age at end of medical school

selenaharvard24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone out there. Suppose i start undergrad at 18, at what age would i be likely to finish medical school using the typical american system (pre med & med) i.e {without delays}.

All decent replies are kindly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you start when you're 18 you'll finish college by the time you're 21. You'll be applying your junior year when you're 20. Then you would be what, 24/25 when you finish the intitial training. After that it all depends on what happens and what you decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you start when you're 18 you'll finish college by the time you're 21. You'll be applying your junior year when you're 20. Then you would be what, 24/25 when you finish the intitial training. After that it all depends on what happens and what you decide.

Finishing med school at 24 is extremely rare.
The plurality of people finish at age 26. They finish college at 22 then do 4 yrs of med school. I think the average (not median) age at matriculation is 23.5 or so- making the average person in the US graduate med school at 27.5
I am in my last yr and will be 29 when I graduate as I and many of my classmates did graduate work or something else in between college and med school.

Did you want to know how close to death you'd be by the time you'd finish residency and a fellowship?

you said you're going to finish when you are 24, at what age did you start premed?

you said you're going to finish when you are 24, at what age did you start premed?
the state of washington has some sort of program in which you take college level courses during your last two years of school so essentially you graduate high school with two years under your belt. I'm not a part of it, but I think its awesome and I'm encouraging my cousins to take advantage of it.

Most people advocate for taking your time and having fun, less pressure, etc., but I think the public school system can be pretty whack, or at least was in my area, and the last two years is all about busy work, not anything more useful.

Also, in Utah, some schools graduate kids after the junior year. which is great too.

Last edited:
How the hell is 18+8 = 24?

How the hell is 18+8 = 24?

See this is why American public schools suck balls and get clowned by all the asian countries. For goodness sake they can't even add good ;) lol

Members don't see this ad :)
See this is why American public schools suck balls and get clowned by all the asian countries. For goodness sake they can't even add good ;) lol

It should be written as, "For goodness sake, they can't even add well." Or in your case, they can't even write well. That is why Asian schools suck balls and get clowned by American public schools. (Do you see what I did there? ;))

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm not putting down any countries' school system. I just found that statement ironic.

It should be written as, "For goodness sake, they can't even add well." Or in your case, they can't even write well. That is why Asian schools suck balls and get clowned by American public schools. (Do you see what I did there? ;))

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm not putting down any countries' school system. I just found that statement ironic.

I'm fairly sure that Ischemic was being facetious...:smack:

:roflcopter: :lol: :rofl:

Oh man, you high school kids are pure awesome. I should hang out here more often to get some quick laughs.

You can't even read good or do other stuff good too.

You guys are all cruel. As an Asian, I support American schools because of its fair system... However, both Asian and American systems have flaws as well as benefits. For example, in Korea, a student is allowed to keep applying to a college year after year. However, in the USA, you don't get as many chances to try and get into a college. (Korea gives unlimited attempts at the College Test. (ACT & SAT)) But then again, the American system is more honest but still has its flaws.

You can't even read good or do other stuff good too.

i'm not sure if you were referencing zoolander or not. if so, :thumbup:

You guys are all cruel. As an Asian, I support American schools because of its fair system... However, both Asian and American systems have flaws as well as benefits. For example, in Korea, a student is allowed to keep applying to a college year after year. However, in the USA, you don't get as many chances to try and get into a college. (Korea gives unlimited attempts at the College Test. (ACT & SAT)) But then again, the American system is more honest but still has its flaws.

You can take the SAT more than once. Most people do. And you can also apply as many times as you want to college after high school.

It's well by the way.

No **** dude, it's what we Americans call being facetious. Some of us were also quoting movies by the way. You might want to know that word before you take your SATs. You think we would be in medical school if we couldn't write good? *see I did it again there to prove a point*. Might also want to get acquainted with internet culture before you get flamed and run out of SDN pre-allo forums.

For the record, I know several doctors that commit really stupid spelling and grammar mistakes. You don't need to be an armchair intellectual to be a good doctor. :whistle:

And to be an armchair intellectual you don't have to be a good speller. Alas, to think that I used to be a state spelling bee champ... Auto-correct, grammar check, and spell check have utterly devastated my ability to write properly. That and not having taken a grammar class since high school.

