Advice on DAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisDAT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I just took my DAT today, and I'm bummed about my QR and GC scores, as they brought down my AA. I was average/decent in everything else. I've always struggled with math on standardized tests, and it didn't help that I was SUPER nervous.. like to the point where I couldn't eat or sleep. Here is the breakdown of my scores:

Perceptual Ability: 18
Quantitative Reasoning: 15
Reading Comprehension: 20
Biology: 18
Gen. Chem: 16
Organic Chem: 18
Academic Average: 17
I already know I need to retake the DAT. I watched Chad's Videos and took practice tests on Bootcamp before my exam. Would doing problems in Destroyer be beneficial for next time, or is there any advice for how I could improve my scores as someone who isn't naturally good at math?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, destroyer QR and Math destroyer. And you should do those a couple of times (twice maybe?) but your grades are good! don't let SDN freak you out. a 17 AA is the avg for a bunch of schools and some school take applicants from 16 AA to a 23 AA (based on the ADEA guide I'm currently reading lol)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, destroyer QR and Math destroyer. And you should do those a couple of times (twice maybe?) but your grades are good! don't let SDN freak you out. a 17 AA is the avg for a bunch of schools and some school take applicants from 16 AA to a 23 AA (based on the ADEA guide I'm currently reading lol)

Thank you so much for your advice! Yes, it's really discouraging reading through here sometimes haha I've learned to take things with a grain of salt. But I will definitely try Destroyer next time. I also think I spent too much time on content review and not enough time just working through problems and taking practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
First things first, keep your head up! You have a DAT score now and know what you need to improve on. I, like you, also struggle on standardized tests. I prepared for the DAT differently than any other test I've ever taken and was able to overcome those struggles. The thing about Destroyer is this... doing the problems is beneficial in the sense that they will help you be able to approach whatever you see in a timely fashion. I remember running out of time on my first Bootcamp test. After hitting Math Destroyer, I was not only able to reduce the amount of time I was taking per question, but I had time left over to go back and tackle tougher questions. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm really bummed I have to retake it, I don't wanna go through that again haha but ya gotta do what's necessary, right? I guess my other question would be this: Should I take it right away within the 90 days and keep studying the rest of the summer and 3 weeks into the school year? Or should I wait until winter break to study for it and take it again? I'm torn because I don't want to be completely burnt out and risk being distracted from school that last month, but I also don't want to lose everything and have to start from scratch.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm really bummed I have to retake it, I don't wanna go through that again haha but ya gotta do what's necessary, right? I guess my other question would be this: Should I take it right away within the 90 days and keep studying the rest of the summer and 3 weeks into the school year? Or should I wait until winter break to study for it and take it again? I'm torn because I don't want to be completely burnt out and risk being distracted from school that last month, but I also don't want to lose everything and have to start from scratch.

If you're trying to apply for this upcoming cycle then go ahead and take it within 90 days. If not, you have room to figure out what other options you have.