Medical After applying EDP, School says: "We Do Not Have EDP". What Should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I applied early decision to a new MD program, and have not received any type of communication from them. When I called to ask for an update I was told by an admissions office member that the school does not have an early decision program, that secondaries would not be sent out until October, and she hung up. Their website has an EDP listed and it is a designation on the AMCAS.
I'm unsure about what to do from here, as I have restricted myself from all other medical schools and it is already mid-July. Do I call again? Do I send an email to the dean? What are my next steps here?

Full disclaimer: Before I applied EDP, I called a few months before to ask if there is anything I need to do or should do and was told that there was nothing special I should do.

Ask to speak to the Admissions Dean.

Either:
A) the school abandoned EDP and IT hasn't updated thier website (very possible)
B) you were dealing with some temp flunky who doesn't know anything about admissions or the school (also possible)

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you call so that communication is clear and direct without confusion. Sometimes people have odd ways of wording things in emails. Follow up with an email if needed, but speak directly to the dean about it, and then follow up with AMCAS if needed to be able to submit to other schools.

It is entirely possible that the school is a little late in notifying AMCAS about EDP. It is not good form to hang up on you without you having a chance to at least leave a message with the director of admissions or dean of admissions (where applicable). I would try to email and phone the dean and/or director about EDP and get confirmation it has been terminated before going to AMCAS.

When I was director of admissions, I would make sure the website was updated, especially for those early-entry programs. Usually I would let prehealth advisors know ahead of time too.

Update:
I contacted admissions again, and was told they will not be participating on EDP & the dean is currently unavailable.

What should be my next steps?
I can’t do anything on my AMCAS & I’m incredibly sad that this may mess up my cycle.

@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @MusicDOc124
Haven't a clue about how to proceed other than to advise that they're always do schools who will be happy to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of outside experience when it comes to academics or jobs, I always strongly advise anyone and everyone to leave a paper trail. I'm a bit confused as to why they give you simplistic responses and hang up, but as you wait to speak with the Dean, have the first person you talk to send you a direct "official" email stating that they do not participate in the early admissions program. Within the minute you receive it send it off to AMCAS while simultaneously calling AMCAS for even further confirmation.

Maybe more of the story exists, but at face value they really are hindering your ability to cast a much wider net beyond a non existent EDP for this particular school ( You did say "new MD program" which may explain the miscommunication via website and actual protocol ).

Thanks all for your replies and help. The dean was able to confirm there is no EDP. I’m super sad as that school is my first choice and I felt as though EDP was my best route. Looks like I’ll be applying in the regular cycle
Please let us know AMCAS' response time in removing the EDP designation from your application so you can proceed with a normal cycle.

Wanted to update:

The AAMC has an option on the AMCAS that states the “school has released me from all obligations regarding EDP.”

I was not necessary to name the school & it was a simple fix. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.