Advice on how to find a job, background problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmyy252017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently just received my license in 2017, been applying everywhere and anywhere in my state. I have 2 things on my background. both misdeam but one of them is a drug related charge (selling)... Im not involved in that anymore whatsoever.. so I get past the interview part and got accepted to 2 jobs, but for each of them they did a background check then changed their mind after seeing that :(. I ordered my uniforms and did training days and everything.. What should i do? my state doesn't do expungments either, only set asides which i am in the process of doing right now. Anyone have any advice? I want to work somewhere using my pharm D license and don't want to waste my education/time/money/schooling/etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Tough situation--your best bet is to be upfront in interviews, tell the interviewer what you got in trouble for and why they should believe you when you say you have left that part of your life behind. Many still won't want to take a risk with you, but your chances of finding someone who will will be greater, if you are upfront about it. You have nothing to lose, you know they will find out about it anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Your only chance is taking a job absolutely no one else wants. And with this market, good luck. I doubt chains will take the risk. Best bet is an independent pharmacy where you can convince the owner.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the offenses take place prior or after acceptance to pharmacy school? I don't have any additional advice to offer other than maybe find the best lawyer in your city and see if you can somehow hide these offenses... reasons I ask about timing when it happened is we get a ton of prepharmacy students who come here and ask if they will get rotations and if they should attend pharmacy school. Advice that you provide maybe be very helpful for others.

How does this happen? Someone should've stopped or advised you from going to school if you have such an obvious red flag in your background.

Reactions: 3 users
The issue is probably not that you have this on your record, but that you weren't upfront about it. You should have mentioned it in the interview, and let the chips fall wherever they may.

Reactions: 1 users
How does this happen? Someone should've stopped or advised you from going to school if you have such an obvious red flag in your background.

The Boards can be convinced to allow licensure when the past is really in the past. Come as you are but do not stay as you are has longstanding precedent as not all of us have sterling backgrounds. That said, employers can and will legally discriminate against a convict especially with control issues already a problem. If Op has an "Open" status license, the Board does consider him/her to have an unrestricted practice.

To the Op, I agree in general, but consider applying (with move) to a practice that doesn't require controlled substances access as they're probably more willing to consider the matter. Paywise, you're in a bad position.

Try independent, they are more lenient in hiring. A lot of them don't dig deep enough, or skip background check all together and sometimes will hire less than stellar background rph. Sometimes, they are quite desparate for a licensed rph in sh1tty town where no one wants to go.

This guy got stringed along...probably because he has $200 k student loan price tag on his head.

He passed his naplex and he is licensed. That is all it matters to his school. Whether or not he can find work...well, that is his problem.

That is why you gotta do your own research. If you got convicted of beating a child then don't become a teacher. Do something else. It is that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I recently just received my license in 2017, been applying everywhere and anywhere in my state. I have 2 things on my background. both misdeam but one of them is a drug related charge (selling)... Im not involved in that anymore whatsoever.. so I get past the interview part and got accepted to 2 jobs, but for each of them they did a background check then changed their mind after seeing that :(. I ordered my uniforms and did training days and everything.. What should i do? my state doesn't do expungments either, only set asides which i am in the process of doing right now. Anyone have any advice? I want to work somewhere using my pharm D license and don't want to waste my education/time/money/schooling/etc...

Id go independent route, contract for pbm or call center.
With a drug sale conviction it truly is not in the best interest of a retailer to let you around controlled substances.

Actually I'd say do any residency that will take u then you can become a prof maybe

And here I thought that past histories like being a call girl, OTH discharge, and a past thief could redeem themselves in a more respected way (all the above were in my class, one of the ex-call girls is one of Walgreens few clinical pharmacists). Guess times have changed which is a shame.

As far as academia, yes, but you still have to clear the background investigation. So, no child issues or sexual assault in your background.

You're fooked. Try jobs in big pharma or independent

All of these comments saying to go Independent are a special edition of "Opinions From The Orifice"

If it's not one of... those independents owned by... those people, you bet your ass they're running a background check.

You'd better bet the asses of everyone you know that we're asking opinions of you from all of your classmates, every single pharmacist in town that we trust, and probably Varys and Littlefinger too just for good measure.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All of these comments saying to go Independent are a special edition of "Opinions From The Orifice"

If it's not one of... those independents owned by... those people, you bet your ass they're running a background check.

You'd better bet the asses of everyone you know that we're asking opinions of you from all of your classmates, every single pharmacist in town that we trust, and probably Varys and Littlefinger too just for good measure.

Are those independents more common in your trade area or non-those?

Are those independents more common in your trade area or non-those?
The worst one in the Austin area recently closed.
Generally, I learned to ask the owner if they consider themselves an "entrepreneur" as opposed to a healthcare professional.

The "entrepeneurs" are the ones who are willing to fill whatever, no matter what.

They're the ones that go to jail for billing Tricare $17,000 for a scar cream.

Reactions: 5 users
The worst one in the Austin area recently closed.
Generally, I learned to ask the owner if they consider themselves an "entrepreneur" as opposed to a healthcare professional.

The "entrepeneurs" are the ones who are willing to fill whatever, no matter what.

