africa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merger007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taking electives or pursuing their medical degree on the continent?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by merger007
Anyone taking electives or pursuing their medical degree on the continent?

Yes, I have just been accepted into St. Luke School of Medicine.
St. Luke School of Medicine is also approved by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA and is listed with the (WHO). Additionally, St. Luke School of Medicine adheres to the requirements defined by the National Accreditation Board for Tertiary Institutions of Ghana, the Medical and Dental Council of Liberia, the Medical and Dental Council of Ghana, and the Business and Professions code for medical schools, defined by various States in the United States, which are members of the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States. Although I will not be studying in Africa, I'm choosing a dual major MD/NMD, I'm headed off to Pune, India. I'll be there for 2 1/2 yrs for my Basic Science part then I'll head back here to the US where I'll do my rotations.

Sorry if couldn't be of help to you, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Jasmine

Originally posted by Jasminegab
Yes, I have just been accepted into St. Luke School of Medicine.
St. Luke School of Medicine is also approved by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA and is listed with the (WHO). Additionally, St. Luke School of Medicine adheres to the requirements defined by the National Accreditation Board for Tertiary Institutions of Ghana, the Medical and Dental Council of Liberia, the Medical and Dental Council of Ghana, and the Business and Professions code for medical schools, defined by various States in the United States, which are members of the Federation of State Medical Boards of the United States. Although I will not be studying in Africa, I'm choosing a dual major MD/NMD, I'm headed off to Pune, India. I'll be there for 2 1/2 yrs for my Basic Science part then I'll head back here to the US where I'll do my rotations.

Sorry if couldn't be of help to you, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

Jasmine

FYI: The NMD (Naturopathic) degree from St. Luke is not recognized by the CNME. http://www.cnme.us/

Members don't see this ad :)
Jasmine,

Where is St. Luke located?

Originally posted by merger007
Jasmine,

Where is St. Luke located?

St. Luke is located in Ghana or Liberia. There are two campus. If you like more information just pm me, I will be happy to get information to you.

Jasmine

Originally posted by poly
FYI: The NMD (Naturopathic) degree from St. Luke is not recognized by the CNME. http://www.cnme.us/

Thank you for pointing this out. It is the very reason I choose to go to SLSOM rather than become a Naturopathic Medical Doctor or go to any of the schools listed by the CNME or the AANP. I have also decided to change my major to MD/IMD (Integrative Medicine). Now for the best part.

To me, it does not matter if CNME or AANP or those other ND organizations recognize me or not as a physician. The only accrediting body I do care about is the AMA (American Medical Association). My goal is to practice Integrative medicine, thus the dual major. I do not want to be a naturopathic physician but I do want to be medical doctor (Internist) who specializes in Integrative Medicine. Integrative medicine is practiced by MD's and excepted by the AMA. Most of these MD's are Internist or other FP's who have gone back to a Naturopathic Med School or did fellowships in Integrative Medicine. This field of medicine is growing ever so rapidly that there is a school that offers a rotation and fellowship in Integrative Medicine recognized by the AMA and approved as an elective which all medical students have to do electives during the 3/4th year of med school.
www.integrativemedicine.arizona.edu

ND's from these CNME or AANP accredited schools cannot do this fellowship nor can they do the rotation nor are they recognized by the AMA. I rather be recoginzed by the AMA and be able to be licensed in all US states and Canada, then to go to a CNME/AANP schools only to graduate and be licensable in only 11 states.

Please, I'm not saying this to brag. I'm not bragging. I do thank you for bring this to light since there is so much debate on Naturopathy that even Naturopaths argue amongst themselves as to who is truely a naturopathic physician and who isn't. I'm sure that if you contacted this CNME or the AANP (American Association of Naturopathic Physicians) they would say that a MD cannot be a Naturopathic Physician. I actually read this this. Now do you see why I choose a Medical School which incorporates both Allopathy and Naturopathy? All I want to do is heal people. I don't want to spend my the rest of my life arguing over who is a physician and who is not a physician.

Lastly, SLSOM/SGI is not a mail order medical school. The N.M.D. program is a 4-year curriculum which includes clinical rotations. You don't do this degree online. The Southern Graduate Institute administers the St. Luke School of Medicine Department of Natural Health Sciences. Founded in 1998, and accredited in 1999 and 2000, St Luke School of Medicine provides doctoral medical training in allopathic medicine. St. Luke School of Medicine is listed in the World Health Organization Listings (WHO) and its students and graduates are eligible to take the State Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), as given through the Educational Commission of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. St. Luke School of Medicine medical curriculum is centered around the educational requirements of the USMLE.

Best wishes,

Jasmine

well i have never heard of a med school in ghana called st. luke
. I am in MB 2 in the University of Ghana Medical School.
Nice to meet other african med students on this site. Love u all. bye

Originally posted by Akuffo
well i have never heard of a med school in ghana called st. luke
. I am in MB 2 in the University of Ghana Medical School.
Nice to meet other african med students on this site. Love u all. bye

Eti senyi (spelling error i know)
Wo ho te sen :D
I've had a lot of friends from Ghana over the years plus I'm Nigerian, so mad luv. Been to Ghana 2x, last visit was to Accra for like 10days when i was like 13

Hi everyone,
I've enjoyed following the st. luke Med school discussion, I'm in Ghana @ ugms but this the first time I'm hearing of St. luke. I like the idea of such a school though and should like some more info. , the student population etc.,

Hi lotanna,
Great you still recollect the traditional greeting. Could you please tell me a bit more about the current state of affairs in Nigerian Universities.
:)

hi there kafui, great to know u followed up the link from the odadeee site. Thanks for joining the sdn crew. U will really luv it in here.
Sorry guys, but I am so happy SDN has gained a new member. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey kafui spread the news ok. LONG LIVE SDN .

Originally posted by kafui
Hi lotanna,
Great you still recollect the traditional greeting. Could you please tell me a bit more about the current state of affairs in Nigerian Universities.
:)

Hey kafui, Akwaaba :)

Everything i know about Nigerian universities is like 2nd hand, left when i was young :(
But i can say that its a big crisis, students seem to spend more time at home due to the many strikes, and all that. The private schls (Igbinedion) are good from what i hear but they are on the expensive side comparatively speaking.

Medical School in africa...sounds fun