Afraid of not finding a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 4th year of school, which means I will graduate in a couple months. I've been applying everywhere for pharmacist jobs but I haven't been able to land any interviews yet. I know I'm getting rejected mostly because I do not have my license yet.

I am currently interning at an independent chain pharmacy. I asked if they can hire me on and they said they will consider me if there is an opening. I've also gotten that same response with past preceptors I've asked. So basically I feel like I have no options right now.

Any tips for me finding jobs? Should I just apply for pharmacist jobs from all the chain stores on their websites? When the application asks if I have my PharmD yet, should I just say "yes" so I won't get an automated rejection e-mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying online is not enough, you need to be contacting them.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply for grad intern positions. Not pharmacist positions

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in my 4th year of school, which means I will graduate in a couple months. I've been applying everywhere for pharmacist jobs but I haven't been able to land any interviews yet. I know I'm getting rejected mostly because I do not have my license yet.

I am currently interning at an independent chain pharmacy. I asked if they can hire me on and they said they will consider me if there is an opening. I've also gotten that same response with past preceptors I've asked. So basically I feel like I have no options right now.

Any tips for me finding jobs? Should I just apply for pharmacist jobs from all the chain stores on their websites? When the application asks if I have my PharmD yet, should I just say "yes" so I won't get an automated rejection e-mail?

Should have done your research before entering Pharm.D schools.....This has been said so many times and posted here with countless threads and prepharmers ignore this constantly. Now, see? Struggling.

Reactions: 2 users
Should have done your research before entering Pharm.D schools.....This has been said so many times and posted here with countless threads and prepharmers ignore this constantly. Now, see? Struggling.

It wasn't quite as bad 7 or 8 years ago when the OP presumably started on this journey, but it was heading that way.

(Says the person who retired 5 years ago last month, with 100% support, and has never regretted it.)

Reactions: 1 users
Also: it's only march. I feel like most of my class didn't have locked down offers until April/may.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Generally speaking, the job that you should seek is graduate pharmacist... chains usually come to schools to conduct interviews and make offers... has that taken place? I wouldn't apply for pharmacists positions bc you simply don't meet the job requirements. What good would it do to "incorrectly" fill out a job application? If you can get contact information of district managers from your classmates and email/ call them to see if they are hiring that would prolly be better way to go...

You need to dress nicely, walk into every pharmacy near by and ask for an application and/or to speak with the pharmacy manager (or owner) if possible.

After turning in the resume, go back or call multiple times and check in. Applying online won't get you anywhere unless it's CVS (high turnover); they want to put a face to your name and see your personal skills.

You need to dress nicely, walk into every pharmacy near by and ask for an application and/or to speak with the pharmacy manager (or owner) if possible.

After turning in the resume, go back or call multiple times and check in. Applying online won't get you anywhere unless it's CVS (high turnover); they want to put a face to your name and see your personal skills.

Managers have nothing to do with hiring, unless someone walks into an independent and can talk to an owner. If someone came into my store I would just tell them to contact corporate/apply online and send them on their way. OP would be better off doing every online app and using their network to get the emails of any DM they can and inquire about openings as well.

Managers have nothing to do with hiring, unless someone walks into an independent and can talk to an owner. If someone came into my store I would just tell them to contact corporate/apply online and send them on their way. OP would be better off doing every online app and using their network to get the emails of any DM they can and inquire about openings as well.

I've gotten 3 pharmacy intern jobs from asking to speak to the pharmacy manager, live in person, and a 4th by talking to the owner. Yes, that is interning, and I'd continue to try it as a pharmacist too (if I were job searching)... it's not going to hurt to try.

Generally speaking, in chains, PIC hires techs, clerks, interns; DM/ supervisors hire pharmacists/grad pharmacists.... asking to get contacts of DM/ supervisors any way that you can help you tremendously, but a PIC isn't likely to hire you... maybe refer you to a dm, which would be the goal

I've gotten 3 pharmacy intern jobs from asking to speak to the pharmacy manager, live in person, and a 4th by talking to the owner. Yes, that is interning, and I'd continue to try it as a pharmacist too (if I were job searching)... it's not going to hurt to try.

This guy is looking for a pharmacist job, not an intern gig. Sure it won't hurt, but it'll prob be a waste of time that could be better served searching in better ways. If an RPh stopped by and then called me constantly after telling him/her I don't hire RPh's and to contact corporate, all that would accomplish is I would start to think the person is dense/a nuisance. Your advice is better suited for a tech or intern.

