advice needed for the PT school process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texascaroline

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in August with a degree in Sports Management and have been working full time ever since. I recently realized that Phyiscal Therapy is where I would like to be. My major was more business intensive so this summer I will be going back to get my prereqs (2 Chem, 2 Physics, 2 A&P, 1 Psych, 1 Bio). I can finish all but one of these courses through 2 summer sessions and the fall session. I will also begin volunteering at clinics during the summer and I will be taking the GRE next month.

Couple of questions...
1. Due to the incredible difference in cost I will be taking my prereqs at a community college. Will this hurt my chances in the application process? (I got my Bachelors from a very respectable school with an overall GPA of 3.7)

2. (silly question) What is the best way to contact hospitals or clinics to see about volunteering? I know this seems strange because I am sure they get this alot but I'm not sure of the appropriate way to go about this.

3. Any other advice for someone in my situation?

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say take the classes at the community college to save some money. It will only hurt you if you don't do so well (which is the case with any school you choose). Based on your GPA, you should be fine.

Do some research of the hospitals you want to volunteer at and either contact the volunteer office and tell them you need to volunteer in the rehab unit or call the rehab dept directly and find out if they can direct you where to go. If possible go to the hospital directly. Remember, you will need a reference from a PT who supervises you so make sure that you make good contacts while you're at it!

Good luck!

Hey!
I would say pretty much the same, I took my prereqs in a community college and had not problem at all, just worry about having a great GPA!
I emailed the facility I wanted to do my observation hours with and they were super nice and helpful when they replied back. Of course hospitals are a great experience, and actually, I would try to call first to make sure who's the right person to talk to since people may be busy and not that helpful when you go the first time not knowing which where to go. I would also assume that private practices or therapy clinics could be easier to access since maybe not that many people approach them (compared to hospitals) and they would be really thankfull for the help you could offer. Good luck!