University of Massachusetts Medical School - Advice? NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeikoKittyRadioStar

Reaction score
Hello, all! I recently was admitted to the University of Massachusetts Medical School graduate school of nursing program. I will be doing the direct entry FNP program (one year BSN education, three years DNP education while working, MIN 1000 hours as an RN). Has anyone heard about the reputation of the school and its programs? Is it good? Any advice for living in the Worcester area as a broke student and succeeding in this program? What are the coolest places to check out? Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, is it four years to become an NP?
What is the cost?

Ask yourself some pertinent questions....

Is the reputation worth the cost of school, and living in what could be an expensive location for 4 years? (I have no idea if it is expensive, but even if it isn’t, it’s four years of living expenses). Then you’ll be an FNP in a market where many FNPs are struggling to find work that pays more than $100k or less.

You can literally build your own direct entry program from scratch. Go to a year long accelerated bachelors degree program anywhere you want to. Get a job. Get into an NP program (online, hybrid, or in person program.... I prefer to suggest online, and masters degree option instead of DNP). Get done in 3 years and live where you want to while making money and working. Build your own direct entry program and choose your own adventure.

That knowlege I severed up should rock your world and change the way you see your options. You certainly could go to their school, waste time commuting and going to class when you could pour that time into your studies, watching the dumb lectures on double speed, and the good ones on 3/4 speed at your leisure at home, but why?

Reactions: 1 user
Umass Medical School is pretty solid, you will get a good education there, what pamac suggested is not a bad idea either. Do a 15 month accelerated then NP school anywhere you like. A place like Umass Lowell allows you to do that and will cost very little. Not sure how much Umass Medical School would cost. My only advice is, avoid private schools, the cost is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 users