When I started med school in 2006, they said the mean (or median, I forgot) matriculation age was 24. That would put the avg graduate at 28. That takes into account people who do MS, re-apply, took 5 years in college, had other careers b4 medicine, etc. But for people who go straight through, then it's 25/26 depending on if you graduated HS when you were 17 or 18.

The best thing to do IMO is go straight through, medicine takes long enough as it is. One mistake to avoid is holding off on applying in order to get into a 'top-tier' med school. Just get into whatever American med school you can, then as long as you score well on boards you'll get your specialty of choice.

i'll be 27 when I graduate med school, but I took a year out to live abroad and another ~year tied up in changing majors and chilling in my hometown after graduating college.

my mental age will probably stay at like 18 until i've been an attending for ~10 years though haha. i'm gonna live like a kid for as long as possible to make up for lost time. :laugh:

I think this is needed in this thread. Sarcasm is something worth learning. ;)
yo-dawg-why-so-serious.jpg

You shouldn't be nasty to him, it's pretty obvious Taechris lived a large portion of his life in a different country from the US (I've lived more years in Mexico than the US yet mexicans still think I just moved here because I look white).

I'm an avid movie goer fan and even I don't pick up most of the obscure quotes posted on SDN. Maybe it's because I've been too busy working as a doctor on the lowest level of the totem pole (and poorly paid too to boot) than go watch more movies nobody in the country I live in gives a damn about.

If you are as nasty to your patients on such a regular basis I assure you won't do very well economically if you practice medicine on your own. Patients prefer a competent enough doctor that's really nice to a Dr House. Your best bet for clinical medicine would be going for institutional medicine which is what I plan on doing for the time being (but mostly because the pay is good and not because I'm nasty to patients which I'm not).

For the record, I know several doctors that commit really stupid spelling and grammar mistakes. You don't need to be an armchair intellectual to be a good doctor. :whistle:

I don't know how they do it in Mexico but you deal with a lot of **** from attendings/residents here during training. If someone can't take a little nastiness they probably shouldn't be in medicine. Ever consider the fact that you treat your patients differently than other random people you may meet? Assuming you're not American, ever heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you?" Yeah that kinda applies to this situation.

Hey everyone out there. Suppose i start undergrad at 18, at what age would i be likely to finish medical school using the typical american system (pre med & med) i.e {without delays}.

4 years undergrad: 22
4 years med school: 26
4 years residency: 30

Now, I don't know why people accept taking 4yrs to get a BS. You can start knocking out college credits in you junior year of highschool, CLEP everything that can be CLEP'ed, and take a full class load during the summer instead of going home. That will save you 2 years.

Now, I don't know why people accept taking 4yrs to get a BS. You can start knocking out college credits in you junior year of highschool, CLEP everything that can be CLEP'ed, and take a full class load during the summer instead of going home. That will save you 2 years.

I think it's important for people to learn to have fun and enjoy themselves too. Don't just turn into a robot. Nobody likes people like that.

you'll also still have to have 4 years worth of EC's to be competitive. (from what I've heard.)

you'll also still have to have 4 years worth of EC's to be competitive. (from what I've heard.)

But you do those during school, so you wouldn't add that to your age..

Just wanted to share a fond memory:

I graduated ON my 31st b-day. We were lined up in our caps and gowns, in a hallway aside an auditorium, and the entire class sang Happy Birthday to me, just prior to the ceremony. Everyone in the waiting audience could hear...it was my greatest birthday ever!

But you do those during school, so you wouldn't add that to your age..

ya I mean you would have to cramp 4 years worth of EC's into the two years you are in college. (This was directed at Laboritorian's comment)

ya I mean you would have to cramp 4 years worth of EC's into the two years you are in college. (This was directed at Laboritorian's comment)

Ah, good point. Very true. You could probably do undergrad and ECs in 3 years but 2 years seems just silly. Enjoy your time in undergrad.

You don't need 4 years worth of ECs. After shadowing doctors maybe 4-5 times you pretty much got the gist of it. I don't know how people can shadow for hundreds of hours. There really aren't that many new things you can see after the first few initial visits. The only thing that you may need longevity on are things like research, jobs, and maybe volunteer activities that you really really are passionate about. After that everything else is touch and go. They just want to see you've done and considered other options.

