advice on quitting associateship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilin'1216

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on how to go about leaving my current associate position. I know I need to just provide written notice and move on with my life but its something that I'm scared ****less about even though I know it needs to be done. It's my first job. I have been working there since graduation (2 yrs). The main reason I chose was the location and mentorship opportunity (i wanted to do a GPR but didn't get in). The contract is crap, and it's honestly my own fault for signing but I was panicking after graduation. I have truly learned a lot in digital dentistry, and most of all I have built up my communication skills, but tbh I feel like I've lost some basic skills. Everything is done exactly how the owner doc wants, he wants everything to be extremely streamlined and consistent. So materials and methods are his way, not at all how I learned in dental school and there's no room for input or changes if i were to suggest them. I do a lot of fillings, CEREC onlays, crown and bridge, a limited amount of anterior and premolar endo, minimal extractions, and not a ton of dentures. We have had a ton of turnover lately, and possibly even more crucial employees are leaving soon. It is a very toxic environment. I have personally had no issues but have witnessed some serious drama between boss and employees. On top of all of that, my schedule has never been extremely full. I don't run 2 chairs and I'm a little scared at a new position i'm going to be hit with reality and be too slow or overwhelmed. So on top of my compensation being low, I am not busy enough, therefore not making enough money, and with my unreal amount of out-of-state student loans, this isn't working.
I have been working on updating my resume and want to put it out there, I just don't know how to go about it. I would never say anything until I had something locked and signed. One thing to consider, I am on collections. My contract is 90 days notice of leaving, and then 90 days of continued compensation as collections come in. I have seen some employees put in their 2 weeks, but he decides to have them leave ASAP. Anyone have experience with this as an associate? Any advice is appreciated. Also since my contract and pay is pretty much BS, what should I be looking for as I start job searching?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First!
Don't do anything until you get your next job lined up.

Reactions: 7 users
So on top of my compensation being low, I am not busy enough, therefore not making enough money, and with my unreal amount of out-of-state student loans, this isn't working.

I don’t have any advice as I’m just a D4, but I wanted to highlight this portion for any pre-dents reading this.

Members don't see this ad :)
.So on top of my compensation being low, I am not busy enough, therefore not making enough money, and with my unreal amount of out-of-state student loans, this isn't working.
If you are not busy enough and find that you sit around doing nothing too often, then you should ask your boss to put more patients in a day to keep you busy…..and work less days per week. That’s how you can improve your clinical and chair time management skills. Working in less than ideal environment helps you learn more. It’s almost impossible to find an ideal associate job. And with the extra days you have in the week, you can get a part time job at another office to supplement your income.

Reactions: 1 users
First, as saddleshoes says, don’t do anything until you have your next job lined up. What this means is that you need to be determined to leave, no matter what.

Second, go in and give your notice according to your contract. Understand that they may let you go immediately or 2 weeks later, but they still have to pay you for the full 90 days… unless there’s something different in the contract.

If they see value in you, they immediately will want to know what can they do to make things better. I would have a list of these things written down. Don’t be shy. Be respectful. But honestly, it sounds like that would not go very far.

Third, don’t ever, and I mean, never, ever say anything negative about your employer. To anyone. Ever.

Did I say ever?

Finally, I am on my fourth job after my training. And it is the best job I’ve ever had.

Reactions: 4 users
Unfortunately- these kind of jobs are extremely- normal. I have heard worse. This doesn't surprise me at all. If anything I'm more surprised when someone gets a GOOD job. The vast majority of dental associateships are ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if you give your notice- and then somehow he finds a way to stiff you on your paycheck.

Welcome to the real world of dentistry. It sucks, and there's not much you can do about it. Eventually you get fast enough and buy your own practice. Sink or swim, welcome to the thick of it!

Reactions: 3 users
I need some advice on how to go about leaving my current associate position. I know I need to just provide written notice and move on with my life but its something that I'm scared ****less about even though I know it needs to be done. It's my first job. I have been working there since graduation (2 yrs). The main reason I chose was the location and mentorship opportunity (i wanted to do a GPR but didn't get in). The contract is crap, and it's honestly my own fault for signing but I was panicking after graduation. I have truly learned a lot in digital dentistry, and most of all I have built up my communication skills, but tbh I feel like I've lost some basic skills. Everything is done exactly how the owner doc wants, he wants everything to be extremely streamlined and consistent. So materials and methods are his way, not at all how I learned in dental school and there's no room for input or changes if i were to suggest them. I do a lot of fillings, CEREC onlays, crown and bridge, a limited amount of anterior and premolar endo, minimal extractions, and not a ton of dentures. We have had a ton of turnover lately, and possibly even more crucial employees are leaving soon. It is a very toxic environment. I have personally had no issues but have witnessed some serious drama between boss and employees. On top of all of that, my schedule has never been extremely full. I don't run 2 chairs and I'm a little scared at a new position i'm going to be hit with reality and be too slow or overwhelmed. So on top of my compensation being low, I am not busy enough, therefore not making enough money, and with my unreal amount of out-of-state student loans, this isn't working.
I have been working on updating my resume and want to put it out there, I just don't know how to go about it. I would never say anything until I had something locked and signed. One thing to consider, I am on collections. My contract is 90 days notice of leaving, and then 90 days of continued compensation as collections come in. I have seen some employees put in their 2 weeks, but he decides to have them leave ASAP. Anyone have experience with this as an associate? Any advice is appreciated. Also since my contract and pay is pretty much BS, what should I be looking for as I start job searching?
I would start living very skinny. Get a strict budget set so you can get the loans under control. The sooner you are financially free the sooner you won’t have to put up with nonsense

Reactions: 1 user
First, as saddleshoes says, don’t do anything until you have your next job lined up. What this means is that you need to be determined to leave, no matter what.

Second, go in and give your notice according to your contract. Understand that they may let you go immediately or 2 weeks later, but they still have to pay you for the full 90 days… unless there’s something different in the contract.

If they see value in you, they immediately will want to know what can they do to make things better. I would have a list of these things written down. Don’t be shy. Be respectful. But honestly, it sounds like that would not go very far.

Third, don’t ever, and I mean, never, ever say anything negative about your employer. To anyone. Ever.

Did I say ever?

Finally, I am on my fourth job after my training. And it is the best job I’ve ever had.
Agree with everything here. Good advice.

Have a new job lined up before doing anything!

Leaving a job isn't something to be scared of. I had multiple jobs in my first few years trying to find the right fit. Being scared to leave a job is how you end up being taken advantage of and in an unhappy working environment. Leaving a job doesn't have to be a negative thing. You can do everything right for your employer - if you are asking for reasonable things and they decline and you leave, well, you gave them the opportunity and they decided not to keep you. That's on them.

How do you know if you're asking for reasonable things? That's determined by the market. This is why you need to have another job lined up. If another job is offering you these things then it is reasonable. However, you have to be 100% prepared to walk away because your employer has every right to decline.

It is absolutely possible to do this and leave on good terms. It's business

Reactions: 1 user