Advice for first year MD planning to apply to MD/PhD at end of year one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A&Ox4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi MD/PhDs and MSTPs

I really want to do research (particularly neurology and genomics) in addition to clinical practice but so far I only have clinical research experience and am starting in the MD program at Drexel in a couple of weeks. I don't have lab research yet due to working full time in two medical administrative jobs while taking my pre-med pre-reqs post-bac, volunteering in the ER, and volunteering in clinical research in the ER also. (I was asked to start assisting a clinical study right when I was going to look for a volunteer lab position.)

I applied MD only because I'm excited to just get started on my med school education and knew I was not competitive for a dual degree yet -- after being accepted to Drexel I applied for their MD/PhD program and was turned down due to low undergrad gpa (in architecture -- my post-bac science gpa is 3.84) and lack of lab research, but encouraged to apply again at the end of the year.

I know I need to get started in some lab research asap and I hope to meet with the MD/PhD Admissions director soon for her advice, but I know you all must have a huge amount of helpful advice you could share. I've only completed the basic pre-med pre-requisites so my knowledge / lab education is not great but my interest and motivation are high.

Right now I don't even know how to go about finding a lab research position..? Also are any of you / people you know doing research that ties in neurology and genomics?

Thank you very much for any advice / comments / criticism!

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully your neurology department has a webpage. Click on the link that will show faculty research interests...browse through them and then just shoot them an email with your CV. Research PI's tend to be friendly for the most part, especially if you're interested in their work.

Another way of doing so is to schedule a meeting with the department chairman and ask him/her if he/she is aware of any openings in labs. Working in the lab during M1 and M2 year is pretty do-able especially if you skip your classes.

Thanks Andy for the great advice! Good to know about classes :)