Advisory Board consistently anti-physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have the non-paywall version of this. But this title speaks for itself. These industry think tanks that are anti physician are super frustrating to me. This organization wants fully autonomous mid levels and has stated they believe mid levels can completely replace primary care doctors. It's so frustrating to have people with business degrees generating this kind of content as a big middle finger to all the physicians out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the way APPs are being used, at least in psychiatry, is clearly unsustainable. I blame it on our complete failure to be able to operationalize our clinical functions and the willingness of some providers to practice in a facile way and live down to the description of 'prescriber'. If people are going to practice in a way that does not draw on neuroscience, therapy skills, social and cultural formulation, the capacity for dynamic interpretation, etc., then we are allowing psychiatry to be a fairly replaceable specialty and we can't expect to make 3x as much as people who do a similar job for very long. On the other hand if we do a better job of making it clear why there is great complexity in what we do it will either force APPs to pursue additional training (in which case I am fine with them making the same salary) or for them to be situated in less complex roles (in which case they can't be used to replace the physician workforce). But I don't see it going this way as there are too many psychiatrists who want to see 12 inpatients in 3 hours and then are surprised that people think that what they are doing isn't very complicated.

Reactions: 10 users
Pretty much everywhere is desperate for an MD or NP to fill any position. So our situation is unsustainable, but it's due to shortages of both. I'd like to read the whole article as I can't imagine how giving NPs more responsibility, but paying them the same (or ideally less) is going to "reduce turnover."

Members don't see this ad :)
cool we can just get rid of medical school then and residency. Why even have doctors? If NPs are equal to physicians, i dont really see the need for doctors or medical school or extensive training.

They will learn the hard way "you get what you pay for".

Imagine paralegals practicing law.

We got bamboozled because we don't make the laws, but lawmakers will never let my first sentence be a reality.

Imagine paralegals practicing law.

We got bamboozled because we don't make the laws, but lawmakers will never let my first sentence be a reality.
This is actually being proposed and will almost certainly become law in California. They are called "legal paraprofessionals" and they have been touted as the NPs of the legal profession.

No way! Love to see it.

Legal practitioner sounds good too.
Why are we even paying these pilots 300k+/year for transcontinental flights when we can have airflight practitioners!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user