Advice on how to approach Step 1 studying. Been getting 190s before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey all, currently prepping for Step 1. I'm an MS3 and already completed COMLEX, waiting for that score. I am going to try to take Step 1 as I did not take it since my NBMEs were low are 190s... I was using FA, UWORLD, Pathoma, and Sketchy... essentially doing what everyone says one should do. However I am just going to try again....
Any advice on how to approach my studying for Step 1? I have plenty of time to study for Step 1 and I could take Step 1 either this December or next May in time to apply for residencies. I feel that studying for Step 2/Level 2 and doing the online curricula for my rotations really helps me to understand the Step 1 material. So any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the same boat as you but getting flat 200s. Didnt take step 1 until a few months ago as a third year and got above avg step score which i couldve never achieved end of second year. I lined up 2 easy electives so that I could study for step near the end of 3rd year. I didnt do anything special, did not study for step 1 at all third year and just studied for shelves. Then the 8 week elective was essentially my dedicated.

You dont need an 8 week elective though, lots of people i know do zanki and memorize it the whole year and take it at the end of third year. Shelf material do overlap, its easier to figure out the diagnosis.

I was in the same boat as you but getting flat 200s. Didnt take step 1 until a few months ago as a third year and got above avg step score which i couldve never achieved end of second year. I lined up 2 easy electives so that I could study for step near the end of 3rd year. I didnt do anything special, did not study for step 1 at all third year and just studied for shelves. Then the 8 week elective was essentially my dedicated.

You dont need an 8 week elective though, lots of people i know do zanki and memorize it the whole year and take it at the end of third year. Shelf material do overlap, its easier to figure out the diagnosis.
what is a good zanki to use?

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have a long time to prep, I think using some form of Zanki deck would best! You could check the guide in my signature for more advice about my studying techniques, test taking strategy and more.

You say you were using FA, Pathoma, sketchy, Uworld - How exactly were you using them? Can you describe it more specifically?

So those people take it right after a period where they can only study half days without taking a real dedicated?