This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacyGirl21

Reaction score
Helloooo, I will be graduating with my bachelors in May and I just finished my pharm school application process! All that's left to do is choose a school. I was admitted to OSU, Temple, U Mich, and Albany. I am still waiting to hear back from Rutgers. Honestly, I think it has come down to Ohio and Michigan and I am kinda torn on which one to pick. Both of them are great rank-wise. I think I am leaning more towards Ohio because of the location (I would really like to spend my next four years in an urban city). Can anyone give me some input on how they compare facility-wise, curriculum-wise, I am also interested in pursuing residency after graduation so maybe residency-wise?

P.S.--> I would also love some opinions on Ann Arbor vs. Columbus with regards to food, stuff to do, night life, people, and FOOD lol. Keep in mind that COVID-19 has kept me from visiting anything anywhere so be as detailed as possible!

Thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

If your looking for details on specific schools and their cultural lifestyles, you'll be best served going to the Pharmacy School Specific Discussions sub-forum and either finding the schools listed or create a thread listing the school programs.

Now, if your asking how to generally consider pharmacy programs, then here is what you cross-check:

1) Regional Accreditation (None of this National Accreditation or Pending accreditation status)
2) Cost
3) NAPLEX pass rate

What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? A pharmacist.

These days unfortunately, the ranking of your program you attended means very little to many future employers. As for landing a residency, that is up to you based on multi-tasking activity positions, GPA, research - poster board presentations, and how well you interview.

Follow these guidelines and you'll make it through the minimal-threshold-educational-tunnel.

Full-time work upon graduation is another story.

Reactions: 2 users
Best option is don't go to pharmacy school. Second best option is whatever's cheapest.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If your looking for details on specific schools and their cultural lifestyles, you'll be best served going to the Pharmacy School Specific Discussions sub-forum and either finding the schools listed or create a thread listing the school programs.

Now, if your asking how to generally consider pharmacy programs, then here is what you cross-check:

1) Regional Accreditation (None of this National Accreditation or Pending accreditation status)
2) Cost
3) NAPLEX pass rate

What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? A pharmacist.

These days unfortunately, the ranking of your program you attended means very little to many future employers. As for landing a residency, that is up to you based on multi-tasking activity positions, GPA, research - poster board presentations, and how well you interview.

Follow these guidelines and you'll make it through the minimal-threshold-educational-tunnel.

Full-time work upon graduation is another story.
Oops I'll hop on over to the Pharmacy School Specific Discussions! Thanks for your input!

My home school was OSU and the only real factor I liked about about that school was its library. Opened 24/7 except weekends during weekdays and had a cafe downstairs. Basically I lived in the library and had access to food most of the time. It helps during studying for exams. However, it's a joint partnership with OHSU, so you gotta move to Portland after 2 years of pharmacy school. Portland would be a great place if you like urban areas, but it's noisy and always have ongoing construction.

I seen the pharmacy classroom up at OHSU in Portland; it's small, windowless, and I'm sure they use more than one classroom, but this was the one at the Collaborative Life Sciences building. Also, parking is ridiculously expensive in Portland, I pay around $6-8 for two hours on the street side and OHSU is even worse - that is, if you can even find parking. I heard it's a great place to network, but don't bet on it given the competitive nature here in Portland. My manager pharmacist once told me that she tried to help her staff pharmacist get into OHSU pharmacy, and on average they got 50 pharmacists apply for a single position. And most of the manager pharmacists I've worked with in Oregon come from Portland. This is coming from Salem and Albany - indicating that positions in the city is scarce or only given to the cream of the crop. However, Oregon is a nice place to settle as it's lush, beautiful, and the air is very clean. So that's my two cents about going to OSU and congrats on your admissions!

What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? UNEMPLOYED

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? UNEMPLOYED
What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? SUCKERS who got hustled bad

• Okay...
  • Haha

What do you call a student that graduated top of their class at the highest ranked institute and a student who graduated at the bottom of their class at the lowest ranked institute? SUCKERS who got hustled bad

Like I said, a pharmacist. The type is on you and the market.

How's the exit strategy going for y'all?

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be out of pharmacy well before it completely crashes and burns. Just watching the decline with a sort of amusement at this point. Time is my exit strategy....

Reactions: 1 user
My home school was OSU and the only real factor I liked about about that school was its library. Opened 24/7 except weekends during weekdays and had a cafe downstairs. Basically I lived in the library and had access to food most of the time. It helps during studying for exams. However, it's a joint partnership with OHSU, so you gotta move to Portland after 2 years of pharmacy school. Portland would be a great place if you like urban areas, but it's noisy and always have ongoing construction.

