af dental corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

japolloniac09

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got accepted into the afhpsp dental corps. though i don't need the money for school, i was tempted by the experiences that i could get out of working as an af dentist, so i applied. my recruiter has kept telling me that lifestyle is great for an af dentist and that i would be afforded with many great dental opportunities such as cont ed, specializing, etc. esp for someone who's going to be a newly graduated dentist, i wouldln't have to worry about all th eoverhead costs and insurance fees. just wanted to know if you heard anything from the dental end or if you had knew any colleagues who were in teh dental corps who regretted it or was satisfied. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

japolloniac09 said:
i just got accepted into the afhpsp dental corps. though i don't need the money for school, i was tempted by the experiences that i could get out of working as an af dentist

HAHAHAHAHA You're gonna be surprised.

my recruiter has kept telling me that lifestyle is great for an af dentist and that i would be afforded with many great dental opportunities such as cont ed, specializing, etc.

HAHAHAHAHAHA All the AF dentists I know hate it. Never trust a recruiter. Good luck. :(

Praetorian said:
HAHAHAHAHA You're gonna be surprised.

HAHAHAHAHAHA All the AF dentists I know hate it. Never trust a recruiter. Good luck. :(

I'm sure a more constructive reply was expected even if the info was still negative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:

I spent about 25 hours volunteering in an AF dental clinic this past summer, and EVERY dentist I talked to love it. People I talked to included AEGD residents, general dentists, endo, perio, and orthodontists, ranking from capt. to col., and people who have served overseas. The only people I saw that didn't really care were some of the dental assistants (enlistees). But overall, the atmosphere was great!...be ready to go for some early morning runs with your dental flight before work though ;)

coolslugs said:
I spent about 25 hours volunteering in an AF dental clinic this past summer, and EVERY dentist I talked to love it. People I talked to included AEGD residents, general dentists, endo, perio, and orthodontists, ranking from capt. to col., and people who have served overseas. The only people I saw that didn't really care were some of the dental assistants (enlistees). But overall, the atmosphere was great!...be ready to go for some early morning runs with your dental flight before work though ;)

at least 50% of the dentist I know HATE the USAF version of care. On top of that, the clinic was just "optimized" which means, a program of seeing more patients with fewer dentist has been mandated.

good luck.

Sorry, I was in a bad mood when I initially posted.

But seriously, when I was in the service I was planning on being a dentist (I'm now a premed) and spent considerable time around the dental clinic and the assessment I came away with was far more similar to USAFDoc's than the rosy picture painted by coolslugs. The only people I met who were happy with it were the 2 civilian contract dentists and I think the obscene amount of money they were pulling in might have had something to do with their positive assessment of the situation.

Something that people need to keep in mind on the military medicine forum is that the possibility that many of the positive assessments may very well be posted by recruiters who are attempting to prevent the reality of military practice from being disseminated.

Praetorian said:
Something that people need to keep in mind on the military medicine forum is that the possibility that many of the positive assessments may very well be posted by recruiters who are attempting to prevent the reality of military practice from being disseminated.

:scared: I am not a recruiter! Slap me please if I start to sound like a recruiter.