This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMed777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to preface this by saying that I attended full-time dual enrollment program from 2016 to May of 2018 that allowed to earn an associate degree. Since these credits were completed before my high school diploma was issued, I believe they are considered dual enrollment credits. I'm unsure of how this entire situation looks given this information.

I need help with a decision. I took general chemistry 1 in spring of 2017. In Spring of 2018, I was registered for general chemistry 2, but withdrew for a several of reasons. Now, I'm registered for general chemistry two in the fall, but I'm at a different school. This university required that you take an ACS standardized final exam at the end of the semester that covers the topics learned in chemistry 1 and 2. I know for a fact that I forgot many of the topics from gen chem 1, since it has been a while since I've seen the material. I would essentially have to attempt re-learn material from a year and a half ago, while learning chem 2 or retake chem 1.

Retaking (the W the first time around) chem 2 and failing the ACS exam (worth 30% of the final grade) needs to be weighed against having to take a gap year (at this point, this is what would have to occur if I were to seperately chem 1 and 2). Essentially, it took me two years to get my AA and would take an additional 3 without the retake and no gap year because I would be able to fit in biochem, or 3 with a gap year because of biochem.

How does retaking chem 1 look when I have an A the first time (assuming I pass with an A again) and a withdraw from chem 2? Is this something I would be asked to explain? What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Long time lurker, and just a lowly applicant. Since I'm not an admissions member, I can't say what you should do or how those things would look to an adcom. But I will say: I was also extremely against taking a gap year. However you have to understand now that taking a gap year is becoming more and more the norm, the average med student is somewhere around 24. You want to practice medicine for the rest of your life, so why rush it for one year? My advice: if taking the gap year will allow you to perform to the best of your ability, and will allow you to mitigate negative impacts on your grades, then thats something you need to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker, and just a lowly applicant. Since I'm not an admissions member, I can't say what you should do or how those things would look to an adcom. But I will say: I was also extremely against taking a gap year. However you have to understand now that taking a gap year is becoming more and more the norm, the average med student is somewhere around 24. You want to practice medicine for the rest of your life, so why rush it for one year? My advice: if taking the gap year will allow you to perform to the best of your ability, and will allow you to mitigate negative impacts on your grades, then thats something you need to consider.

Thank you so much for your input! Do you happen to know if there is a way to tag people who work in admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to preface this by saying that I attended full-time dual enrollment program from 2016 to May of 2018 that allowed to earn an associate degree. Since these credits were completed before my high school diploma was issued, I believe they are considered dual enrollment credits. I'm unsure of how this entire situation looks given this information.

I need help with a decision. I took general chemistry 1 in spring of 2017. In Spring of 2018, I was registered for general chemistry 2, but withdrew for a several of reasons. Now, I'm registered for general chemistry two in the fall, but I'm at a different school. This university required that you take an ACS standardized final exam at the end of the semester that covers the topics learned in chemistry 1 and 2. I know for a fact that I forgot many of the topics from gen chem 1, since it has been a while since I've seen the material. I would essentially have to attempt re-learn material from a year and a half ago, while learning chem 2 or retake chem 1.

Retaking (the W the first time around) chem 2 and failing the ACS exam (worth 30% of the final grade) needs to be weighed against having to take a gap year (at this point, this is what would have to occur if I were to seperately chem 1 and 2). Essentially, it took me two years to get my AA and would take an additional 3 without the retake and no gap year because I would be able to fit in biochem, or 3 with a gap year because of biochem.

How does retaking chem 1 look when I have an A the first time (assuming I pass with an A again) and a withdraw from chem 2? Is this something I would be asked to explain? What should I do?
Taking Chem II without a solid recall of the material from Chem I, especially if you do so in a more rigorous academic environment seems unlikely to end well for you. Take your time to lay a solid foundation for success. Retake Chem I. Your reason for doing so is reasonable, but I doubt anyone will ask for an explanation at a future interview.

You need Biochem to do well on the MCAT. Expanding your time horizon also has the benefit of more time to prepare for the test. Take it slowly. Do it right.

Reactions: 1 user
Taking Chem II without a solid recall of the material from Chem I, especially if you do so in a more rigorous academic environment seems unlikely to end well for you. Take your time to lay a solid foundation for success. Retake Chem I. Your reason for doing so is reasonable, but I doubt anyone will ask for an explanation at a future interview.

You need Biochem to do well on the MCAT. Expanding your time horizon also has the benefit of more time to prepare for the test. Take it slowly. Do it right.

Thank you for your advice! I am now retaking the course. You confirmed what my gut was telling me. I was given mixed advice from those at academic and career advising at my university.