advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If and when anybody hears from them, via an actual letter, please be sure to post.....waiting is not fun

Members don't see this ad.

The notices have started going out...I received mine today. What a blessing. Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

D.S.

DoctorShaR said:
The notices have started going out...I received mine today. What a blessing. Good luck to the rest of you! :luck:

D.S.

CONGRATS!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am away at school right now and someone told me I received a fedex- did anyone also receive a fedex who both got the award or did not?

thank you,

I got the scholarship!!!
I am still in shock, and at a loss for what exactly I'm supposed to do!
They sent me a FedEx on the 16th, but I was on call in Surgery so didn't get it until today!

I too, got the Fedex mail a couple of days ago and found out that I was awarded an NHSC scholarship. I am so excited and just got home from studying at the library for most of the day. I am so stoked that I am taking the rest of the night off. Good luck to everyone out there still waiting and congrats to everyone for getting the scholarship. :D :luck:

I have a feeling I won't be getting a scholarship......from the rumors I've been hearing about letters and such....I may go to FA tomorrow to talk to them about if I need to take out more loans

jtessier said:
I have a feeling I won't be getting a scholarship......from the rumors I've been hearing about letters and such....I may go to FA tomorrow to talk to them about if I need to take out more loans

Don't give up hope. Your letter may be on the way and hopefully it is good news. Even if it is an alternate letter, you never know who may not accept the scholarship and you may be the one to recieve the scholarship at that time!!!! I will say a prayer for you. Hang in there and good luck! :luck:

Will fed ex leave a letter at your door? Because if they won't leave a letter without someone accepting it then that means I could have missed the letter and still have a shred of hope to cling pitifully to. :( :scared:

Has anybody been rejected yet? I am just so tired of waiting....

last year fed-ex left me a little post-it-note type thing that i could sign giving them permission to leave the packet.

Thanks for smashing my hopes to the ground jhug!! :) :D :laugh:
Oh well guess I can just try next year!! Third times the charm!!!

LloydDObler said:
Has anybody been rejected yet? I am just so tired of waiting....

Yup, just got my rejection letter today. Too bad, I want to do FP in a rural area, but now I will start planning for areas where I can pay off my loans. It would be nice for them to tell you why you're rejected. Anyone know how to get that information?

Members don't see this ad :)
bacmedic...reapply next year! the fact that you got an interview is great! i was told that they are hesitant to take first years for a couple of reasons...first, they want to be sure you can hack medical school and second, it is a lot to ask a first year student to know that they want to do primary care...
if you really are set on pc (especially rural) apply again next year, tell them you know what you are getting yourself into...that this isn't financial aid but a way for the nhsc to help you meet your goal of paying for school while you are helping them by fulfilling the medical needs of the country's underserved.

well now that someone has gotten a rejection letter and I still have nothing at least I know what my fate is......oh well I guess I could try again next year

I received an alternate letter via snail mail on Saturday. It basically says I will be in limbo until September 30th unless my number comes up before that. Of course they didn't really give you a number.....

Does anyone know what the chances are for alternates?

I received my official rejection letter in the mail yesterday, my mom called me today. However, they do encourage me to apply again next year.

Anyone know how the "alternates" deal work? Any way to find out your number on the list??? And finally, if you got rejected or accepted after all from the alternates list, is it a matter of FedEx envelope=yes, normal envelope=no--or do they just never send you a final rejection letter??

Thanks a lot for any insight as I SWEAT MY A$$ OFF WAITING.

Hi again! If any alternates have or will receive an acceptance letter, could you please let us still desperately waiting here on the other side know?? It would mean a lot--especially to know how long it took on the waiting list.

Thanks a lot!

p.s. If the dreaded final rejection letter came following an alternate letter, please share this too if you could be so kind. Thank you.

for those waiting to hear, those of us who were offered the scholarship have until the 7th of september to accept it.

La Fiera said:
for those waiting to hear, those of us who were offered the scholarship have until the 7th of september to accept it.

Thanks a lot, La Fiera--you're awesome!

Once again--if anyone hears about their wait list status changing to either FULL SCHOLARSHIP (yes!!!) or REJECTION OUTRIGHT (no!!!), please share.

THANKS AGAIN, LA FIERA--and CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Congratulations to all the new NHSC scholarship recepients!!!! I am happy and truly blessed to be one of the chosen few to receive the scholarship!!!!! Good luck to everyone, especially those waiting as alternates!!!!! :luck:

voltron77 said:
Congratulations to all the new NHSC scholarship recepients!!!! I am happy and truly blessed to be one of the chosen few to receive the scholarship!!!!! Good luck to everyone, especially those waiting as alternates!!!!! :luck:

Hi voltron77,

Could you please say if you were originally on the alternate list b4 getting the scholarship?

Any other alternates get good news!?!?

Thanks for the (soul) help!

Roady

roady said:
Hi voltron77,

Could you please say if you were originally on the alternate list b4 getting the scholarship?

