Advice on renewing BCPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWrong

Give me knowledge.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boy has it been forever since I've come to this site. Glad to see there are still people who don't believe the market is saturated haha.

Anyway, currently in the process of "paying-to-play" by re-upping my BCPS. I have always felt that I would just take the re-cert exam once the time comes. Well the time has come, but now I see that BPS released a statement in 2018 saying there's no limit on how much CE you can take at one time. Additionally, they have given everyone a 1-year extension given the COVID pandemic.

It would cost me $400 to re-certify by exam. I'm not sure how much it would cost me to re-certify by CE or if it's even plausible at this time.

What would be the cost to take 120 hours of CE? I see it's about $110 for 20.5 hours through ACCP. But they only have 2 modules available currently.
Would it even be possible to get 120 hours by, what I suspect, would be 12/31/2021?

Members don't see this ad.

It might be possible but it would be very expensive. I’m going to just recertify by exam.

How many times can you try on the recertification exam? Your time is probably worth more than the effort it would take to do those modules

It might be possible but it would be very expensive. I’m going to just recertify by exam.

That was my thought all along, but I didn't realize it was $400 to recertify by exam, and that's not including the costs for the study materials, if I decide to buy theem. It appears that the cost for about 20-21 hours of CE is ~$90. So it would only be ~$600 to just do the CE modules.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if it's possible, but the idea of doing 120 hours of CE in a little over a year makes me want to bang my head against a wall. You could always check with ASHP and see what they're offering for CE.

This one is $180 for 50 credits within 12 months, if you are a member: https://www.ashp.org/Professional-D...ba56dccb61ffbadd61dc64d489fd332fde7a8d602842a

I personally prefer doing CE as I go along to keep learning, and don't like the idea of trying to pass an exam again.

Not sure how possible it would be to reach 120 hours within a year without spending at least as much as the exam cost though. Based on this chart it looks like you would have to do almost everything from both ACCP and ASHP.
https://www.bpsweb.org/wp-content/uploads/16337-BPS_CE_Pharmacotherapy.pdf

Sounds like it would be harder than re-certifying by exam at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
studying for the exam to recert is a pain. I took the recert in the fall and failed. Couldn't take it in the spring because they cancelled it due to COVID. now have to study again...