Advice? Low GPA High DAT? #Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milkman123

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to get some insight from those not at my university, because I just wish to see if there are any success stories out there?
I struggled heavily with mental illness (I.E. depression and things of this nature) which caused my transition into/through out college rough. Rough to the point where I am sitting at a 3.04 GPA and consider my sGPA garbage, I don't know it exactly but I'm pretty sure its trash.

I am a Junior and taking my DAT at the end of this summer (2019) , and am aiming HIGH for this DAT , like 23+ . Any incite on LOW Gpa's but high DAT situations?

Thank you all in advance, this is my first post on sdn.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll need to apply early and broadly (to schools you would actually attend if accepted). You should get at least a few interviews if you land a high DAT. Maybe someone who has struggled with similar things could speak to their experience with applying to dental school, but I’d be hesitant to talk about anxiety and depression and how they caused your grades to fall. Dental school will likely be much more stressful than undergrad, and you don’t want to give them the impression that you may not be able to handle the courseload of dental school.

This thread might be worth a read.

I got in with around a similar GPA and got a 24 on the DAT. Focused my entire time on my DAT for a few months because I knew it was going to be make or break for me. I would also suggest maybe looking into doing a DIY-PostBac to help your GPA a bit. I did a masters to help as well.

Ended up getting into 2 schools last cycle. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to get some insight from those not at my university, because I just wish to see if there are any success stories out there?
I struggled heavily with mental illness (I.E. depression and things of this nature) which caused my transition into/through out college rough. Rough to the point where I am sitting at a 3.04 GPA and consider my sGPA garbage, I don't know it exactly but I'm pretty sure its trash.

I am a Junior and taking my DAT at the end of this summer (2019) , and am aiming HIGH for this DAT , like 23+ . Any incite on LOW Gpa's but high DAT situations?

Thank you all in advance, this is my first post on sdn.
You are not a low gpa high dat scenario you are a low gpa NO dat scenario. Don't worry about getting in just focus solely on the dat. It is much easier to say you will get a 23+ than it is to actually get a 23+. There are plenty of good study guides and breakdowns on here to help with it. Check out the mod Artist's breakdown.

Can't really asses chances without a dat score. Just keep trucking along and improving your gpa, getting more shadowing and volunteering, and crush your dat. Good luck hombre.

Reactions: 1 users
Check out the mod Artist's breakdown.
Call and I shall answer. Here it is! :)Compilation - DAT Breakdown Collection! 2017-Present

Also OP, you'll need a DAT score before we can give you advice on how your application would look. Unfortunately, it's much harder than it seems to score a 23+. It seems like everyone on here has a high score, but there's a reason the average DAT score is still about 18. Aim high, but ask for advice when you have a score in hand. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user