2023-2024 Cycle Going Poorly; Need Advice + School List Revision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StillTryingtoGetThere

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m back, looking for y’alls advice on how to proceed with this year’s cycle (2023-2024) after finding little success so far.

Please see my demographics and stats below:
Demographics:
27 Years Old
Hispanic: South Asian and Hispanic (non-fluent, basic level Spanish)
Low-Socioeconomic Status
I grew up and went to undergrad in NYC but have lived in Texas for over 4 years. I have strong ties to the South, mainly El Paso/Juarez region.

Stats:
Graduated in 2018 with Bachelors of Science
CGPA: 3.17
SGPA: 2.94
  • Last 12 credits of this are post-bacc, all with an A
MCAT:
1st Attempt 8/2020 - 502
2nd Attempt 7/2023 – 500

CASPER (for the like 3 schools that recommended or required it):
Completed 9/28
Scores sent 10/14
3rd Quartile

Clinical / Volunteer Experience:
200 hours Volunteer Clinical Research Outreach (2023 – Present)
4000 hours as a Clinical Research Coordinator (2021 – Present)
3000 hours as a Medical Scribe (2018 – 2020)
1000 hours volunteering at a soup kitchen (2018 – Present)
300 hours as an EMT (2017-2018)
300 hours volunteering at a Free Health Clinic (2016 – 2019)
300 hours work in undergrad Chem Lab (2016-2018)
1000 hours of volunteer work tutoring low-income / underserved students (Multiple programs) (2015-2018)
70 hours shadowing (DO Emergency Medicine Physician and MD Internal Medicine Physician) (2017)

My personal statement and experiences have a strong focus on working with underserved and low-socioeconomic status communities. Deep personal connection to rural medicine, even though I’ve mainly lived in more urban areas.

Letter of Recs:
Lead PI at major academic hospital (supervisor during my time as a Clinical Research Coordinator)
Soup Kitchen non-profit CEO
PCHEM professor and undergrad lab PI
Nutrition Professor

Here is my current school list:
Orange: No secondary / Red: Rejected
A.T Still University – Kirksville COM: Secondary completed 10/4
Alabama COM: Secondary completed 10/7
Arkansas COM: Primary completed 10/21 (submitted waiver for missing DO letter)
Lake Erie COM: Secondary completed 9/29; Rejected 10/31
Lake Erie Brandenton COM: Secondary completed 9/29
Lincoln Memorial University – Debusk COM: Secondary completed 10/4
Marian University COM: Secondary completed 10/9
NYIT-AR COM: Secondary completed 10/13
West Virginia COM: Primary completed 9/20: pre-secondary rejection 9/21
Philadelphia/South Georgia COM: Primary/secondary completed 9/20
Burrell COM: Secondary completed 10/4
William Carey University COM: Primary submitted 9/29; No secondary yet
University of Pikeville-Kentucky COM: Secondary completed 10/11
PCOM Georgia: Primary/secondary completed 9/21
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences COM: Secondary completed 10/13; Rejected 11/3
University of the Incarnate World SOM: Secondary completed 10/16; Rejected 11/5

Touro COM: Primary completed 10/21; No secondary yet

I know things aren’t looking too good for me at the moment, my above school list was limited by my below 3.0 sGPA (I didn’t realize my sGPA was below a 3.0 until I received my AACOMAS verified GPA, due to a miscalculation on my part).

I’d like to maximize my chances of getting in this cycle, so are there any other schools I should apply to in order to do so? Please let me know the name of any other schools you think would consider me, and I can look into if they would take my application with a below 3.0 sGPA.

Here are schools that I’ve taken a look at who seem to have a strict cut-off for sGPA:
TUNCOM
DUQCOM
KHSC-COM

The only school I am considering adding at the moment is Noorda-COM. Any other school suggestions would be appreciated!

Here is also my current plan for the 2024-2025 cycle:
  • Retake MCAT Jan 13, 2024, I will reschedule if my FLs aren’t above a 506 this time. I just finished content review and have my first FL scheduled for this Saturday.
  • Take 2 science courses (6 credits) for Spring 2024, a grade of at least A- in both should push my science GPA to above a 3.0.
  • Shadow and get a DO letter of recommendation from one of the DO physicians in my office.
  • Apply earlier next cycle – around June.

Thank you all for the help! @Mr.Smile12 ; @Goro ; @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking the additional science courses to increase your sGPA to 3.0 is a good idea. Add more schools this week and I suggest these:
OCOM
BUCOM
DUQCOM
LUCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
ATSU-SOMA
MU-COM

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you Faha!

I went through and looked, and from your list, it seems LUCOM, Noorda-COM, and ICOM would consider me with a sGPA less than 3.0. I'll go ahead and submit those today.

Thank you Faha!

I went through and looked, and from your list, it seems LUCOM, Noorda-COM, and ICOM would consider me with a sGPA less than 3.0. I'll go ahead and submit those today.
Newer schools such as BUCOM, OCOM, KHSC-COM and DUQCOM may not have a strict 3.0 cutoff. They do need to fill their class.

Reactions: 2 users