Last edited:
Just to throw in my unsolicited, oft-despised two cents, I was put in touch with the DMs from two chains (one of the "big three" and a grocery chain DM) who oversee districts in the southeast, and they both told me that if jobs aren't posted on the company's online jobs website, they probably don't have any openings in the area. They even told me that some of the job listings that actually are posted are just "placeholder" listings for interns who have been offered and have accepted jobs that will begin when they graduate from pharmacy school in a few months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm afraid too. I'm a 4th year in Pittsburgh and had done internship at Kmart but half the stores closed last year and my pharmacist said that they won't be surprised if their store closes. I wanna stay with retail of some sort but idk which company to work for (my 5th and 6th year) that has the best chance of a job available when I graduate.

Welcome to the club

... and yet, so many of the posters here tell pharmacy students who are thinking about bailing on pharmacy for a plan B to just suck it up and stick it out.

... and yet, so many of the posters here tell pharmacy students who are thinking about bailing on pharmacy for a plan B to just suck it up and stick it out.

Me neither. Bail before you accrue another $100k+ in loans.

If only pre-pharms actually listened to us before starting school.

Me neither. Bail before you accrue another $100k+ in loans.

If only pre-pharms actually listened to us before starting school.

I'm not above saying that I made a mistake and I regret it. I had a dream last night that I was in dental school; waking up sucked. I wonder how long it will take for other pharmacy students to start withdrawing from their programs to pursue other ventures.

This isn't 1996...the big chains have their own hiring manager or DM that does the hiring. The people staffed in the stores actually have very little to do with hiring actual pharmacists. Unless it's your buddy working PIC...in which case he can already forward your resume to his DM.

To OP, you have to be persistent. I'd contact people you know that are currently working and asking for the DM's emails so you can personally email them. You can also relocate and see where there are most job prospects. This profession is consolidating fast and it's a shame. There's really not much choice besides CVS, WAGS (Rite Aid) and Walmart....oh you want hospital...that will require some PGY training. It's real bleak here if you're in the tri-state area (NJ/PA)

I'm afraid too. I'm a 4th year in Pittsburgh and had done internship at Kmart but half the stores closed last year and my pharmacist said that they won't be surprised if their store closes. I wanna stay with retail of some sort but idk which company to work for (my 5th and 6th year) that has the best chance of a job available when I graduate.

I think it's best to intern with cvs or Walgreens right now; even if your district won't hire, some hope that you may be placed in a nearby district that has openings

I think it's best to intern with cvs or Walgreens right now; even if your district won't hire, some hope that you may be placed in a nearby district that has openings

Yep -- I'm just a pitiful, regretful P1, but this is exactly what the DMs of several chains in the southeast have told me (I.e., intern for CVS or Walgreens because our grocery chain basically doesn't have openings anymore, even for experienced pharmacists, and especially not for new grads even when one opens up every 2-3 years)

Maybe your school has on-site interviews or a recruiting event? At my school all you have to do is set up an interview when they are on campus; a lot of people get jobs this way or through their internships.

You should be OP

You are supposed to be grateful to get a job at one of the sweatshops of the chains

I'm just grateful that I was graduated when I did. Most people in my class had a job lined up before graduation, but I didn't because I had no interest in working retail. It took me a few months to land that first job after graduating, but thankfully everything worked out. It feels like things would have been way different had I graduated just one year later. I do not envy you guys right now.

I have been out for 5 years. I received an offer letter the week before graduation at my first inpatient position.

OP: Keep working at it, network your ass off, talk to professors, preceptors and peers and consider relocating. You can not be shy about your interest, be professional and excited, show them you are interested. The reality is that the job market will continue to get tighter over the coming years, so some people are going to get left out in the rain. You have to be willing to relocate, do a residency, network or take an undesirable job.

Now that you realize how tough the job market is, that should inspire you to live frugally, pay down debt and save an emergency fund once you get a job. Be prepared!

Welcome to the jobless club. Pathetic, but a reality.

I have not gotten any job offers yet. I have applied to everywhere/anything in FL. Recently, I have gotten 3 job interviews in person. I have driven over 2000 miles all over FL. Still here waiting for their answers. I am extremely frugal (like I prepare my sandwiches at home for the trips and faucet water, nothing else is spent except gas). There is a "gauge" that "it tells" me how bad things really are.

