Advice for Matching DO Ortho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0cHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current 3rd year DO student and have been wondering what it takes to match into an osteopathic orthopedic surgery residency. Obviously board scores are a key factor (USMLE = 241, COMLEX 677). I don't care whether I match MD or DO, but I think chances are slim as a DO trying to match into an MD residency for ortho especially. Is research a requirement (particularly in orthopedic surgery)? How many orthopedic surgery rotations should you do (particularly at academic centers that have residency positions) to have the best chance? Is one orthopedic LOR good enough, or should you obtain multiple? Do residencies prefer people who are originally from their area?

This may also seem like a silly question, but does race and body type/build play a role in determining whether you are a suitable for orthopedic surgery?

Appreciate all the feedback in advance. I am a long-time lurker, but am interested in keeping my options open now that I have my board scores and orthopedic surgery is high on my list.

Members don't see this ad.

More than your board scores. If it's ortho, you need to be all in. Checkers or wreckers. You'll be at a significant disadvantage if you decide late as you can be sure that rest of the crew would be gunning hard.

Also information regarding what it takes to get into ortho is widely available and frequently posted, be sure to use the search function.

Awesome thanks, but is it really necessary to know right now, even if my first opportunity at a surgery selective rotation is only next June? Is there really much I can be doing in the ortho field when I don't have the chance to get into an ortho rotation early?

With your Comlex your pretty much set... The mean comlex for ortho was around 576 I believe?
According to the wisdom of sdn, OGME accredited ortho spots will be most interested in your audition rotation and LORs, clinical grades, and comlex. If you work hard, ask questions, and are likable during your rotations in ortho then you should be able to match.