After rejection...I have gone to grad school...do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanomed

That's Doctor Doctor 2 Be
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to mention that I am a American-Puerto Rican student in my last year of graduate school (towards a PhD in Chemistry), at a top notch university, and I am re-applying to medical school this year. It has been almost 4 years since my initial application...I have published several (~6) really good papers so far, a book chapter based on my graduate work, attended several international conferences on nanobiotechnology (my area of research), great letters of rec., I have done a lot of volunteering and community service...however, I do not think I have what it takes b/c my GPA and MCAT are not as competitive.

GPA (Sci - 3.37, All Other - 3.64, overall - 3.42, and grad school GPA - 3.6)
MCAT (Ver - 7, Phy Sci - 8, Bio Sci - 7, Essay - N === Overall - 22N)

I believe these scores to be low, I am have re-taken the MCAT this past August, and I am currently waiting for these new scores. I have applied for this year and recieved all of my secondaries...but am I waisting my time? Does anyone think that I have a chance of acceptance or not at all? :confused:

Any input would be valuable --- :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, I accidently reposted this question here...:eek:

The MCAT scores are obvious, they need to go up. The published papers are a big push forward. Did you mention any EC's like volunteering. That will also be key. But really the grad program should help with the GPA. So keep your fingers crossed for those scores and hope all goes well... I'm a reapp too and hoping that my luck changes this time too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to mention that I am a American-Puerto Rican student in my last year of graduate school (towards a PhD in Chemistry), at a top notch university, and I am re-applying to medical school this year. It has been almost 4 years since my initial application...I have published several (~6) really good papers so far, a book chapter based on my graduate work, attended several international conferences on nanobiotechnology (my area of research), great letters of rec., I have done a lot of volunteering and community service...however, I do not think I have what it takes b/c my GPA and MCAT are not as competitive.

GPA (Sci - 3.37, All Other - 3.64, overall - 3.42, and grad school GPA - 3.6)
MCAT (Ver - 7, Phy Sci - 8, Bio Sci - 7, Essay - N === Overall - 22N)

I believe these scores to be low, I am have re-taken the MCAT this past August, and I am currently waiting for these new scores. I have applied for this year and recieved all of my secondaries...but am I waisting my time? Does anyone think that I have a chance of acceptance or not at all? :confused:

Any input would be valuable --- :thumbup:

Well the MCAT HAS to come up if your going to attempt to reapply to MD programs, IMHO. Perhaps DO's or the caribbean would be options to you that you might consider. As for grad school many will require you to take the GREs rather than the MCAT, but do know of some that will accept MCAT scores. What MCAT score is acceptable to a Grad school? I donno that one. However, I do know the grad school here wanted to see atleast 500 on both Verbal and Quant parts separately for your GRE.

The real Bright side to your stats is your GPA is solid and the more credit hrs you get as grad the further you can distance yourself from the Undergrad. Its not bad, just a lil weaker than the grad.

Good Luck!

The PhD will be a plus and the grades are by no means bad. The only thing holding you back is the very low MCAT. Raise that to around a 30 and you honestly should have a very good shot at getting in somewhere.