You don't need 4 years worth of ECs. After shadowing doctors maybe 4-5 times you pretty much got the gist of it. I don't know how people can shadow for hundreds of hours. There really aren't that many new things you can see after the first few initial visits. The only thing that you may need longevity on are things like research, jobs, and maybe volunteer activities that you really really are passionate about. After that everything else is touch and go. They just want to see you've done and considered other options.

i would think that shadowing is far less important than "research, jobs, and maybe volunteer activities." this is what you need 4 years worth of.

i would think that shadowing is far less important than "research, jobs, and maybe volunteer activities." this is what you need 4 years worth of.

I do agree that having less jobs, research, ect is a disadvantage for younger applicants. However, you do not need four years of any activity to get into med school. I got in with something like 25 hours of clinical experience spread out over 3 months. Some people get in with no research, there is a very wide variability.

note: I recommend doing more than 25 hrs/3mo, looking back that was a risky/poor decision on my part.

I started college at 18 years old.

+5 years of college = 23 years old
+1 year of full time work = 24 years old
+2.5 years of postbacc classes = 26.5 years old
+0.5 years of serving tables and traveling = 27 years old.

Matriculated at 27 years old. Now a 28 year old second-year student.

At this rate I'm graduating med school at 31.

I do not count residency because even though I'm making $45,000/yr, it's a salary. Still, I will be picking the shortest residency possible and make the big bucks at 34 years old.

But, a day at a time.

Let me add that I'm about $210,000 in debt right now, including undergrad, my postbacc, and the loans I've taken out for first and second year. And I'm 28. Which means I have the choice of either making it all the way or becoming a crack *****.

The example of a true genius. I'm going to be 17/18 when I start :|

You know that's extremely unlikely, right? Med schools are a bit skiddish about young applicants as they often lack the maturity to be able to both handle the academic rigors and conduct themselves in a professional manner around colleagues and patients.

No **** dude, it's what we Americans call being facetious. Some of us were also quoting movies by the way. You might want to know that word before you take your SATs. You think we would be in medical school if we couldn't write good? *see I did it again there to prove a point*. Might also want to get acquainted with internet culture before you get flamed and run out of SDN pre-allo forums.

No.... I've been in the US for 9 years now... I just don't watch all those movies =.=

I started pre-med at age 15. I'm 16 & in my second year now.

I'm interested in dental school so If everything works out well, i'll be finished @ age 22 or 23.

When you are in high school you have all these ideas that everything has to be done by the time you are 25 since age 30 is super old when you are 18. For me I live a lot before going to medical school and didn't get my bachelor's in 4 yrs like most folks since I was married and worked full time.

Here is my timeline:

Undergrad: age 18-25
One year post bacc: age 29
second post bacc year: age 32
Medical school: age 33-37
Residency: age 37-40

Don't stress about how old you will be. Just take it one step at a time. It will happen when it needs to.

Shadowing is considered clinical experience and med schools actually want to see you have some involvement in medicine and at least KNOW something about the field before applying. SO in the grand scheme of applying to MEDICAL school, it's more important to have some CLINICAL experience than it would to have research or a job. It's also more important to have a story behind why you're doing an activity rather than doing it because "everybody else is doing it for 4 years, so I have to do it too."Makes you look like a cookie cutter premed rather than following a passion that makes you you.

Shadowing is considered clinical experience and med schools actually want to see you have some involvement in medicine and at least KNOW something about the field before applying. SO in the grand scheme of applying to MEDICAL school, it's more important to have some CLINICAL experience than it would to have research or a job. It's also more important to have a story behind why you're doing an activity rather than doing it because "everybody else is doing it for 4 years, so I have to do it too."Makes you look like a cookie cutter premed rather than following a passion that makes you you.

I was just saying that because it seems like most people have a max of 50 hours of shadowing when they apply as compared to working in a lab for a couple years, volunteering for 400+ hours, and/or working a job multiple days a week for multiple years. But ya, it is probably pretty important to show your passion and interest in clinical medicine.

Except that it probably won't. You'd have to apply to med school after one year of college in order for it to save you two years. You need the time to acquire enough ECs to have a good application.

There are some medicals schools out there that aren't huge fans of that.