This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MountainTops

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Come Fall 2020 I will be a sophomore on a pre-med pathway. I've been spending this quarantine to volunteer as much as I can but also to plan something I've been wanting to do for a while. I want to open a non-profit foundation to help cancer patients, specifically children. However, I don't know the first step to go about this. I bet I'll be needing hospital permissions for the hospital of my choice, do I need to reach out and sign forms from the IRS as I plan for this to be non-profit? Do these forms that I sign also need the signature of a lawyer? Has anyone done this before or know about the small little details of carrying it out? It would help me out big time I'm just a bit lost.

Members don't see this ad.

May I suggest to first volunteer in a non-profit to see how things are done? Based on your post, I’m afraid that once money comes in you may have a hard time “running” the foundation. Good luck though - noble cause.

This may be of some use: How to Start a Nonprofit

Reactions: 1 user
Before starting a stand-alone nonprofit, it might be beneficial to partner with a hospital where you can implement your project. You can use the results and rapport from this partnership to grow in the future.

Reactions: 1 users