Advice on my school list? 3.89 and 33Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McNCheese

TY
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in spring 2011 with a BA in chem from a small liberal arts school.
cGPA is 3.89, sGPA is 3.87, and MCAT is 33Q, Michigan resident.

ECs
-Research in the same lab for 3 summers - 2 poster presentations at national conferences, and my senior thesis.
-40 hours volunteering with American Cancer Society - talking to patients in the hospital about ACS resources. (one summer)
-40 hours volunteering at a free clinic (one summer)
-15 hours shadowing a cardiologist
-Member of student senate for 3 years, with a position on executive board senior year
-Study abroad for six months. Included a 6 week lab internship.

Work experience
-I worked as a tutor in the math/science center for sophomore and junior year.
-I worked in the chemistry stockroom for 2 years, around 12 hours a week.

Awards/Recognition
-National Science Foundation Scholarship (all four years of undergrad)
-Scholarship given to one student in the chem department for academics/citizenship (junior and senior year)
-Japanese Honor Society Award
-Phi Beta Kappa
-Graduated with Honors in chemistry

Gap year
I am currently serving in an Americorps position - I work full-time (around 50 hours a week) fora program that serves as a college access program for low-income first gen high school students. I tutor math and science, lead college visits and workshops for college essays, and lead after school enrichment programs.

I have been training for a position as a Hospital Magician since March. I will begin volunteering in the hospital at ~4 hours a week in late May/early June.

I have quite a few reach schools, any suggestions of good target schools?

Schools:

Michigan State
Wayne State University
Umichigan
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
Uchicago
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Tufts
U Rochester
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated in spring 2011 with a BA in chem from a small liberal arts school.
cGPA is 3.89, sGPA is 3.87, and MCAT is 33Q, Michigan resident.

ECs
-Research in the same lab for 3 summers - 2 poster presentations at national conferences, and my senior thesis.
-40 hours volunteering with American Cancer Society - talking to patients in the hospital about ACS resources. (one summer)
-40 hours volunteering at a free clinic (one summer)
-15 hours shadowing a cardiologist
-Member of student senate for 3 years, with a position on executive board senior year
-Study abroad for six months. Included a 6 week lab internship.

Work experience
-I worked as a tutor in the math/science center for sophomore and junior year.
-I worked in the chemistry stockroom for 2 years, around 12 hours a week.

Awards/Recognition
-National Science Foundation Scholarship (all four years of undergrad)
-Scholarship given to one student in the chem department for academics/citizenship (junior and senior year)
-Japanese Honor Society Award
-Phi Beta Kappa
-Graduated with Honors in chemistry

Gap year
I am currently serving in an Americorps position - I work full-time (around 50 hours a week) fora program that serves as a college access program for low-income first gen high school students. I tutor math and science, lead college visits and workshops for college essays, and lead after school enrichment programs.

I have been training for a position as a Hospital Magician since March. I will begin volunteering in the hospital at ~4 hours a week in late May/early June.

I have quite a few reach schools, any suggestions of good target schools?

Schools:

Michigan State
Wayne State University
Umichigan
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
Uchicago

Yale Tufts
U Rochester Dartmouth Mt. Sinai
Your list looks good, though you look a little light on the clinical experience, mostly because you don't have anything other than single-summer activities listed. Other than that, the school choices look good. I would bet Wayne and MSU will be no problem, and despite your MCAT being somewhat below the mean at U of M, the fact that it is IS for you could give you a good chance. Not sure what other schools would be good "target" schools, since you already hit the in-state MD schools (Oakland doesn't give in-state preference). :luck: