Air Force AF IM Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barcu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an M3 and AF HPSP. In the coming months, I have to start looking at programs for away rotations next year. I am pretty set on Medicine, so I was looking for any input on the current AF programs.

I'm leaning toward San Antonio and Wright-Patt, mostly because they are the two biggest. I don't know much about Keesler, which is pretty big as well (there are apparently no fellowships there- is that a good thing or bad thing for IM residency training?). I'm not sure what the other options are currently. Have spots been changed or new locations added?

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions/experiences with any of these programs? I'm trying to pick out the two that I want to rotate at.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MSIV who rotated at the medicine programs at both Wright-Patt and SAMMC, so I can at least give you the perspective I got as a Sub-I.

The medical center at Wright-Patt definitely does not get as many admits as you see at most other hospitals. There were 4 medicine teams that would have anywhere between 1-6 patients a day. The program there is tied into the Wright State University IM residency so residents also get to rotate at the VA and one of the bigger hospitals in downtown Dayton. Talking with the residents/faculty, civilian and military residents are essentially identical with the only major difference being that military residents do their outpatient clinic at WPMC. As far as the atmosphere, the group of residents I was with all got along real well, seemed to like living in the area, and the attendings were excellent teachers. They had academics twice a day with morning report and noon lecture. I definitely enjoyed my time there.

SAMMC seemed like the complete opposite in terms of comparing medical centers. The place it huge with every specialty in the hospital. They have 6-7 medicine teams that cap at I think 20 patients. Some teams had 15 pretty much the entire month while others fluctuated pretty regularly. Wide variety of cases that came in which made for a nice challenge. Tend to be a lot more active duty and recently retired patients as opposed to the majority of older retired at WPMC. The month here was a lot busier than WPMC. The residents basically do all of their rotations at the hospital since they already have everything here. Academics every morning with one afternoon a week with 4 hours of lecture. Saw a lot here and got a lot of experience which was nice.

I'm more than happy to answer any other specifics you have.

I'm a MSIV who rotated at the medicine programs at both Wright-Patt and SAMMC, so I can at least give you the perspective I got as a Sub-I.

The medical center at Wright-Patt definitely does not get as many admits as you see at most other hospitals. There were 4 medicine teams that would have anywhere between 1-6 patients a day. The program there is tied into the Wright State University IM residency so residents also get to rotate at the VA and one of the bigger hospitals in downtown Dayton. Talking with the residents/faculty, civilian and military residents are essentially identical with the only major difference being that military residents do their outpatient clinic at WPMC. As far as the atmosphere, the group of residents I was with all got along real well, seemed to like living in the area, and the attendings were excellent teachers. They had academics twice a day with morning report and noon lecture. I definitely enjoyed my time there.

SAMMC seemed like the complete opposite in terms of comparing medical centers. The place it huge with every specialty in the hospital. They have 6-7 medicine teams that cap at I think 20 patients. Some teams had 15 pretty much the entire month while others fluctuated pretty regularly. Wide variety of cases that came in which made for a nice challenge. Tend to be a lot more active duty and recently retired patients as opposed to the majority of older retired at WPMC. The month here was a lot busier than WPMC. The residents basically do all of their rotations at the hospital since they already have everything here. Academics every morning with one afternoon a week with 4 hours of lecture. Saw a lot here and got a lot of experience which was nice.

I'm more than happy to answer any other specifics you have.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Anyone have anything to say about Keesler?