Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maria044

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice to someone getting ready to send in their CASPA application? I feel as though there has to be something else I can do to improve my chances, but at the same time feel that if I devote any more time in my day to something other than sleep I will simply explode. :)
Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Maria-at this point if you have all your prerequisites done and are working in a health care field it is time for you to kick back(sleep) and wait to see where you get interviews. if you don't get in the 1st time, call the admissions folks and see what can be done to strengthen your application for the next class.admission committees are very receptive to people who take their advice, do the work, and reapply. if you have specific questions, please post them. I have been on the admission committee at 2 P.A. programs and may be able to offer some suggestions.what is your gpa? how much health care experience do you have and at what level? high level experience(rn, respiratory therapist, paramedic)for a few years will probably help you more than cna/basic emt/medical asst level training of a few months duration.many applicants now are 22 years old with a bs in biology and 6 months as a cna. the ideal candidate has more life/job experience to bring to the table.how that helps-emed p.a. :D

that's supposed to be hope that helps. I will learn to type with more than 2 fingers someday....or not :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are not the most impressive in the world, but are improving as we speak. I currently have a 3.0 GPA, with all A's and one B (in Org/Biochem for Health Majors) in the last 2 semesters. I have 7 years of healthcare as a cna and over a year as a care provider for disabled children with the Easter Seals of America. My volunteer work has been described as impressive, as I have over 500 hours of volunteering with the homeless shelters, humane societies, Meals on Wheels, Special Olympics Head Coach (2 yrs) and numerous hours at the hospital my father worked for. I have a step-mother that is a wonderful caring PA that has been wonderful about answering my questions and allowing me to shadow her on numerous occasions, including the weekly visits to the reservations/free clinics. I want to work in a rural/underserved area much like the one I grew up in, which I have heard is a good goal in the eyes of an admissions committee. Currently, I am employed with the Easter Seals and was introduced as the "most valued employee" at the company picnic. Personally, I think my boss was just trying to butter me up for over-time, but she offered to be a reference (hopefully that helps a little). :D I cannot think of anything else to add, except that I am determined to become a PA and have whole heartedly dedicated my life to the service of others. Now I just want to do so on a more sophisticated level. Thank you for your assistance! Have a wonderful day.

I would have to say that it all sounds pretty impressive to me. I just recently went through the application process and interview, and was notified that I was accepted last week. You really sound like you are serious about the profession and determined to become a PA. One thing that was asked in all my interviews was the extent of my shadowing experience. They really wanted to know how serious I was about finding out what a PA does. Other than that, I would think that your grades and work experience should be enough. Good Luck!!!!

Thank you for the encouraging reply. I am very serious about the profession and will do what it takes to be accepted to fulfill my dreams. Sometimes it is discouraging to read of those accepted with avg. stats of 4.0 and 20 yrs work experience. Oh well, at least when I do get in (someday) I know I will be surrounded by very intelligent people!