Advice on Reapplication, Doing MD now, was MSTP applicant before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shmo

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

Background:
I've decided to apply MD this cycle, was MSTP in the past. Was waitlisted for WUSTL, Baylor, URochester, Emory, and UIC, but didn't get in previous cycle. I'm a little relieved though because I finished a masters during that application cycle and didn't see myself doing academia with current economic strain on funding.

1. So the question I wanted to ask is this: should I retake the new MCAT 2015? I got a 33 my first time around and felt like I should update the score for the new MCAT. I'm currently signed up to take it in May, but was debating on signing up for a later date for June. The reason I ask is because I started studying pretty late (started in March) and have forgotten most of content, and I have to learn Psych/Socio since I never took. For sciences such as physics, gen chem, and orgo, I can breeze by pretty confidently, but will need to relearn a lot of physio/ biochem/ and some cell bio.

2. How will this affect my application? So if I take MCAT in June, will this delay secondaries and all subsequent actions? Since they will see my old MCAT score, how will this affect application in general? I was still thinking of submitting my application on the first day of opening, so will the new score be present when I submit secondaries?

3. In all honesty after the rejection from the first cycle, I'm not sure what schools I have a chance at this time around, so maybe if I can get a reference for what school's I can apply to as well

Stats:
School: top 10 engineering school, masters in eng
Research - 5 years, REU at MIT, WUSTL med
Volunteering - ~around 200 hours?
Shadowing ~ around 30 hours
GPA - 3.94 in engineering, I think science GPA was 3.99
MCAT - 33 old one
Did some tutoring, youth involvement, and other extracurrics

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the reply, I was wondering if you could expound upon point 2) submit your AMCAS primary early with a single either high reach or throwaway school solely for verification.

So if I decide to retake the MCAT, I should apply early with the old 33 for verification, but what does that mean?

If I also decide to retake MCAT, I shouldn't submit primaries with the 33? Is that because the schools aren't updated with new scores immediately?

If you take it in june, you'll get your score in july. Submitting in July is totally, completely fine. You don't need to worry about submitting significantly earlier. Just take your test in June and wait to see your score before picking your schools and submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a 3.94 as an engineer. That is pretty impressive. You will in all likelihood have to retake the MCAT. June wont be too late, just make sure to submit amcas for verification on first day with all your state schools and then add additional schools depending on your mcat afterwards. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
As @elfe said, you can wait until July until you submit if you choose. However, if you choose to submit earlier, I do not recommend submitting without having your updated scores in hand. What if, for whatever reason. get a significantly worse score or significantly higher that might make you rethink your school list. The way around this is you submit your AMCAS primary with a single school, one that is either a throwaway that you wouldnt take you, like an OOS, or a really high reach that if you got a fantastic MCAT might consider you. You do this in order to get your application verified. Once it has been verified, and you add additional schools after you know your new score, the app will be transmitted in one business day.
Wont OP be considered a reapplicant to the schools OP applied to through the MSTP in a previous cycle?

I know this question lingers prolifically on SDN regarding reapplicant chances and such, but what do you guys think about my chances specifically?

I know this question lingers prolifically on SDN regarding reapplicant chances and such, but what do you guys think about my chances specifically?
Depends on your MCAT. The reapplicant stigma is probably exaggerated on SDN. As long as your stat fall in line and you have fixed what ever else was missing you should have chance at a fair shake, and that is all that one can ask for in the process.