aegd vs going to school for specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andyjl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what i've read doing AEGD does provide the student with more exposure and hands on experience vs going to school for specialization. I will most likely apply for the AEGD by the end of my junior year. I was just wondering what were the pros and cons of going to AEGD vs studying for specialization in school.

Is getting into a specialty program easier by the AEGD route over traditional school?

For those that have done AEGD could you provide some input on your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm sorry, but huh?

what do you mean by, "studying for specialization in school," and "going to school for specialization?"

specialty school is just that - specialty training in a specific facet of dentistry. AEGD is just like the name stands for - general. jack of all trades, master of none. specialty residencies (meaning after dental school) gives lots of "hands-on" training in one specific area. AEGD gives lots of "hands-on" training in lots of general areas.

yes, it is easier to get accepted into specialty training if you have completed an AEGD. probably more so in the military than civilian.

what is, "traditional school?"

you can't apply for specialty residencies, or AEGD's at the end of your junior year. this is done in the fall of your senior year.

i'm sorry, but huh?

what do you mean by, "studying for specialization in school," and "going to school for specialization?"

specialty school is just that - specialty training in a specific facet of dentistry. AEGD is just like the name stands for - general. jack of all trades, master of none. specialty residencies (meaning after dental school) gives lots of "hands-on" training in one specific area. AEGD gives lots of "hands-on" training in lots of general areas.

yes, it is easier to get accepted into specialty training if you have completed an AEGD. probably more so in the military than civilian.

what is, "traditional school?"

you can't apply for specialty residencies, or AEGD's at the end of your junior year. this is done in the fall of your senior year.
i just meant going back to school for speecialization after you finish the four years of dent school, and from the AF brochure that i read you apply at the end of junior year for AEGD