Advice on "career-switching" from teaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogsinsweaters

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for advice on how to approach a transition into being pre-med as a non-traditional. I was a non-science major in college and recently completed a one year masters degree in teaching. However, I started thinking about trying to pursue a career in medicine around my senior year but I wasn't sure at the time and continued with my teaching program. However, I developed a stronger interest in science while I did my masters in teaching, as well as did more shadowing and clinical volunteering, and decided I really wanted to transition into pursuing medicine. I had an offer at a school, but ended up choosing to move closer to my parents close to the beginning of the school year and so I am currently not employed but am interviewing soon for an open position. My options are to:
1) Teach and do the pre-reqs in the evenings and summer at the local state university starting in the spring or summer semester. Continue teaching until I have an acceptance in hand.
2) My parents have offered to let me live at home and help financially if I wanted to work part time as a scribe/CNA, do research, classes/typical pre-med stuff as a non-degree seeking student at the local state university
3) Teach for this year only and do a formal career-changer post-bacc next year (I have only taken gen chem, calc 2, and bio 1 during college, so I should be eligible for most programs, but they are pretty expensive) or just do a DIY post-bacc starting in the summer

My brother is a PGY2 and says I should just focus on pre-med stuff since finances are not a primary concern but I am concerned that Adcoms would be wary of someone who did not teach for at least a year or two and also am worried that it is a crazy move career wise to put all my eggs in a basket that may not work out. However, I do know that other people must be taking similar risks when they do formal post-baccs that do not allow for full-time employment. Any thoughts on what would be the wisest path forward?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Looking for advice on how to approach a transition into being pre-med as a non-traditional. I was a non-science major in college and recently completed a one year masters degree in teaching. However, I started thinking about trying to pursue a career in medicine around my senior year but I wasn't sure at the time and continued with my teaching program. However, I developed a stronger interest in science while I did my masters in teaching, as well as did more shadowing and clinical volunteering, and decided I really wanted to transition into pursuing medicine. I had an offer at a school, but ended up choosing to move closer to my parents close to the beginning of the school year and so I am currently not employed but am interviewing soon for an open position. My options are to:
1) Teach and do the pre-reqs in the evenings and summer at the local state university starting in the spring or summer semester. Continue teaching until I have an acceptance in hand.
2) My parents have offered to let me live at home and help financially if I wanted to work part time as a scribe/CNA, do research, classes/typical pre-med stuff as a non-degree seeking student at the local state university
3) Teach for this year only and do a formal career-changer post-bacc next year (I have only taken gen chem, calc 2, and bio 1 during college, so I should be eligible for most programs, but they are pretty expensive) or just do a DIY post-bacc starting in the summer

My brother is a PGY2 and says I should just focus on pre-med stuff since finances are not a primary concern but I am concerned that Adcoms would be wary of someone who did not teach for at least a year or two and also am worried that it is a crazy move career wise to put all my eggs in a basket that may not work out. However, I do know that other people must be taking similar risks when they do formal post-baccs that do not allow for full-time employment. Any thoughts on what would be the wisest path forward?

The bolded is NOT how we Adcoms think.

Is it a crazy career move? well, Medicine is a calling. What does your heart tell you? If this doesn't work out, you can always go back to teaching.

I recommend #3. That way you can devote 100% of your time to your coursework and Ecs.

Research is not that important.
read these:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

The bolded is NOT how we Adcoms think.

Is it a crazy career move? well, Medicine is a calling. What does your heart tell you? If this doesn't work out, you can always go back to teaching.

I recommend #3. That way you can devote 100% of your time to your coursework and Ecs.

Research is not that important.
read these:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Thank you! Good to know Adcoms won't think that way--I just read something about how they don't like "professional students" and thought I might look that way for using a masters for less than a year. Would you recommend a formal post-bac over DIY? Also, would it make sense to retake the pre-reqs that I've completed if they were taken 4-5 years ago?

Thank you! Good to know Adcoms won't think that way--I just read something about how they don't like "professional students" and thought I might look that way for using a masters for less than a year. Would you recommend a formal post-bac over DIY? Also, would it make sense to retake the pre-reqs that I've completed if they were taken 4-5 years ago?
For a career changer I think a formal PB program is better for the advising you'll get.
because knowledge decay is a real thing, I suggest strongly considering retaking the pre-reqs, as they'll help you on MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user