advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, they're technically not allowed to pay you less than the going rate for whatever you do, so I don't really see how you would be broke.

Secondly, you are right that a lot of people are uninsured. However, accepting the scholarship does not send you straight "to the boonies." Many of the jobs available through NHSC are in urban areas.

Thanks for your opinion though :) You are definitely right that this is a very difficult decision that is worth a lot of pondering and reflection. Also, it's not the end of the world if we don't get the scholarship, as you implied--there are several other programs out there that will allow us to have our loans repaid and work with the underserved.

Have a nice evening! :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to listen to my ramblings, while there may have been some misunderstandings because I tend to express myself in a complicated manor...I mostly wrote it to help me come to terms if I dont get this scholarship.......

.....because its been built up for so long! - all these waves of rejection letters, crazy phone calls, and an ending to all this nowhere in sight. It almost seems like they didn't prepare for everyone to get the same score on their personality test, and now they have to find sneaky ways of getting information about people through program directors and pseudo-interviews.
Its like chinese water torture....make it stop already! If you're gunna kill me, just do it already. I cant see putting myself through all this again next year. I'm at the point where I would be happy either way, and I just wanted to help others get to that point too.

Members don't see this ad.

Aww, *hugs* loving life. It'll be ok either way :) Good luck with classes!

Have a great weekend! :D:D:D:D:D

For all those who received a call, did they leave a message on your voicemail/answering machine?? I may be away from home for a week or so and was thinking of regularly calling my home voicemail...

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing here so far....:( I just wish this would be over, wither way (though I am really hoping I get something):oops:

F.Y.I. -I called the program and found out that if you didn't get a call, you probably aren't going to get it (and they aren't making any more calls at this point). If you did get a call, you still have a chance. Also, letters go out Sept. 28th - rejection and acceptance.

F.Y.I. -I called the program and found out that if you didn't get a call, you probably aren't going to get it (and they aren't making any more calls at this point). If you did get a call, you still have a chance. Also, letters go out Sept. 28th - rejection and acceptance.

That sucks...I will be getting rejected on my birthday (the 28th)...I didn't get a phone call. At this point, I have such a bad taste in my mouth for the NHSc, that I may not even do LRP. They have made this so wrong on so many different levels....I hate that they have made me this way....:(

I also called the program and was told more definitively that anyone who did not receive a call will NOT be accepted. Those who did receive a call may OR may not be accepted.

Brad

Yes, good luck to those that are awarded, and good luck in your endeavors!:D

Yes, good luck to those that are awarded, and good luck in your endeavors!:D

I second that....best of luck to everyone and I am looking forward to seeing who on here will be joining our NHSC family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:luck:

Just wanted to say congratulations to all those who got the call! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
FedEx dropped off an envelope today and I was awarded the scholarship! (Last week I had a fortune in my fortune cookie that said "you will receive a large inheritance soon"...maybe it was a sign.)

Best of luck to everyone.

I just got a letter saying I didn't get the scholarship, congrats to those who got it. But....I'd just like to say WOO HOO!! I feel relieved, and I'm actually glad they didn't pick me for it...they've basically made my decision for me - no regrets about not applying, I can live wherever I want, and pay back my debt just like everyone else.

on the flip side...its just too bad they dont offer more of these scholarships, cause I think they could really get a lot more people living in the underserved areas.

FedEx dropped off an envelope today and I was awarded the scholarship! (Last week I had a fortune in my fortune cookie that said "you will receive a large inheritance soon"...maybe it was a sign.)

Best of luck to everyone.

congrats!! Were you one of the ones that got a call? I won't be home till after hours for packages. But congrats to you! I hope everything goes well for you!

I cannot access page 17 for some reason.

I cannot access page 17 for some reason.

I don't think there was one yet. I have noticed this forum will show the next page number before there is actually a next page. But I guess I will be the first to post this page now!:cool:

I got my FedEx acceptance today. They sent it 3-day express on the 25th. Kind of short notice because the letter inside says to respond within 7 days of the date of the letter (which would be Tuesday Oct 2nd) and some of you may not get it until Oct 1st! Good luck to everyone else! I'm in Philly BTW and I did receive the phone call.

