advice... step 2 CK!!! diagnostics were no help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketnoe

MD, MHSA, PhD student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, just got my scores back, a little annoyed..

scores / diagnostics:
Overall USMLE WORLD 1st time through - 62% - score estimator: 225
USMLE Provided Sample test: 75% - score estimator: 205
NBME Step2, Test1: 410 - score estimator: 215

what did I really get, that shocked the ******* out of me?!

170?!!!!!!!!

I have no idea what happened, the only thing I can attribute it to is fatigue??

anyone have any advice? I just registered to take it again, but I'm in denial.

Members don't see this ad.

dude i am sorry to hear that. your scores were really very good and its crazy how non of them predicted your final score. May i ask how you studied..meaning did you use kaplan books or just relied on crush or FA or simply did questions. Most people how do well..tend to study from Kaplan and First Aid and do kaplan q banmk and usmle world multiple times. However its very alarming and it shocks me too. I wonder what went wrong. It may have been nerves but it takes a VERY nervous dude to drop 20-30 points from practice tests!!
Well just pick yourslef up againa dn start studying...u can do it!

Sorry to hear about your scores. I might be in the same boat, as I expect mine to be released tomorrow. First, just try to accept that it happened and don't let it lower your confidence for your next attempt. Those predictors are often inaccurate as you know, so maybe you can avoid using them this time around. Your report should indicate where you were strong and weak, so you can use that to guide your prep. The sources I liked the most were FA and Deja for information and QBank for questions. I recommend each of these. If you had trouble sleeping, you can look into OTC sleep aids. I brought many meds to the exam and one that I used and was happy with was generic Vivarin (caffeine pill). I took one pill (with Tylenol, to prevent headache) after blocks 5 and 6. I found they worked very well to prevent fatigue and maintain mental awareness. In retrospect, I should have taken one after block 7 as well.
It would help if you told us how you prepared. Good luck!

I basically relied on Crunch, and USMLE World; went through it one time 60ish, didnt have the time to run through it again (but I didnt worry too much since I HAD passed all the diagnostics) . I may do that another time, and this time review it again. I also bought the LANGE book; just to have a different source to hit and mix up the delivery of information; in an attempt to get it down better.

I really think it was nerves/fatigue, the one thing that bothered me was the length of the passages. I was shocked to have 90% of my passages longer than any on USMLE World; by the time I read it, i forgot the first line and had to get back to it; and thats w doing a quick browse of the answer choices to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the support.. I'm not sure If I should do Kaplan QBank instead of world this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer QBank, but most like UW. You should try QBank, as it's new to you. I do not like Crush at all. Try FA instead, as it's MUCH more detailed! You know things like fatigue, sleep etc can be huge, so make sure you have those things covered; at least you have control over these things! I even thought of buying ColdMD to increase resistance to illness!!

Dude, sorry about the score. I would bet it was due to fatigue, I did 75% of UW with about 65% and ended up with a 223. Maybe Q-bank if you want to do something but I would just make sure you are fresh and don't worry too much about it. Good luck.

Skialta