Advice Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptstudenttobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I recently got accepted to a couple of PT schools in California. I just found out about student doctor network and thought I would be able to get some advice from you all here. I got accepted to Chapman, CSULB, USC, and Western University, however I'm having quite the dilemma in choosing a school. I live closest to Chapman and CSULB and have ruled out Western U. I've sent my deposits to Chapman, CSULB and USC so I still have a spot at those three schools. I've gone through each of the program highlighting each of their pros and cons but am still at a gridlock.

I know that MPT and DPT are primarily the main differences between CSULB and Chapman/USC in addition to cost (~15k/year vs 35-40k/year) I also know that there are really no differences in starting salary between the two entry level graduates. I've visited USC for their info session, but haven't had time to visit CSULB and Chapman so I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding their program. I'm more inclined to attend CSULB due to its cheaper tuition (then getting my t-DPT later) and for having such a well established MPT program, but wasn't sure if the degree type would be a factor in the next few years. Chapman and USC on the other hand are ranked in USNEWS and have awesome facilities. I also read on these message boards that t-DPT's will slowly fade away, so if that's true, then I might as well get my DPT now.

So my questions are:
-My question is, which of these schools should I go to the more expensive DPT or cheaper MPT?
-Any opinions about Chapman or CSULB's programs?
- Do you think that there will be changes in hiring rates in the near future between MPT and DPTs?
- What do you think that status of t-DPT's will be in the future?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to sleep because I've been stressed out making this decision!

Members don't see this ad.

-My question is, which of these schools should I go to the more expensive DPT or cheaper MPT?

From a dollar stand point the MPT. You will graduate sooner and with less debt and be elegible to sit for the boards. However, I believe the DPT program will better prepare you to be a stronger physiotherapist.

That said, I have no knowledge of these programs.

- Do you think that there will be changes in hiring rates in the near future between MPT and DPTs?

I doubt there will be a difference. Once 2020 comes closer I don't know.

I too have heard that the programs will be discontinued. In my opinion this is not a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I recently got accepted to a couple of PT schools in California. I just found out about student doctor network and thought I would be able to get some advice from you all here. I got accepted to Chapman, CSULB, USC, and Western University, however I'm having quite the dilemma in choosing a school. I live closest to Chapman and CSULB and have ruled out Western U. I've sent my deposits to Chapman, CSULB and USC so I still have a spot at those three schools. I've gone through each of the program highlighting each of their pros and cons but am still at a gridlock.

I know that MPT and DPT are primarily the main differences between CSULB and Chapman/USC in addition to cost (~15k/year vs 35-40k/year) I also know that there are really no differences in starting salary between the two entry level graduates. I've visited USC for their info session, but haven't had time to visit CSULB and Chapman so I was wondering if anyone had any info regarding their program. I'm more inclined to attend CSULB due to its cheaper tuition (then getting my t-DPT later) and for having such a well established MPT program, but wasn't sure if the degree type would be a factor in the next few years. Chapman and USC on the other hand are ranked in USNEWS and have awesome facilities. I also read on these message boards that t-DPT's will slowly fade away, so if that's true, then I might as well get my DPT now.

So my questions are:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to sleep because I've been stressed out making this decision!

I think you should get the MPT. The debt you incur pursing your DPT right off the bat is tremendous and from what I have heard from many therapists is that there is no difference in the pay between an MPT and DPT.

I am currently an undergrad student at CSULB but I have been taking some of the PT classes so I'm familiar with the program. I've also toured the facilities at Chapman and I must say that they are pretty impressive. Both schools are fantastic so you can't go wrong with either school to be honest. Personally, I would go with CSULB. I love the campus and the faculty are pretty awesome. The facilities may not be as new as Chapman's but do you really want to be in $80-90k in debt so you can have shiny facilities?

The hiring rate of MPTs may go down but that's probably because most of the programs have convereted to the DPT, so there are more DPT graduates than MPT graduates and not because of the degree itself. In the end, most employers just want to see that you passed the board exam.

With vision 2020, I don't think the t-DPT will be going anywhere anytime soon. There's 3 classes differentiating the MPT and the DPT: Differential diagnosis, radiology, and pharmacolgy. There are plenty of online t-DPT programs designed for the working PT. Rocky Mountain University, AT Still Univiersity, and Temple University are just a few online t-DPT progrmas.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have anymore questions.

BTW what are your stats?

So my questions are:

1. I would go with CSULB. I think saving money in the long run, especially in this economy is the smart decision. It may take as long as the DPT, but starting a career without much dept looming over you will feel great.