I seen the pharmacy classroom up at OHSU in Portland; it's small, windowless, and I'm sure they use more than one classroom, but this was the one at the Collaborative Life Sciences building. Also, parking is ridiculously expensive in Portland, I pay around $6-8 for two hours on the street side and OHSU is even worse - that is, if you can even find parking. I heard it's a great place to network, but don't bet on it given the competitive nature here in Portland. My manager pharmacist once told me that she tried to help her staff pharmacist get into OHSU pharmacy, and on average they got 50 pharmacists apply for a single position. And most of the manager pharmacists I've worked with in Oregon come from Portland. This is coming from Salem and Albany - indicating that positions in the city is scarce or only given to the cream of the crop. However, Oregon is a nice place to settle as it's lush, beautiful, and the air is very clean. So that's my two cents about going to OSU and congrats on your admissions!
I am pretty sure OP was referring to Ohio State University, not Oregon State University. OHSU encourages people to take public transit, hence the ridiculously cheap Trimet Annual Pass for less than 100 dollars.

Alright guys plssss dont roast me, I am just curious (and concerned for my future) cause I see these job saturation and unemployment comments a lot on this site. If these are true then how come schools that I am looking at like RU, Ohio State, Michigan, UMaryland, Albany, etc. advertise such a high employment after graduation rate (without accounting for those who go into fellowships and residencies).

• Dislike
Like I said, a pharmacist. The type is on you and the market.

How's the exit strategy going for y'all?
It'll take some time. The best way to survive a sinking Titanic is to spend some time coming up with a plan of escape and methodically executing on that plan, as opposed to running around wild in panic and doing the first thing you think of or see.

Alright guys plssss dont roast me, I am just curious (and concerned for my future) cause I see these job saturation and unemployment comments a lot on this site. If these are true then how come schools that I am looking at like RU, Ohio State, Michigan, UMaryland, Albany, etc. advertise such a high employment after graduation rate (without accounting for those who go into fellowships and residencies).
Because that's what "advertising" is. If 90% of your class is unemployed and you survey them on employment status then the unemployed ones are most likely not going to respond and the 10% that were actually employed will say that they have a job. So a school can claim to have a "100% employment rate" when in reality their statement should be "100% of 10% of the students who responded to our surveys are employed." Also, most schools advertise employment rates that INCLUDE residency/fellowship numbers, so any schools that reports employment numbers without residency/fellowship numbers are the exception rather than the norm.

The very nature of collecting/publishing pharmacy employment information is based on surveys your school sends out, not extracting data from a repository so this data is not objective. For example, if you got a job at CVS and you don't fill out your school survey saying that you work at CVS then they will never know that you worked there. It's not like employers feed that information to your SOP or that SOPs solicit pharmacy employers for data on their graduates.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wont try to speak on these specific programs, but typically when high employment is advertised, they take into account only the surveys put out by the graduating class (as mentioned) and do not account for the class as a whole. Also, without knowing who actually landed a residency, the program could easily account for the surveys not answered as students who are doing a residency (which is not only false, but residency is still considered employment so including it in the stats would actually help the program if the data was finalized). Another consideration is when was the survey's for each graduating class put out? 3 months after graduation? 6 months after graduation? a year after graduation? The numbers are skewed the longer you put a time-table in place.

Also, part-time / prn / floater positions that may not correlate to full-time hours or benefits is still considered employed. Another side notion to consider is that many students start out as grad interns and don't actually become licensed for some time after graduation (which correlates to wages that can be compared to techs).

I still advocate that if one prepares and is willing to accept (for the most part) financial adjustments and is not bound to one specific state or location, you have a better chance at obtaining some level of employment. For myself, I have the financial means to graduate in a couple of years debt free while having a steady stream of income. To each their own, but its good to be educated on what lays ahead. Even though the tone of users is a bit off concerning the job prospect of the profession, the problems currently being faced is indeed true and has been problematic for many people.

If you have time, I encourage you to look at the Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth it? Here's What You Need to Know as well as the Job Market sub-forum (ignoring the tone but reading the overall consensus) and see what regions and how new grads are fairing in the U.S. Consider also that SDN is a small sample of a population, but the correlation is there.

It'll take some time. The best way to survive a sinking Titanic is to spend some time coming up with a plan of escape and methodically executing on that plan, as opposed to running around wild in panic and doing the first thing you think of or see.
Ah yes..the Titanic....used to operate in the North Atlantic and esp. at night ...usually tired..it always crossed my mind "am I minutes from disaster and don't even realize it?" The way to survive this Titanic is 1. don't go aboard 2. If for some "reason" you do go aboard..count the lifeboats...