When you drive lots of miles for a job interview (do not assume it is full-time position) in the middle of nowhere, raining like mad, Florida windy, etc. And then you arrive early and stay there in the parking lot waiting for your interview time. And then you see other classmates or people from other pharmacy schools walking to the place for the same interview (they have not noticed that you are there too). You look at them all dressed up in pants/skirts with the professional folio walking through the parking lot, full of nerves/hopes. 30 mins later, they are out. Get back in their cars and drive back home. Now is your turn. You go in, 30 min passed, you get out. Then, you drive back home, you ask around about what is x or y classmate doing. Silence. Few want to give up the intel for that job interview they just had (you are just lucky that you were called for it too). And these are the graduates from the 2016 class. Many of them I am 100% sure worked as pharmacy interns during school, and some were even techs before starting pharmacy school. Now, the 2017 class is coming out strong.

Nasty market. Pray, so all of us can get a job and practice pharmacy sooner than later. Good luck.

Last edited:

I have not gotten any job offers yet. I have applied to everywhere/anything in FL. Recently, I have gotten 3 job interviews in person. I have driven over 2000 miles all over FL. Still here waiting for their answers. I am extremely frugal (like I prepare my sandwiches at home for the trips and faucet water, nothing else is spent except gas). There is a "gauge" that "it tells" me how bad things really are.

When you drive lots of miles for a job interview (do not assume it is full-time position) in the middle of nowhere, raining like mad, Florida windy, etc. And then you arrive early and stay there in the parking lot waiting for your interview time. And then you see other classmates or people from other pharmacy schools walking to the place for the same interview (they have not noticed that you are there too). You look at them all dressed up in pants/skirts with the professional folio walking through the parking lot, full of nerves/hopes. 30 mins later, they are out. Get back in their cars and drive back home. Now is your turn. You go in, 30 min passed, you get out. Then, you drive back home, you ask around about what is x or y classmate doing. Silence. Few want to give up the intel for that job interview they just had (you are just lucky that you were called for it too). And these are the graduates from the 2016 class. Many of them I am 100% sure worked as pharmacy interns during school, and some were even techs before starting pharmacy school. Now, the 2017 class is coming out strong.

Nasty market. Pray, so all of us can get a job and practice pharmacy sooner than later. Good luck.

Yea that is really really crazy. I have been job hunting for the past 6-8months in the tri-state area and there is literally nothing. I mean I have a job right now...but I was just looking for a new gig...so maybe i'm not actively looking like crazy but any job that is posted on indeed has 50+ applying for it.

Since you mentioned you were in FL, I looked up the latest job market ADI (Aggregate Demand Index) number for your area; the latest stats were released about two weeks ago:

PDI

As you can see, the ADI for FL is between 2.51 - 2.99, which means that there are officially more pharmacists in your state than there are jobs. Just 6-8 months ago, the ADI for FL was over a 3.0, which means that the state has become saturated in a matter of months.

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for in case you don't get a job within the next few months? Are you considering going back to school to get a degree in something else?

Yea that is really really crazy. I have been job hunting for the past 6-8months in the tri-state area and there is literally nothing. I mean I have a job right now...but I was just looking for a new gig...so maybe i'm not actively looking like crazy but any job that is posted on indeed has 50+ applying for it.
Even if you do look hard ... there is pretty much nothing ... it's a complete joke right now

As you can see, the ADI for FL is between 2.51 - 2.99, which means that there are officially more pharmacists in your state than there are jobs. Just 6-8 months ago, the ADI for FL was over a 3.0, which means that the state has become saturated in a matter of months.

Is this accurate? I was under the impression that FL reached saturation a few years back.. I think the manpower project changed its metrics recently. Maybe that explains it?

Is this accurate? I was under the impression that FL reached saturation a few years back.. I think the manpower project changed its metrics recently. Maybe that explains it?

I'm not sure about that, but check this out. I just noticed it earlier. The standard ADI scale has always been 0-5, with 5 corresponding to high demand for pharmacists and 0 corresponding to low demand for them. But if you notice, on the front page, the scale appears to be reversed:

PDI

Do you think this was an honest mistake, or are they simply trying to make a 3.x rating still look like an indication of a "good" job market? (since, at first glance, it would make the overall ADI to appear to be relatively unchanged from what it's been reported as for the last few years)

I have not gotten any job offers yet. I have applied to everywhere/anything in FL. Recently, I have gotten 3 job interviews in person. I have driven over 2000 miles all over FL.