2. I have been to both info sessions and both programs seem to be solid. The professors seem to be knowledgeable and the staff are caring. I think with Chapman as everyone stated, you will have more up to date facilities and the school will pamper you a bit more since it is private. I had both my undergrad and grad degrees at state schools and you do get the feeling that you are somewhat pulling yourself through sometimes with no much help. You run around all over campus feeling like a chicken with its head cut off, but that comes with the territory. You just have to be on your game and be more aware of what is going on.

3. There might be changes, but I don't expect anything major to occur within the next 10-20 years. I volunteered at a major hospital in my area and I spoke with the supervisor in outpatient and he told me the mpt vs. dpt is not currently an issue. He said it might be in the future, but he does not look at that when he does hiring currently.

4. I've not heard much about t-dpts, but I don't see why going this route will be a problem. I think it is a good idea for PTs to have more CE and possibly get their dpt, but it should be optional. It should be valid as much as a dpt in my opinion.

So my questions are:

why would you want to go back to school later??..especially when you can get it all done at once in condensed program?..you wont be going to school for that much longer..youll have the highest degree possible..youll be more educated in your field and in the end WILL get paid more?..yeah so you save a little money now..but your still going to have to pay more money to go back and cut back on your hours when you are working to go back to school??..doesnt make sense?..and im sorry i dont care what anyone says if you are coming out of school with a MPT and are applying for the same job as a DPT the only way your going to get hired over them is if you ask for less pay, which would basically be voiding out the cheaper cost of education?
There are seriously like 14 schools left in the nation that dont offer DPT's and most Physical therapist that want to get up to date with 2020 are going back to school to get their DPT..and trust me as a DPT student we are learning things that once you stop going to school you loose it, because its stuff you dont generaly use in a clinic I dont know why anyone would want to go back to school and put themselves in that position if they had the choice?
But good luck with whatever you do choose..and i would be willing to put money on the fact that pretty soon any MPT programs left will be transferring over to DPT's!

youll be more educated in your field and in the end WILL get paid more?

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You may make more money than an MPT grad that finished school a few years ago, but the market is driving that change, not your degree.

but your still going to have to pay more money to go back and cut back on your hours when you are working to go back to school??

Wrong again. t-DPT programs are designed for working clinicians, and many utilize distance learning formats for much of the course work to minimize a busy clinician's time away from home. I've know several PTs who have gone back to get their t-DPT and have continued to work a regular schedule. Also, many employers will offer tuition reimbursement for staff members wishing to obtain their t-DPT.

im sorry i dont care what anyone says if you are coming out of school with a MPT and are applying for the same job as a DPT the only way your going to get hired over them is if you ask for less pay, which would basically be voiding out the cheaper cost of education?

Uh, nope. The salary a potential employer is willing to pay you will be dependent upon how badly they need to fill a position, what their reimbursement rates are and the overall competition for potential employees that exists between that employer and other PT employers in that area. Their primary concern will be how well you interview, what type of clinical experiences you have had, and how well they think you (re: your personality and treatment philosophy) will fit in the clinic.

and i would be willing to put money on the fact that pretty soon any MPT programs left will be transferring over to DPT's!

Exactly. This is why I would choose the cheaper MPT program while I had the option.

I have no gripe against the DPT and the direction the field is headed, but currently, the debt that is typically incurred obtaining the DPT is at odds with the earning potential of therapists in most clinical settings.

Best of luck in your decision.

thanks for all the input guys! i really appreciate it. I was leaning towards CSULB more, but wasn't too sure if getting a MPT was going to be the right choice. I agree that the DPT is a great step towards the progression of the profession, but without direct access being implemented, and insurance companies properly reimbursing for treatments, the progression is very limited. Thank you all once again, and best wishes to you all in the future!

If I had the option, I'll go for the MPT we would get almost the same education, is cheaper and problably in the future if you're working and want to get the t-DPT the place you're workinf for might help you finance it

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You may make more money than an MPT grad that finished school a few years ago, but the market is driving that change, not your degree.

Wrong again. t-DPT programs are designed for working clinicians, and many utilize distance learning formats for much of the course work to minimize a busy clinician's time away from home. I've know several PTs who have gone back to get their t-DPT and have continued to work a regular schedule. Also, many employers will offer tuition reimbursement for staff members wishing to obtain their t-DPT.

Uh, nope. The salary a potential employer is willing to pay you will be dependent upon how badly they need to fill a position, what their reimbursement rates are and the overall competition for potential employees that exists between that employer and other PT employers in that area. Their primary concern will be how well you interview, what type of clinical experiences you have had, and how well they think you (re: your personality and treatment philosophy) will fit in the clinic.

Exactly. This is why I would choose the cheaper MPT program while I had the option.

I have no gripe against the DPT and the direction the field is headed, but currently, the debt that is typically incurred obtaining the DPT is at odds with the earning potential of therapists in most clinical settings.

Best of luck in your decision.