Congrats Marshall. I was selected as well and feel very fortunate today.

congrats to all who did get it! I got my no letter on Friday, which was expected, since I never got a call:cool: But I am happy for those that did get selected. I hope everything wroks out well for ya'll!

Congrats to everyone who made the "yes" list. For those of you who didn't get the answer you wanted...here's to next year.:luck:

the letter inside says to respond within 7 days of the date of the letter...

Isn't that within 7 days if you intend to decline the award? I'd hate to go thru all this waiting and torment to receive a scholarship and then turn it down...

-will

Yes, you do not need to contact them if you are accepting the award. I called to verify with them today. I thought the short time limit was strange as well, but I guess the entire process has been. Congrats to everyone who received it and best of luck to the others.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm pretty sure there aren't any award letters going out anymore, but I still have yet to receive a dear john letter.

I am still waiting and so are the other 7 people in my class who applied. One of them called and they said that they would send out more letters next week. I may be mistaken, but I think she said they would be sending out more rejections.

K, I finally got my no-go letter today in the mail. Better late than never.

GL to everyone else and to next year's applicants!

Does anyone know what the salary of psychiatrist is coming out of this program? I've heard the range is from 60k-90k. Is that right?

The salaries are listed on the job search site as either "locally competitive" or nationally competitive". I don't know about psychiatry in particular but you could email some sites directly.

I'm officially a no. But I gave up long ago... I'm not reapplying since it's not worth it for me anymore.

Hope others have better luck!

Congrats to everyone that got the scholarship this year, and I'm sorry to those who didn't! I am about to embark on this journey (which looks to be extremely stressful, judging from this thread), and I have a question.

I am going to DO school next year- I have been accepted to several programs and am considering finances heavily in my decision. When you apply for the scholarship, you obviously don't recieve an answer until well after you have started medical school. So do you apply for financial aid and everything as if you don't have it? What happens with those federal/private loans once you are rewarded the scholarship? I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, rooting through all this info is intimidating. :)

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys,

I'm plan on applying for the great opportunity, however I would like some clarifications before proceeding.

1) am I correct when I say that if accepted, they will cover 4 years of school for 2 years of service?

2) if the scholarship is awarded upon matriculation to dental school, & they pay for all 4 years, how does one determine where you have to serve? I.e. are u expected to serve in an area with a high score like 26 or anywhere just as long its above 17...what's the criteria?

thanks!

I am going to DO school next year- I have been accepted to several programs and am considering finances heavily in my decision. When you apply for the scholarship, you obviously don't recieve an answer until well after you have started medical school. So do you apply for financial aid and everything as if you don't have it? What happens with those federal/private loans once you are rewarded the scholarship? I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, rooting through all this info is intimidating. :)

You apply for loans, just in case you don't get the scholarship. If you do get the scholarship, the school will reimburse you, and you can return your loans to the government/private lender. Any interest that you've accumulated while waiting to be awarded the scholarship, though, must be paid by you.

1) am I correct when I say that if accepted, they will cover 4 years of school for 2 years of service?

2) if the scholarship is awarded upon matriculation to dental school, & they pay for all 4 years, how does one determine where you have to serve? I.e. are u expected to serve in an area with a high score like 26 or anywhere just as long its above 17...what's the criteria?

1) If you are accepted, they will cover FOUR years of school in exchange for FOUR years of service.

4 years of school -- 4 years of service.
3 years of school -- 3 years of service.
2 years of school -- 2 years of service.
1 year of school -- 2 years of service.

2) I'm not sure what the criteria is for dentists. The government rates each area, based on how badly it needs physicians/dentists/nurses/etc. If the rating is above a certain number, then you can work there. But the ratings can change from year to year.

Any pre-dental students looking into Public Health service?

thanks!

