in the Air Force.

omaralt said:

omar

Omar,

The best advice so far is to speak with some active duty Dentists. That is sound advice. I would try to get as many varied opinions as possible. I mean from people from various backgrounds, length of serivce, etc. The biggest thing is you have to ask yourself is: "Why do you want the scholarship and are you willing to put up with constraints and bs that come with it."

As far as deployments go, the services generally want someone who is fully trained in their specialty before turning them loose on the troops. So to be pulled out of dental school would be extremely rare. Once you are fully trained and get to your first duty assignment however, deployments are much more likely.

There's nothing more honorable than serving your country. If not you, than who? I hope this helps. Best of luck in your decision!

Omar,

Life in the AF as a dentist is getting more and more miserable. A close friend of mine works at a base that would normally need 13 dentists to handle the work load. THEY HAVE 4!!. You do the math. He's working 12-13 hour days, often skipping lunch and then finishing paperwork and other officer "assignments" on Saturday. And he's been deployed too. The USAF Dental Corps will suck the life out of you if you let them.

Like other wise posters have stated, talk with some AD dentists and you'll hear the real story. There are some pros, but not enough, IMHO to out weigh the cons.