This is not so good of a sign....how long have you been looking?
Theres gotta be some boonies somewhere in Florida where no one wants to move right?

Since you mentioned you were in FL, I looked up the latest job market ADI (Aggregate Demand Index) number for your area; the latest stats were released about two weeks ago:

PDI

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for in case you don't get a job within the next few months? Are you considering going back to school to get a degree in something else?

Yes, it is really bad...I already have an undergraduate degree in science. I am looking at possible options with it. Going back to school for me would be a huge mistake as I am not in my twenties any longer. The opportunity cost already is too great. I plan to work in a car wash, bartender, uber, or whatever to get some money and get licenses for other states, at the same time, I will apply to the armed forces, Indian health or something, I just saw a job in Iraq but they also require experience...I am too deep with the loans and time invested...I will keep pushing. No family for me.

Something that I have noticed where I live, which I think is a bit ironic, is the fact that I see lots of senior citizens sunbathing at the beach. I mean like lots/tons of them. You would think that this would be an ideal area for more pharmacists, it is not. It seems like pharmacies have become really good at managing demand with the few manpower they have. Or, all of these senior citizens are super healthy and require minimum care.

This is not so good of a sign....how long have you been looking?
Theres gotta be some boonies somewhere in Florida where no one wants to move right?

Looking for two months solid. 12 hrs a day, no weekends off. All the online resources. Many of the jobs repeat themselves over and over in different sites. Lots of bs from many websites. I have applied to every place there is a position open, all the rural areas too. I will go to a town of 20 people. I even have all my stuff in boxes ready to go. I am here like crossing fingers, praying, and hoping for something to materialize.

Last edited:

I feel like PDI is a non specific, prognostic/trend indicator of jobs. I am basing this statement on being a Californian. They rank CA (north) a 4.0, the highest demand in the nation. There are a FEW rural areas in NorCal that have jobs, that generally have a high turn over bc it's filled with new grads who leave to return home. But, if you consider bay area where jobs are almost non existant, which also is considered northern CA, i don't know how PDI assigns norcal a 4.0 score. This makes me wonder: 1. Limited Data? 2. Bias?

This is why I don't rely or put too much weight into PDI. I know how my classmates are doing and what places are hiring within 100 miles of my area. I think BLS report and HRSA report are more accurate in depicting the state of pharmacy.

I feel like PDI is a non specific, prognostic/trend indicator of jobs. I am basing this statement on being a Californian. They rank CA (north) a 4.0, the highest demand in the nation. There are a FEW rural areas in NorCal that have jobs, that generally have a high turn over bc it's filled with new grads who leave to return home. But, if you consider bay area where jobs are almost non existant, which also is considered northern CA, i don't know how PDI assigns norcal a 4.0 score. This makes me wonder: 1. Limited Data? 2. Bias?

This is why I don't rely or put too much weight into PDI. I know how my classmates are doing and what places are hiring within 100 miles of my area. I think BLS report and HRSA report are more accurate in depicting the state of pharmacy.

In that case, the job market is in even worse shape than we initially thought, because for the most part, the PDI seems to be fairly accurate (I.e., it still says that 60-70% of states are now saturated), even if it misses the mark on a few states (such as CA).

Everything south of Redding is southern CA right?

Yes, it is really bad...I already have an undergraduate degree in science. I am looking at possible options with it. Going back to school for me would be a huge mistake as I am not in my twenties any longer. The opportunity cost already is too great. I plan to work in a car wash, bartender, uber, or whatever to get some money and get licenses for other states, at the same time, I will apply to the armed forces, Indian health or something, I just saw a job in Iraq but they also require experience...I am too deep with the loans and time invested...I will keep pushing. No family for me.

Something that I have noticed where I live, which I think is a bit ironic, is the fact that I see lots of senior citizens sunbathing at the beach. I mean like lots/tons of them. You would think that this would be an ideal area for more pharmacists, it is not. It seems like pharmacies have become really good at managing demand with the few manpower they have. Or, all of these senior citizens are super healthy and require minimum care.

Looking for two months solid. 12 hrs a day, no weekends off. All the online resources. Many of the jobs repeat themselves over and over in different sites. Lots of bs from many websites. I have applied to every place there is a position open, all the rural areas too. I will go to a town of 20 people. I even have all my stuff in boxes ready to go. I am here like crossing fingers, praying, and hoping for something to materialize.
How about you get licensed in a few other states? It's time to leave FL.