Ok..you can argue every statement, and there is always an exception to everything but, if you walk into an interview with someone who is just as good as interviewer as you, and they have a DPT and you have an MPT..odds are the DPT will get the job! IT is what it is, thats where the field is going. Im not putting down anyone who wants to get there MPT, it just doesnt really make sense to me to get an education and still have to go back and get more when you can complete it all at once! in almost the same amount of time!
Yeah i get that you wont be in as much debt, and that some clinics will work with you on your t-dpt but you still have to study!! and you still have to pay!
average cost of t-Dpt at my school is $26,800 with hours and hours of studying..on top of your career!!??..cool more power to ya if you have that in you but even not working and doing nothing but school im having a hard enough time!
obviously it is up to the individual and for some there are pros and cons to both sides and eventually if all goes right with 2020 vision reimbursments wont be as much of an issue and pay will increase and the level of degree you have will also reflect your pay..EVENTUALLY!
Also just a side note, not sure where you guys are from, but not to long ago i applied for a ptaid job at a clinic named gaspar physical therapy and they are changing there name to doctors of physical therapy. This name change is a reflection of there new policy of only having a strictly DPT staff!! Just saying ..it makes for better advertisement and well lets face it the general population is not always as intelligent as we would want, knowing that all your therapist have their doctorates(not that they necessarily know more or are better therapist) does sound appealing??
If this clinic is doing this, just think Im sure other clinics are doing it as wel!??
ok sorry for the ramble all this pt talk i should get back to studying my anatomy, honestly best of luck whatever you decide because in the end you will still be a physical therapist!

Ok..you can argue every statement, and there is always an exception to everything but, if you walk into an interview with someone who is just as good as interviewer as you, and they have a DPT and you have an MPT..odds are the DPT will get the job! IT is what it is, thats where the field is going. Im not putting down anyone who wants to get there MPT, it just doesnt really make sense to me to get an education and still have to go back and get more when you can complete it all at once! in almost the same amount of time!
Yeah i get that you wont be in as much debt, and that some clinics will work with you on your t-dpt but you still have to study!! and you still have to pay!
average cost of t-Dpt at my school is $26,800 with hours and hours of studying..on top of your career!!??..cool more power to ya if you have that in you but even not working and doing nothing but school im having a hard enough time!
obviously it is up to the individual and for some there are pros and cons to both sides and eventually if all goes right with 2020 vision reimbursments wont be as much of an issue and pay will increase and the level of degree you have will also reflect your pay..EVENTUALLY!
Also just a side note, not sure where you guys are from, but not to long ago i applied for a ptaid job at a clinic named gaspar physical therapy and they are changing there name to doctors of physical therapy. This name change is a reflection of there new policy of only having a strictly DPT staff!! Just saying ..it makes for better advertisement and well lets face it the general population is not always as intelligent as we would want, knowing that all your therapist have their doctorates(not that they necessarily know more or are better therapist) does sound appealing??
If this clinic is doing this, just think Im sure other clinics are doing it as wel!??
ok sorry for the ramble all this pt talk i should get back to studying my anatomy, honestly best of luck whatever you decide because in the end you will still be a physical therapist!

it seems you're a little hostile with the topic but i understand where you're coming from. It just seems like you're nixing the idea that students getting an MPT should be equal to those achieving a DPT. As of right now, there barely any difference between the two, in terms of employment, salary. I've talked to my employer and former ones, and many have said that right now, there is no difference. In the clinic, there is only 1 therapist out of the 8 who has a DPT. Most of the others have an MPT and some have a Bachelors degree. We've recently started hiring again, and from what they've told me, They see many DPT's overpricing themselves out of a job. Some DPT's were even asking for a 6 figure salary, which to them is totally absurd.

So right now, there is no difference in the employment rate, since yes it is the same exam and everyone comes out as physical therapists in the end. What matters to employers is how they see the therapists fitting in the clinic and their people skills. I know this may be a touchy subject to some, but this just the reality of it. Without congress supporting the profession in full force, there won't be a difference for a while. The vision 2020 is just a vision, and it is not certain if this plan for direct access will go though. Once it does then I hink those striving for degrees other than a DPT will see the effects.

As for the t-DPT. Yes you are studying hard, but I feel that if you've been practicing for a couple of years, you've learned quite a bit just from experience. I also think that if you're dedicated enough, then you'll get through it. There are even some online t-DPT programs, so I"m sure there is a lot less pressure. Some of the therapists have even told me that their former employers have offered to pay anywhere from 50-75% of the cost in getting their tDPT if they choose.

I like where the direction the profession is going in helping eliminate uneccesary MD visits before going to the PT. If I had the money, then I would get the DPT, but during this transition it seems, for me at least, that the MPT is the most budget friendly.