You get to put in where you'd like to be, but ultimately for all programs the NHSC has the final say. They need people in places rated a 26 more than they need people in an area with a 17, so more than likely if no one wants to go to the 26 someone will be assigned to go there, even if they don't want to. Each year there is a list submitted to the NHSC that you can choose from the year you are done. You should also know that the pay when you get to the site is "locally competitive", which means whatever they can afford to pay you. If you're in a rural area it might be okay, since cost of living may be lower. However, you should also take into account paying back undergraduate loans and the like. There's a lot of

Also, if you get assigned somewhere you don't like, it doesn't matter. When I asked about it, they told me you're stuck there to finish your 4 year assignment. There's no changing from site to site. You night want to call the number on the site and talk to a real person before you sign away four years of your life. Remember, the four years doesn't begin until after you have completed your residency/internship in primary care (denistry, medicine, etc.). I know that recently there has been a lot of talk about moving towards the repayment programs and not the scholarship. Why? Disillusioned students. I am in my second year. I have no idea where I want to be in 7 years. But basically I would be signing up now for 7 years from now a four year committment to live in an area that needs me. What if in those 7 years I get married? Have kids? Etc.etc.etc. BUT, if I sign up for it 7 years from now, all those variables will be in place. And when I sign up, I'll be happier in the end.

I don't want to talk people out of the program. It's fantastic. I myself come from an area in Ohio ranked a 20, and I know that there are great benefits to it. I applied this year, but I will not be applying next year. I have talked to them a lot, and I think that for me waiting is a better option.

I was actually lucky enough to be offered a scholarship this year. I have done a lot of research about the NHSC and their scholarship. I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the NHSC scholarship program. First, from my experience, if you call the toll-free number to get information you're going to be talking to a receptionist -that's all. They have very limited knowledge. The reason I know is because after I recieved a scholarship, I was assigned a "case worker". Now, when I have questions, I call her (She's awesome. She even gave me her cell phone# to contact her directly whenever I have questions). She gets irritated though because the receptionists are always giving bad information that she has to continually clear up. The point is, if you call the toll-free #, don't believe everything they tell you. As an example, the receptionists didn't even know that phone calls where being made this year as part of the selection process. In fact, they told some students that the NHSC would not do this!?! The receptionists were totally wrong though. Very confusion and frustrating...So, here is what I know.

You get to put in where you'd like to be, but ultimately for all programs the NHSC has the final say. They need people in places rated a 26 more than they need people in an area with a 17, so more than likely if no one wants to go to the 26 someone will be assigned to go there, even if they don't want to. Each year there is a list submitted to the NHSC that you can choose from the year you are done....You don't get placed by the NHSC. They cannot fill every available position every year. It is understood that some will go unfilled, no matter how needy the location is. YOU chose where you go (UNLESS-you don't meet the time requirement for securing a job, only then will the NHSC place you). Otherwise, you MUST go and interview/negotiate just like any other job. You have to secure your own job at the location of your choosing. This is stated clearly on the NHSC website. They even have links to resume, interview, and salary negotiation tips.

Also, if you get assigned somewhere you don't like, it doesn't matter. When I asked about it, they told me you're stuck there to finish your 4 year assignment. Yes, you are stuck in the location that you chose. But once again, you do not get placed by the NHSC UNLESS you fail to secure a job on your own with in the alloted time (I think you have 6 months after you graduate). The requirement for the job you secure is that it has an HPSA score of atleast 14 (Dentist must match with an HPSA of atleast 18 or higher). There's no changing from site to site. You night want to call the number on the site and talk to a real person before you sign away four years of your life. Remember, the four years doesn't begin until after you have completed your residency/internship in primary care (denistry, medicine, etc.). I know that recently there has been a lot of talk about moving towards the repayment programs and not the scholarship. Why? Disillusioned students. I am in my second year. I have no idea where I want to be in 7 years. But basically I would be signing up now for 7 years from now a four year committment to live in an area that needs me. What if in those 7 years I get married? Have kids? Etc.etc.etc. BUT, if I sign up for it 7 years from now, all those variables will be in place. And when I sign up, I'll be happier in the end.

I don't want to talk people out of the program. It's fantastic. I myself come from an area in Ohio ranked a 20, and I know that there are great benefits to it. I applied this year, but I will not be applying next year. I have talked to them a lot, and I think that for me waiting is a better option.

