Navy Health Professions Scholarship Program - Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm the HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program) and HSCP (Health Services Collegiate Program) coordinator for Arizona, but I would love to assist anyone who's interested.

I've attached the HPSP information guide as well as my flyer is below.

Let me help you get into med school debt free!
Health Professions Scholarship Program Flyer.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Health Professions Scholarship Programs.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 59
Hi Chief,

One thing it will be important for you to understand is how GME time plays into obligated service. FTIS, FTOS, NADDS, deferral, 1 year vs multi year fellowships, etc. The 1:1 thing on your flier simplifies a very complex topic.

G

Hi Chief,

One thing it will be important for you to understand is how GME time plays into obligated service. FTIS, FTOS, NADDS, deferral, 1 year vs multi year fellowships, etc. The 1:1 thing on your flier simplifies a very complex topic.

G
Good morning Sir!

I provide much deeper and specific topic information and guidance, that way the best educated decision can be made whether or not this is the proper route for someone.

For example in regards to obligated service;

along with BUMED Notice 1524;

Are you an HPSP interviewer, or part of one of the programs by chance?

Thanks in advance and Happy Monday!

Best,

-Chief

Welcome, Chief -

We're just a little cautious because every year or two a recruiter drops by the forum here and has No Idea Whatsoever how any of the service obligations work. They post with enthusiasm for a little while and then disappear after being corrected a dozen or so times.

It's a complex subject, as gastrapathy mentioned.

The truth is it's never really a 1:1 repayment since not all time on active duty counts. For example, there are different rules for how time spent in internship, residency, and fellowship affect payback vs additional incurred obligation. With more rules about concurrent vs consecutive obligations for HPSP/USUHS +/- residency +/- fellowship ... with GMO time mixed in.

To specifically address your flyer: "active duty for each year in the program" is factually incorrect even in the simplest case:
  • A four year HPSP recipient comes on active duty, completes an inservice internship on active duty (no payback credited), and serves four years as a GMO before resigning his commission and leaving the Navy. That is five years of active duty, for a four year HPSP contract.

A more common path might be
  • A four year HPSP recipient comes on active duty, completes an inservice internship on active duty (no payback credited), serves three years as a flight surgeon GMO, then completes a three year inservice residency, then must serve three additional years before the ADSO is fulfilled and he may resign his commission and leave the Navy. That is ten years of active duty, for a four year HPSP contract and a three year residency.
In short - the fact that time spent in graduate medical education (internship/residency/fellowship) does not count as time served, and the fact that some but not all GME incurs additional concurrent-to-HPSP/USUHS service obligations (residency/fellowship but not internship) means that the payback is never actually 1:1 as stated in the flyer.

These are not unusual edge cases, but the norm. It's never 1:1.

Reactions: 1 users