WM is hiring in rural Alabama so at least that is a state contiguous to FL. Imagine the possibilities for CVS...

If H1Bs with limited American cultural "fluency" can do it, so can you.

WM is hiring in rural Alabama so at least that is a state contiguous to FL. Imagine the possibilities for CVS...

If H1Bs with limited American cultural "fluency" can do it, so can you.

Rural Alabama is an awful place to live. My cousin lives in one of those towns, and every time I drive through, I can't imagine how someone could force themselves to live there. Waking up every day and having absolutely nothing to do but work or sit at home sounds like a nightmare. Forget not having trendy big-city nightclubs -- there are no public parks, there's no entertainment whatsoever, not even any gyms. The very real, likely possibility of having to live in one of those communities is singularly motivation enough to leave pharmacy school for virtually anything else.

At this point, you should start applying to IHS, any state license will qualify you. The application process is really slow, so might as put in the application now and see what happens. May qualify for loan reimbursement in some areas as well. Many of these areas are very remote and depressing but you would get solid pharmacist job exposure for retail and maybe even a little non dispensing ambulatory care experience.
Job Opportunities | Pharmacists

Rural Alabama is an awful place to live. My cousin lives in one of those towns, and every time I drive through, I can't imagine how someone could force themselves to live there. Waking up every day and having absolutely nothing to do but work or sit at home sounds like a nightmare. Forget not having trendy big-city nightclubs -- there are no public parks, there's no entertainment whatsoever, not even any gyms. The very real, likely possibility of having to live in one of those communities is singularly motivation enough to leave pharmacy school for virtually anything else.

Ex: Brewton, AL. One hour from Pensacola and 37 min from Wind Creek Atmore. I see it as worse than western AZ but you aren't 5 hours from a semi-large city.

At this point, you should start applying to IHS, any state license will qualify you. The application process is really slow, so might as put in the application now and see what happens. May qualify for loan reimbursement in some areas as well. Many of these areas are very remote and depressing but you would get solid pharmacist job exposure for retail and maybe even a little non dispensing ambulatory care experience.

Are IHS jobs easy to get? I feel like they would be competitive for the govt benefits...

Ex: Brewton, AL. One hour from Pensacola and 37 min from Wind Creek Atmore. I see it as worse than western AZ but you aren't 5 hours from a semi-large city.

I guess that proximity to the beach is an upside, but on a day-to-day basis, it still means having virtually nothing to do. Even if it turns out that I just love pharmacy work, I can't imagine having that lifestyle (or lack thereof). I don't need trendy downtown nightclubs to enjoy myself, but having absolutely nothing going on is not something I can handle.

No gyms?

How about you get licensed in a few other states? It's time to leave FL.

Yea. I will start the process. The problem is, I am short on money. So first have to work construction or something to get the money and then apply. Meanwhile, I will start reading and learning the laws.

Yea. I will start the process. The problem is, I am short on money. So first have to work construction or something to get the money and then apply. Meanwhile, I will start reading and learning the laws.
Sigh... It's frustrating how much companies make from students' exams these days...

Dude. I'm in VA but barely. 15 minutes from WV and KY in a town built around a Walmart. Brewton sounds like a paradise.

No gyms?

Yeah, you don't have to be a bodybuilder to want to lift some weights (I'm talking places like Gold's Gym, LA Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, etc., not gritty hardcore Rocky Balboa gyms).

Dude. I'm in VA but barely. 15 minutes from WV and KY in a town built around a Walmart. Brewton sounds like a paradise.

Geez, is it really coming to this? People are actually comparing BFE town vs. BFE town to see which one is the least miserable to start a new life in?

Ok, if it's a town of 4k then maybe it isn't the best place, but some of these smaller, relatively isolated towns aren't that bad, like 30-60k. Just have to do your homework like anything else.

I'm sort of in the same spot. Had an internship at a grocery chain for 2 years but they didnt hire me as a pharmacists. Then had an internship with an MTM company for the past year know the president and many people there, but they haven't guaranteed a spot for me just said "we have you in the pipeline and are keeping your timeline in mind". Anyways that scared the **** out of me and now I'm scrambling applied to Walgreens online. Let my friends working at CVS and RiteAid know to let their DM's know.