They're the ones that go to jail for billing Tricare $17,000 for a scar cream.
Luckily, for op, there are a lot of people out there like that. Even more so than usual in independents, that's why they open their own store in the first place. The "smart" one exist in gray area and never raise an eyebrow, never get caught. The stupid one bill $17k for a cream.

Tough situation--your best bet is to be upfront in interviews, tell the interviewer what you got in trouble for and why they should believe you when you say you have left that part of your life behind. Many still won't want to take a risk with you, but your chances of finding someone who will will be greater, if you are upfront about it. You have nothing to lose, you know they will find out about it anyway.

Yeah I kinda messed that up for the 1st job I got. When I came into the office they had me fill out an application, when they ask the question, "have you ever been convicted of a mideam/felony.." I only put the DUI and not the drug charge.. The owner was standing over my shoulder and waiting for me to finish the application to give me a tour of the facility, so i didn't want to pull out my phone and search for the exact date that the offense happen, was really uncomfortable because he was waiting and I felt rushed. I then called my lawyer and found out that it was still in the process of being set aside or "forgiven" by the courts because I started the process a month ago and was not sure how it would look when the background check came back, so i found all that information out. After the training days, he offered me the job and had me fill out the new hire paperwork. I then, in his office personally told him about the offense, but I didn't specify it, I just said marijuana charge (didn't say selling...). He told me that he wouldn't hold it against me since I told him about it before the background check was done, he wrote it down on the application. I think he was under the impression that it was possession or paraphernalia, but not selling... After the background check came back, another person called me (not him) and withdrew my job offer... on the 2nd job offer, I wrote everything and explained everything in detail of what happened on the application the first time. It was an online application and not a paper one where the owner of the company is standing over your shoulder. This one was for a major chain also rejected.

Last edited:
Your only chance is taking a job absolutely no one else wants. And with this market, good luck. I doubt chains will take the risk. Best bet is an independent pharmacy where you can convince the owner.

My friend, I'm in a position right now where Ill move to ANY state in the US and take ANY job that I can use my pharm D for.. Idc if its in Houston recovering from the hurricane or some Midwest low population city... If anyone knows anywhere I can go PLEASE let me know. I need to find an equal opportunity employer. I'm even putting lower numbers than average for the expected salary question on the applications... The more denials I get, the more I get an uneasy feeling in my stomach that everything I did in my life was for nothing...

Last edited:
Did the offenses take place prior or after acceptance to pharmacy school? I don't have any additional advice to offer other than maybe find the best lawyer in your city and see if you can somehow hide these offenses... reasons I ask about timing when it happened is we get a ton of prepharmacy students who come here and ask if they will get rotations and if they should attend pharmacy school. Advice that you provide maybe be very helpful for others.

The offense happened when I wasn't enrolled in school (took a year off because of family matters). So i technically was not enrolled, this is how I was still able to get financial aid, if I was still enrolled in school while this happened, I would not be able to get FAFSA and would have to take personal loans from 3rd party loan companies with a co-signer most likely.

Last edited:
The Boards can be convinced to allow licensure when the past is really in the past. Come as you are but do not stay as you are has longstanding precedent as not all of us have sterling backgrounds. That said, employers can and will legally discriminate against a convict especially with control issues already a problem. If Op has an "Open" status license, the Board does consider him/her to have an unrestricted practice.

To the Op, I agree in general, but consider applying (with move) to a practice that doesn't require controlled substances access as they're probably more willing to consider the matter. Paywise, you're in a bad position.

I had to appear in front of the state board before I took my licensing exam. They voted in favor of me proceeding to get my license and thus I passed both of my state board exams on the first attempt (I took the test about a year after I graduated because the whole process took so long and other person matters).. This was really embarrassing.. All the board members laughed in my face.. I think I need to move to a different state to find a job..

Last edited:
Open your own pharmacy if you can get the starting capital.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
This is a time when you need to use your contacts. This is why networking is so important. Call the people you know - went to school with, worked under, whatever - and ask them if their place of business is hiring and if they will vouch for you. A personal recommendation by a current employee will go a long way.

Luckily, for op, there are a lot of people out there like that. Even more so than usual in independents, that's why they open their own store in the first place. The "smart" one exist in gray area and never raise an eyebrow, never get caught. The stupid one bill $17k for a cream.

Nope, that's dumb.

There are many, many easier options for making money illegally than via pharmacy.

Even Dr. M only made 5 million to be split amongst who knows how many.

The reality is that most are barely surviving and aren't to keen on gambling their business /licenses / lives to do "shady" , stuff.

Furthermore, the majority in my state are even less likely to hire someone who is more likely to steal.
Because, you know, it's their money.

Last edited:
another interview.. this time I mentioned it in the interview before they did the background check.. he ended the interview immediately after I mentioned it.. I was likely to get hired before I mentioned the background issue..

I know of somebody who was in a similar situation as OP (went to prison for selling drugs, then went to pharmacy school) because he applied to my chain pharmacy and was rejected in a similar way. I just looked at the board license verification and apparently he got a job with Fresenius and then a behavioral hospital, so it is possible, amazingly enough.