Any other alternates get good news!?!?

Thanks for the (soul) help!

Roady

Hi Roady...I was accepted out right and was not on the alternate list. Best of luck to you!

Hey Folks,
Just wanted to let all of the alternates out there know that I just received a letter via e-mail that I am off the waitlist and have received the scholarship. My paper letter will be sent out Friday. Best of luck!!

Melvin

melvin said:
Hey Folks,
Just wanted to let all of the alternates out there know that I just received a letter via e-mail that I am off the waitlist and have received the scholarship. My paper letter will be sent out Friday. Best of luck!!

Melvin

Congrats Melvin. That must be great news!

I also was an alternate and just received the news yesterday :D So don't give up hope.

Thanks 4 letting us know...CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!

roady said:
Thanks 4 letting us know...CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!!

Congrats to all those who got in off of the NHSC alternate list!!!! Welcome to the NHSC family!!!!! :)

I don't know if any of you know, but how do we go about getting all the financial stuff straightened out. DHHS sends the money to the school reight, then we return our loans? How do weget reimbursed for the books we already purchased? Thanks.

Depending on who at your school fills out the yearly NHSC expense form, you will get a whopping 2-3K dollar check in the early fall to cover all your books and expenses. For me it was more than enough, and covered board fees as well. The money is automatic and you rarely ever see any problem holding it up. Just remind your school prior to billing time each cycle that you are on the scholarship, because if they forget and bill the NHSC late, you will have grades held up while the money is in transit.

Oh yes, and be absolutely sure to go to Baltimore for the annual "New Scholar's" conference in October. It is well worth the few days, and hec, you get a free trip to Baltimore. Bring every question you can ever think of because you will never see another human again that can help you the way these people can. The entire NHSC staff will be on hand to guide you, but if you are every needing a question answered after that, it would be like calling the Whitehouse and asking to speak to the President.

as for the financial planning, i've always believed that you go to the best school you get into...regardless of costs (there is plenty of loan money for future physicians)

Oh, if only that were true......

Unfortunately, I am now in the position of just starting my 1st year of med school and facing the possibility of not being able to finance the last two years of my education. Never realized how *low* that aggregate cap was until I noticed that I was going to SLAM into it around the end of my 2nd year of med school.

So here I am...looking at the NHSC scholarships. :) Are they sending out apps for next year now? I had planned on applying for one of the loan forgiveness deals after I finished school, but things change. I've got loans from my master's degree and alternative loans are not particularly attractive for a number of reasons (though I'll try to get one if I have to!).

Congrats to those of you who got the scholarships and for all of the wonderful advice that has been posted on here thus far!

Willow

> The National Health Service Corps is pleased to announce the Annual
New
> Scholars Conference. You are invited to participate in the
conference
> November 4-7, 2004 in Hunt Valley, MD.
>
> EVENT OUTCOMES:
> * Scholars will gain a better understanding of the NHSC program
> requirements.
> * Scholars will gain the skills to find and obtain the right position
> to serve their NHSC obligation.
> * New linkages will be established between NHSC Scholars, NHSC
> Ambassadors, and training opportunity programs.
> * Training opportunity sites recruit NHSC Scholars that will meet
> community needs.
> * NHSC Scholars will find training opportunities that prepare them to
> be better Clinicians.
> * NHSC Scholars will gain an understanding of their being part of a
> larger group with the same goal of improving the health of the
> underserved.
> MEET THE ANALYSTS & AMBASSADORS/RECEPTION:
> The conference will open with a networking session that will provide
an
> opportunity to meet with your NHSC Analyst and Ambassador. The theme
is
> the '50s, so come dressed to impress in your favorite jeans, loafers,
> white shirts, saddle shoes, and poodle skirts! Special prize for the
best
> outfit!
> INDUCTION CEREMONY AND PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES:
> The conference will close with a dinner and induction ceremony.
Scholars
> in attendance will receive a certificate of induction from the NHSC
and
> have the moment captured in an individual photo with Dr. Donald
Weaver,
> Director, Division of the National Health Service Corps. There will
also
> be a group photo of all new scholars taken at the end of the
ceremony.
> Dress: Business attire.
> FUNDING ELIGIBILITY:
> NHSC will provide travel, lodging, and meal and incidental allowance
for
> approved NHSC Scholars, Ambassadors, and non-Federal speakers.
Approved
> NHSC Scholars will receive confirmation and travel information via
> upon authorization by NHSC.
> REGISTER NOW! SPACE IS LIMITED!
:luck:

latte01 said:
So again, you MAKE more in the military.

This post got my blood boiling, so I replied to it even from page 1. Apologies in advance. What are you, a recruiter? You can't be for real. Don't even think about this path unless you're hell bent on being in the military for some strange reason. I'll be happy to deflate that rant by PM if anyone wants...

Thread hijack over.

For all of you in the know:

The NHSC website isn't very informative about the specifics of your obligation. My question is whether or not recipients can choose where they will work to fulfill their obligation as long as it is in a location of need as defined by them? Or do they place you when you are done with your residency?

Thanks!

docmartin said:
Once you find out whether or not you got the scholarship, usually in November, you have a week or so to decide.

You can opt to receive the scholarship for a minimum of 2 yrs. So for those not sure about primary care, it's only a 2 yr commitment, but it is their hope that you will stay in that rural/urban area.

once I finish my obligation, I have the option to subspecialize.

1. Wait! You find out in November? Of the year you start school? So your tuition and books can be put on hold until then? Or??? Or do you mean you have to apply for this in March of the year BEFORE you start school? I'm confused...

2. You can subspecialize? What's that? How does it work, in terms of sequence?

Does anybody know how the pay at these underserved areas compares to private practice? Will we be making the same as Drs in private practice or at least close?

How about the military, how much do they pay once you start your service obligation?

I have a question that I haven't been able to get answered elsewhere. Perhaps someone would rather send a private message. Do you know if I receive a small scholarship (say $5k) in addition to the NHSC scholarship, will I be allowed to pocket the money or will that come off the amount that the NHSC will pay? Thanks.

i'm pretty sure most of these questions are on the nhsc site, but i'll do my best to answer them...here is a good link...http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/faq/scholarship_faq.cfm#1
November is really, really late to find out...i got my first big payment in Nov... maybe that is what the person who posted meant (?)...you should find out late aug/early sept. if you got the scholarship.
if you want to sub-specialize you must do your pay back first...so school, residency, payback, sub-specialize
there is a min. of 2 years and there are two-phases to your "assignment/placement"
Phase I is you actively looking for a job on the NHSC list of approved sites (http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/search_form.cfm be sure to select the nhsc opportunities for scholars option)
if you find a place you want to work and they like you, you sign a contract and you are then "assigned/placed" there...you chose, the nhsc approves that the site is underserved, you are done.
Phase II (i think it starts in May of your last year of residency....really late to be looking for a job) is for those who don't find jobs...at this point the NHSC will be sure to find you one. They will work with you on geographic areas and a ballpark of what you like/don't like and they will actually assign you a site. This is their back-up to make sure you fulfill your end of the agreement. By this point the NHSC has invested over $200K in you...they'll be sure you pull through for them:)
It is ILLEGAL for any site to pay you less because you are a scholar...now, some places like pago pago, american samoa probably aren't going to pay you the going rate in the bay area because that doesn't fit the going rate there...(i guess that applies to any job though)
If you get additional scholarships, that is your $$ (the nhsc would have nothing to do with it) Your school may cap you at recieving a certain amount but the nhsc won't lower what they give you because someone esle gave you a different scholarship...

Hey Jhug! Thanks a lot for that really useful, concrete information! Here's another very direct and specific question to which I would love hearing some straight talk back--either from you or anyone else out there who knows:
in terms of ORCs (other reasonable costs) as a 3d year med student, I am receiving roughly 3500 and will get about 4000 next year.
Please chime in with how much you're getting--I want to figure out wether or not I am receiving what I should be, or if the figure is too low. ESPECIALLY if you had to go about getting an increase in this figure, please let me know how you went about increasing your "salary"--I have heard people saying things like $6000/year, and it just makes me wonder if I'm not selling myself short or being sold short, since I will need $$$ for travelling next year to internship sites.

THANKS!!

i'm just a second year so i'm not too sure about the 3rd/4th year orc...$3K seems like a lot of $$ to me...i think i got $1500 this year. It may go up that much next year (i really hope:)) I'll call my coordinator lady and see...
i think i remember hearing that they'll pay us to rotate at SEARCH sites (i think it's $250-300 a rotation, depending on the site) and that they give us $600 for travel...but like i said, i'll call and see.

For those of you on the program, where did you interview?

I got $3,300 my 2nd year, $4,700 my third year, and I am getting the same next year if not more now due to the COMLEX PE.

I interviewed in San Antonio, Tx.

When do they send out the applications? I called them and asked for one over a month ago and haven't received it yet. Do they send them out all at once toward the deadline or what?

iatrosB said:
When do they send out the applications? I called them and asked for one over a month ago and haven't received it yet. Do they send them out all at once toward the deadline or what?

They don't go out until the new year.

If any of you have any questions on the NHSC, please post your questions here and I will do my best to answer them as a current scholarship recipient. Good luck everyone and happy holidays to everyone!

For those of you who are waiting to apply for the National Health Service Corps Scholarship, applications will be out next month - January 2005!!!! Good luck to all those who will be applying. If you need any assistance, just let me know!!!! Happy Holidays everyone!

To claim your FREE iPOD: http://www.freeiPods.com/[email protected]

:idea: :D :luck:

voltron77 said:
If any of you have any questions on the NHSC, please post your questions here and I will do my best to answer them as a current scholarship recipient. Good luck everyone and happy holidays to everyone!

What is the best way to maximize chances to get the scholarship? Any tips?