Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRadicals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice as to when to take the MCAT. I am currently in my Junior year and took the MCAT in January 2019, but decided to void. I am planning on applying this cycle for 2020 matriculation and my aim is for DO, but will still be applying to MD schools. When do you think is the latest I can take the MCAT and still be in good shape for this cycle? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Taking in May will get you scores in June. That should still be fine as long as you don't procrastinate in your application.

Consider taking a gap year and taking the MCAT at your leisure sometime in the next year or so. Depending on your summer plans, you might even be able to dedicate the summer to heavy duty studying and if you are ready, then you could take it right before your senior year starts.

You do not want to waste the time and money taking the MCAT again before you are ready. This semester, you need to concentrate on your current coursework in order to maintain a strong junior year GPA. And you need to continue to strengthen your app by volunteering, shadowing, etc. Studying for the MCATs NOW would be an unnecessary and potentially damaging distraction.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider taking a gap year and taking the MCAT at your leisure sometime in the next year or so. Depending on your summer plans, you might even be able to dedicate the summer to heavy duty studying and if you are ready, then you could take it right before your senior year starts.

You do not want to waste the time and money taking the MCAT again before you are ready. This semester, you need to concentrate on your current coursework in order to maintain a strong junior year GPA. And you need to continue to strengthen your app by volunteering, shadowing, etc. Studying for the MCATs NOW would be an unnecessary and potentially damaging distraction.

I second this! It's better to take it when you are 100% ready and can study with fewer distractions.