I hope this info helps anyone interested. Mind you, this info is for the scholarship- NOT the loan repayment program. That's a different animal altogether. I don't know very much about that. Here's a link to more info on the shcolarship though:

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/#schol

-will cable

Part of the problem a few years ago was that many scholars applied for the same position, (which only one can get) and were then "placed" by the NHSC because their time to choose were up before they could submit information and get confirmed at another site. The sites on the NHSC list are not exclusive to NHSC Scholars. The sites are on our list because they have a vacancy to fill. Scholars should be aware that they are competing for these opportunities with non-NHSC clinicians. I spent 3 years researching the program, emailing scholars and sites, etc.

The receptionists the NHSC hires *are* misinformed a lot...It would almost be better if they didn't answer at all. There is an email address, and that worked to get me some clearer answers.

Congrats cableguy on getting the scholarship!

I was actually lucky enough to be offered a scholarship this year. I have done a lot of research about the NHSC and their scholarship. I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about the NHSC scholarship program. First, from my experience, if you call the toll-free number to get information you're going to be talking to a receptionist -that's all. They have very limited knowledge. The reason I know is because after I recieved a scholarship, I was assigned a "case worker". Now, when I have questions, I call her (She's awesome. She even gave me her cell phone # to contact her directly whenever I have questions). She gets irritated though because the receptionists are always giving bad information that she has to continually clear up. The point is, if you call the toll-free #, don't believe everything they tell you. As an example, the receptionists didn't even know that phone calls where being made this year as part of the selection process. In fact, they told some students that the NHSC would not do this!?! The receptionists were totally wrong though. Very confusion and frustrating...So, here is what I know.

I hope this info helps anyone interested. Mind you, this info is for the scholarship- NOT the loan repayment program. That's a different animal altogether. I don't know very much about that. Here's a link to more info on the shcolarship though:

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/#schol

-will cable

I'm planning to apply for the NHSC scholarship starting this coming school year, and I'm guessing this is the thread to post in? Looks like the new application isn't out yet according to the website. Does anyone have information on when it's going to be out? Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. I havent been on this site for a while but I wanted to reapply for the scholarship for 2008. When are the applications available?

I was wondering the same thing. I havent been on this site for a while but I wanted to reapply for the scholarship for 2008. When are the applications available?

Applications are usually available in the fall - I think they first come out in September or October. They're due in March, generally.

Hmm I can't find the application on their website. I guess I'll call them sometime next week.

Hmm I can't find the application on their website. I guess I'll call them sometime next week.

Their applications are not available on the website. In fact, I don't think you can even request an application on their website. The application is a scantron sheet, basically - a lot of bubbles that require a good #2 pencil. You can request an application by calling their phone number, and reciting your address to a computerized operator.

I called NHSC and the applications for the 2008 school year are not available. I wanted to reapply. They said they are working on putting the applications online this year and they took down my information and said they were giving interested people an email when the applications become available. Thats all I got from them. I hope I get it this year.

So I just called the National Health Service Corps main line and the automated message said that the application is not available now and that they expect it to be out in February (I wonder if it's still going to be a March deadline). They also said that it's going to be an online application this year.

Anyone think they'll skip interviews this year too?

I signed up to get the email once the app becomes available, but I'm skeptical that they'll actually notify, so I'm planning on checking the website a lot.

Really curious to hear from scholars who are currently serving.

Havent seen ANYTHING recent on the job interview process and whether it was difficult to land a position you liked. If you look at the jobs available, it seems like it would be easy to find a FM/DO/IM job that you liked, but I don't know if that reflects reality or not.

I'm ready for the app to be available also...I'm intending to do rural medicine anyway...may as well have someone else pay for my school:)

are we all still waiting for the application to become available?

Yes...Fall/Winter 2007 my ass...

Anyone hear anything about when the application will be out? My financial aid guy at my new school told me it should be out last week in Jan, but I check every day and nothing.

Thanks,

HD

how are they ever going to have time to interview ppl if the application is due in march?