Ah yes..the Titanic....used to operate in the North Atlantic and esp. at night ...usually tired..it always crossed my mind "am I minutes from disaster and don't even realize it?" The way to survive this Titanic is 1. don't go aboard 2. If for some "reason" you do go aboard..count the lifeboats...
or:

3. position yourself closest to a lifeboat at all times while on deck so you can pivot in case of an emergency

4. be a woman, child or other VIP to have priority access to the lifeboats in case of emergency

5. Max out on life insurance before getting on board so that you'd have nothing to lose.

AND- they also do what many of the now bankrupt tech schools (offering impractical degrees in video game design, etc.) did. They're not lying. They may say 99.9% employment. BUT they don't necessarily mean "employed in pharmacy". An Uber driver or Starbuck's barista is STILL considered employed. That way they can inflate their stats and not "exactly" lie. This method has been used in higher education for years. That way you can say that your program in "underwater basket weaving" results in 95% employment. The sad part is some people believe it....

I've always said in pharmacy, after graduation you can either have the job you want or you can live where you want. (This is a generality, before everyone chimes in that this isn't the case for them). Then after putting in some work, I feel that you can have the job you want where you want.

Here are some of the issues I've seen in the short time that I've been a pharmacist, and some things to consider as you are looking to get into the field:
How much you take out in student loans should never exceed how much you'll make in your first year out of school. The number of pharmacy schools that fit this rule of thumb is dwindling. Going to a private pharmacy school would be the equivalent of taking out 100k in student loans to be an elementary school teacher. Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?
Pharmacists make a lot of money, and are paid hourly. Due to that, most pharmacists that I know really like the money and work over 40 hours per week. This eats into the creation of more jobs. If a pharmacist works 40 hours a week at one job, then works another 20 at another job that cuts down on the amount of full time work available. And of coarse any company would be happy to do this since you don't have to pay benefits to a prn employee. If they can take a full time job and split it into two prn positions that they don't have to pay benefits for? It's a no brainer!
Another thing to consider is how many pharmacists are in the specific state that you want to live in and how many pharmacists are being pumped out by the schools in that state? Say there's 6000 pharmacists in your state, and there's 250 new pharmacists graduating every year in your state. Do you really feel like there will be an increase of ~4-5% of pharmacists jobs, EVERY SINGLE YEAR? Be that between new jobs created or by retiring pharmacists (which again, pharmacists really like money so few retire early).
As for the constant pessimistic view of the pharmacy profession constantly spouted on this forum, I think there's a few reasons for that. If you actually choose to go this path, you'll be required to take multiple professional development courses in school. I always thought they were so stupid, but after reading some people on SDN I've realized why they're required lol. On top of that, it used to be that people with the worst attitudes wouldn't get fired because there was such a shortage of pharmacists. Well now there isn't, so you can't be a bad worker or bad with the patients/coworkers and still get that paycheck every two weeks. These people tend to be really vocal. Also take some time to lurk on some of the other forums on SDN, you'll see that a lot of the complaints you read on the pharmacy sub forums aren't exclusive to pharmacy.
One of the biggest things I want to warn you about though is that it really was extremely hard for me to get my first job after pharmacy school. I sent out somewhere in the range of 300 applications to get the job I currently have. I was able to get that coveted inpatient position out in BFE. With inpatient experience on my resume, I'm on easy street now though. I make really good money, and have gotten several offers since then. That being said, the time between graduation and starting my job I seriously questioned whether pharmacy was a good idea or not. Give me another 6 months to forget that whole experience and I'm sure I'll be telling everyone that it was a great decision haha.

Anyways, best of luck in your decision.

Uhh no they don't. Their employment rates are absolutely horrible:
For reference when I graduated a few years ago, my class had over 90% employment rate at time of graduation. Also for reference before this COVID crisis, the national unemployment rate was 3.6%. This means some of these schools' graduates are ~10x more likely to be unemployed than the average American despite having a doctorate degree. University of Michigan is the only one that still seems to be doing kind of okay although they don't have 2019 stats published yet. Can you please tell me where you are finding these "high employment" rates?

Last edited:

Pharmacy schools are basically used car salesmen. They lie in order to make money from you. Except in this case you will lose $200,000 vs $5,000 for a used car.

Do you know what kind of car you can buy with $200K? I already have several in mind...

• Haha

It’s because they lie. How else are they going to make money? By telling prospective students that there are no jobs?

Do you know what kind of car you can buy with $200K? I already have several in mind...

Cars are a waste of money. I go to work and come home then it sits in the garage. My 2009 Honda is still going strong, paid less than 10k cash for it.

I would favor UMICH due to the possibility of strong network in clinical and industry. They do have some dual degrees and fellowships which might give you options.