After some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackc1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am not studying to be a vet, I study Commerce and Science (Pharmacology major).

I am not strictly after medical advice here, and I fully comprehend the risks involved in taking any potential course of action. I am mostly after a 'what now' kind of plan in relation to my dog.

My dog is a Jack Russel / Maltese ****zu / Australian Terrior who has had pancreatitis for a number of years (managed). She has recently become sick - vomiting yellow bile and experiencing diarrhoea. We have sought medical advice from a local vet, who ran some some blood tests and an X-ray.

The total cost of that treatment - consults, bloods and x-ray is ~$1400 and we are at a loss with regards on where to go next.

The vet recommends a $900 ultrasound, however it's hard to get a grasp on what the ultrasound might show (e.g. likelihood that the ultrasound reveals something manageable vs. non-manageable).

In cases like this, where there is significant financial burden to uncover a potentially non-treatable condition - what is the course of action most appropriate? Just to be clear, I'm posting on behalf of my mother (who pays the bills) and is at a loss for what to do next. I guess I am after a sort of cost benefit analysis from your perspective (what would you do?).

I thought it would be good to get some advice from an impartial audience (in the sense that you have no financial gain at hand - I think my mother would appreciate an 'unbiased' view).

I have uploaded the recent bloods (all personal/irrelevant information edited out, of course) which should contain all relevant information.

According to the vet, the x-rays came up clear - no problems.

So if you were in this situation, what would be your preferred course of action?

Images are here:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am not studying to be a vet, I study Commerce and Science (Pharmacology major).

I am not strictly after medical advice here, and I fully comprehend the risks involved in taking any potential course of action. I am mostly after a 'what now' kind of plan in relation to my dog.

My dog is a Jack Russel / Maltese ****zu / Australian Terrior who has had pancreatitis for a number of years (managed). She has recently become sick - vomiting yellow bile and experiencing diarrhoea. We have sought medical advice from a local vet, who ran some some blood tests and an X-ray.

The total cost of that treatment - consults, bloods and x-ray is ~$1400 and we are at a loss with regards on where to go next.

The vet recommends a $900 ultrasound, however it's hard to get a grasp on what the ultrasound might show (e.g. likelihood that the ultrasound reveals something manageable vs. non-manageable).

In cases like this, where there is significant financial burden to uncover a potentially non-treatable condition - what is the course of action most appropriate? Just to be clear, I'm posting on behalf of my mother (who pays the bills) and is at a loss for what to do next. I guess I am after a sort of cost benefit analysis from your perspective (what would you do?).

I thought it would be good to get some advice from an impartial audience (in the sense that you have no financial gain at hand - I think my mother would appreciate an 'unbiased' view).

I have uploaded the recent bloods (all personal/irrelevant information edited out, of course) which should contain all relevant information.

According to the vet, the x-rays came up clear - no problems.

So if you were in this situation, what would be your preferred course of action?

Images are here:

3 things:

1. this thread is toast - you cant ask for medical advice here.

2. you need to have this conversation with your vet; he/she can explain the benefits of the test they're recommending and you can voice your concerns about the costs etc.

3. your dogs hyperglobulinemia (elevated globulins on the chemistry profile) 100% require further work up. you cant ignore this.

Hi,

According to the terms of service of SDN we can not give medical advice. I would encourage you to talk to the vet you have been working with and ask them these questions. If you are not comfortable with the answers or just want an another perspective I encourage seeking a second opinion--either another local vet or a referal hospital if one is available.
Good luck with your pup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Most of the people here are students and (no offense guys) either not qualified or licensed to give medical advice. And those of us who ARE graduates need to have a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship in order to give medical advice on any case, which usually involves either directly observing and evaluating the patient or acting as a licensed consultant. The line between medical advice and "what would you do?" is just too vague.

The ONLY thing I will comment on in this entire case is what dvm (and the report) mentioned, that those globulins are insanely high. That screams cancer, like the multiple myeloma suggested in the report. Talk with your vet about it and seek a second opinion if necessary.

I thought that would be the response. Cheers guys, even the indication that the globulins are through the roof makes me more confident that something needs to be done soon.

I appreciate the responses and will likely grab a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.