Advice for Good 'ole DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaxiDriver

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a senior that needs advice on whether I have a good chance at DO schools (and which ones in particular)?

I only have a 2.8 science gpa, (osteopathic sci. gpa is only bio, chem and phys, right? extra sciences include nueroscience and physiology. best grade in science classes was B+ for all of orgo) 3.1 overall, usnews top 20 school in atlanta known for med, regular ECs like volunteer, although i did joint start a club with some friends that still needs some work.

i'm taking physics right now and i'm afraid i'll score low in that. only other science class is an upper level Bio. i'm taking the MCAT in april, diag scores looking pretty good. what do i need to have a shot at DO?

I am a resident of Kentucky.......bowling green, KY.

Any advice for me? any DO schools? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there TaxiDriver,
It's hard to say what will get you into DO school because it is a combination of factors that determines that. But here are a few pointers to keep in mind:

1. The average GPA to get into a DO school is about a 3.3-3.4, so try to work at increasing your GPA this last year.
2. Do well on the MCAT! (I think that with a score at about a 24 can definitely get you in, but since your GPA is on the low side, getting a high MCAT would be ideal).
3. Continue with your EC's
4. Make sure you shadow a DO to learn more about osteopathic medicine. DO schools want people who know about and are interested in the philosophy.

Most importantly, DO schools choose applicants by looking at their application as a whole, so well-roundedness is the key. But you definitely have a chance if you can raise your GPA a bit and/or if you do well on the MCAT.

Particular schools to apply to is hard to tell you. I recommend you look in a book (i.e. Princeton Review: Book of Medical Schools) that can give you information about each school. Look at factors such as location, how many out of state applicants they interview/accept, etc... For example, in your case, applying to Pikeville may be ideal since most schools show some type of preference toward their residents. But of course, apply to schools you would be willing to attend if accepted. And if you like a school that may not give preference to out of staters, apply because you never know who they are looking for!

I wish you the best of luck!

Taxi,

Assuming that you went to EU, the allopathic schools (UK, UL) won't want to deal with you unless you make better than a 32 on the mcat. PCSOM probably will entertain you IF you do at least a 26 or so on the mcat.

PM me if you want other details and stories.

Definitely ought to shadow a D.O., however. There are ton of them in Atlanta (or close by).

If you looking at Family Medicine, Peds, IM, or any GP, come on down and look at Pikeville. They look for a certain kind of student down here, if you fit that profile, MCAT can be really downplayed because it really doesn't matter anyway. There will always be the same amount of people flunk out of each class no matter what their MCAT scores are. It's just the way it is.