advice on aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premiergator

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need some advice on aways. i am already doing two ortho electives in nyc (im from nyc) i was curious where i should do the third one. i am not a stellar applicant by any means.

anyways, here is where i have to choose to do away upstate, LIJ, tufts, umich, temple, waiting to hear from sinai, maryland, and emory.

do u think i should do the elective somewhere like upstate or LIJ or basically go outside of ny.

the reason im askin is ive heard some ppl sayin u should do at ones close to ur geographic area and other saying u should go outside so that other programs will see that u're not just interested in stayin in nyc but willing to go elsewhere..

Members don't see this ad.

I am also in that same boat of trying to do away electives in other regions of the country to show residency programs that I want to move away from my current geographical area.

One question....When I turn in my ERAS in Sept, how will programs deciding whether to interview me or not (besides the ones i am rotating at) know that i am doing these away rotations on the East Coast and other places since my rotations aren't until Sept Oct Nov?

I just don't want to be screened out of an interview in NYC because I am from the Southwest and most people from this area do not go to NYC for residency.

When I turn in my ERAS in Sept, how will programs deciding whether to interview me or not (besides the ones i am rotating at) know that i am doing these away rotations on the East Coast and other places since my rotations aren't until Sept Oct Nov?

They won't unless you tell them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just don't want to be screened out of an interview in NYC because I am from the Southwest and most people from this area do not go to NYC for residency.

This is going to happen regardless. It's just the way it is that programs in your region will consider your application more seriously than those on the other side of the country. Most programs from afar will look at your app and think you are just applying all over for the hell of it. Any ties to a region, i.e. a rotation, family, etc. will help.

Thanks for the quick replies! I will keep those ideas in mind

still lookin for some help on my aways. if anyone got any insight, could use the help. thanks

good luck...doesn't really look like the place to come for advice.

good luck...doesn't really look like the place to come for advice.
Ask decent questions and you'll get decent answers.

Regarding the first poster: Any of those places would be fine. Do some research about the programs and go for the one you would most want to be at. Also, look at their requirements for rotations, you may have already missed some deadlines or may not want to jump through the hoops they require.